User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    most people wouldn't think that an INFP could do what I do... I cant show what I am feeling but the feelings are still there, when I see a family crying because they just lost there house I cant go over and cry with them. I cant show that I am scared when I am trying to save someone. I cant show that I am mad when we don't save a house. But all of those emotions are still there. I think those who say they can "turn off" some emotions have never felt them to their full extent
    Me neither. Emotions just stayed there inside of me.

Because I'm a MAN!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This is something that we all master you know, some of the best reading I've done lately has been of Karen Horney and people developing her theories which are really a development of Freuds, the central point is that we dont just repress infantile sexuality but affect and emotion, if its a pretty harsh sort of repression which is integrated/becomes adaptive then a neurotic trend can begin.

I've got a book in my to be read pile which suggests that most adult difficulties stem from the subconscious realisation that you've betrayed yourself and been a phony from the earliest years of childhood when you compromise your infantile rage in order to get the love of parents or carers.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Just read a book where it was stated that narsistic people can turn off their empathy. Would that be considered as choosing not to feel, turning off your empahty?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I don't know. Would such a person still feel happiness, excitement, anger, frustration, fear, etc., but just not be able to sense those in others?

MBTI
    ENFP

Is that just replacing the feeling with apathy do you reckon? If it is, I'm very good at this. I don't know if it's just that I chose not to feel or simply numb the feelings that I do have but I certainly do this often! Not sure that I would say that I use it as a coping mechanism as such because I would say it's more widespread than that now but I probably started out that way
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Prompted by Gromit's thread on whether we can choose to feel a certain way, I would like to consider what happens when we choose not to feel. By this I mean, not to replace feeling A with feeling B, but simply to stop feeling A. This could be specific and situational ("I don't like feeling defensive when I receive criticism."), or more general ("I don't like feeling angry, or giddy, or . . .)

Is there a downside to stopping a feeling without replacing it with something else? Is that even possible, or are we always feeling something, even if we do not realize or recognize it? Can we stop too many feelings, such that we end up not feeling much at all? Is there such a thing as an emotional vacuum? If we prevent it from being filled back up with emotions, is it filled by something else?
    Choosing NOT to be human, won't make you any less human.

MBTI
    STP

Prompted by Gromit's thread on whether we can choose to feel a certain way, I would like to consider what happens when we choose not to feel. By this I mean, not to replace feeling A with feeling B, but simply to stop feeling A. This could be specific and situational ("I don't like feeling defensive when I receive criticism."), or more general ("I don't like feeling angry, or giddy, or . . .)

Is there a downside to stopping a feeling without replacing it with something else? Is that even possible, or are we always feeling something, even if we do not realize or recognize it? Can we stop too many feelings, such that we end up not feeling much at all? Is there such a thing as an emotional vacuum? If we prevent it from being filled back up with emotions, is it filled by something else?
    Can you just stop thinking? I replace thought A with thought B, but to simply stop thinking. Can you stop a thought without replacing it with another? I can do that with feelings.

edit: this is abstract as I havent really tried or put much thought into it...busy at the moment. Just turning it around to thought. I do generally replace thought A with thought B though.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Can you just stop thinking? I replace thought A with thought B, but to simply stop thinking. Can you stop a thought without replacing it with another? I can do that with feelings.

edit: this is abstract as I havent really tried or put much thought into it...busy at the moment. Just turning it around to thought. I do generally replace thought A with thought B though.
    I find it very hard to stop thinking, but I know people who say they do that all the time, at will. They are surprised that I find it hard. Perhaps they find it similarly hard to stop feeling, while I find it easier.

MBTI
    STP

I find it very hard to stop thinking, but I know people who say they do that all the time, at will. They are surprised that I find it hard. Perhaps they find it similarly hard to stop feeling, while I find it easier.
    Doing and interacting with the world around me is the only way I know how to get out thinking mode. I dont always feel.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    Frail? no, but the level that I can feel so deep that it creeps people out.
    What do you mean? Is it the way you express what you're feeling that affects others this much?

I've always assumed that everyone felt the same thing on the inside, but just showed it to greater or lesser degrees.