• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black eyeliner = depression?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have this theory that girls who wear black eyeliner on the top and bottom of their eyes either have struggled with depression with their past (and have what I call residual depression) or are currently suffering from depression. There's something tragic that the eyeliner signifies that I think the person identifies with or wants to communicate to others. I'm looking to test my hypothesis.

Do you agree with the generalization made above? If not, is there a tendency towards depression?

Is the generalization too narrow? Does the black eyeliner stand for something else? Attention-seeking? Histrionics? Intensity?

Here's a perfect example from an ex:

View attachment 1152

Last edited:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I have this theory that girls who wear black eyeliner on the top and bottom of their eyes either have struggled with depression with their past (and have what I call residual depression) or are currently suffering from depression. There's something tragic that the eyeliner signifies that I think the person identifies with or wants to communicate to others. I'm looking to test my hypothesis.

Do you agree with the generalization made above? If not, is there a tendency towards depression?

Is the generalization too narrow? Does the black eyeliner stand for something else? Attention-seeking? Histrionics? Intensity?

I thought you were joking for second.

I wouldn't say depressed moreso romantic and a bit dramatic. The intended emotional effect I think is morose but not necessarily depressed.

And some would say wearing too much make up?

And do you have pics?

You can definitely apply eyeliner, even black eyeliner to both the top and bottom lids and not have it look dramatic or even very noticeable. I think you are talking about Elizabeth Taylor in 'Cleopatra' eyeliner.

sassafrassquatch

emokittyfw5.png

/Down the block, not across the street

chippinchunk

MBTI Type
INFJ
:shock: Wow...no, really, WOW! I wear black eyeliner, and the only reason I use it is because I think my eyes kind of look blan? And if I do put eyeliner on top and bottom it's mostly because of me wanting to see my eyes glow. I mean, you really see my brown eyes when their surrounded in a nice layer of applied black.:D

If depressed, I dont even care to wear make-up, at the time, putting it on seems pointless- also eating and moving in general-. I doubt it has anything to do with depression. :yes:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
emokittyfw5.png

/Down the block, not across the street

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Now you're just being mean.

Why is the girl wearing kitty ears?

I wear kitty ears. But, I'm Asian. I'm allowed to. And I'm not goth. At all.

I used to wear bunny ears around my dorm in college, especially while studying in the kitchen. One girl (she was drunk) stopped and asked me why I did it and I said I liked wearing them. I think they're cute! I used to fold one ear half way down and the other straight up.

I realize this makes me sound like a TOTAL DORK but I think it's funny.

Over the Xmas break my aunt discovered soem antler ears and a christmas hat headband that I bought stored in the closet. Seriously, animal ear headbands are the best cheap accessory/seasonal favors EVER.

But back to the OP...hmm, who's the guy who really LOVES goth girls? Not Uber...JonJT? It was in another thread.

I'm sure he could share his opinions.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:yim_rolling_on_the_ : or :steam:? I can't decide!

Black eyeliner is worn by people who want to emphasize their eyes.

Most disturbing use of eyeliner: On my high school Chem teacher (reliving his Green Day-esque adolescence for some Homecoming theme-d day).

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
You have black eyeliner and black eyeliner + extras. Are you talking about both?
BlackEyeLiner.jpg
Amy-Lee-of-Evanescence-Face-Poster-C10120888.jpeg

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
I think thick black eyeliner is either worn by the attention seeking or those who THINK they're depressed -but really aren't (referring to self about a year ago)
Also, I have heard some people say that heavy makeup is a means of protection - sort of like hiding yourself from the world.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I think thick black eyeliner is either worn by the attention seeking or those who THINK they're depressed -but really aren't (referring to self about a year ago)
Also, I have heard some people say that heavy makeup is a means of protection - sort of like hiding yourself from the world.

IOW the female equivalent of growing long hair and/or a beard?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
*lol*. In makeup parlance, black eyeliner gives definition to the eyes, simply. I consider it one of the makeup basic essentials actually. It helps you look more polished and put together straightaway, if not overdone. I wear it almost daily at work, since I deal mainly with senior people, and I look wayyy younger than my age. So the look is sorta like the first picture carebear put up. No way Evanescence's level of makeup though. lol.

So Esoteri's right in some ways that it is a kind of mask. But in a positive sense, it is also about enhancing your natural features? I've never been a fan of thick makeup, unless it is for performances.

I'm not certain depressives would even be able to work up the energy to makeup and go out in thick goth fashion (JJJ is the guy you want, Cze) - that attracts a lot of attention, which may not be what depressives can/want to deal with. Angsty, wanting to be different, wanting to stand out folks, yes, but that's not depressive in any way.

Sassafrassquatch's picture :yim_rolling_on_the_

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah Edahn, you're gonna have to be way more specific about the style of eyeliner application you have in mind for this theory, cos the possibilities are just too diverse and too obviously indicative of different intentions.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:cry: I've always worn black (or navy blue!) eyeliner in my attempt to look my age! :sad: It is not reflective of my mental state at all! :yes: Those of us with dark hair tend to look better in darker eyeliners instead of lighter ones anyways! :laugh:

:tongue: plus- I think that most goth/emo kids are only WISHING to be all deep, dark and depressed in hopes that it will make them more dangerously cool than just being a pampered suburban teen! :)

:jesus: no offense to anyone btw?!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if i was depressed and was putting on dark eyeliner I'd probably get frustrated and poke out both of my eyes with the pencil, and hoped I died.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here in Sweden, at least, it seems to be a clear indication of being emo.

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
:cry: I've always worn black (or navy blue!) eyeliner in my attempt to look my age! :sad: It is not reflective of my mental state at all! :yes: Those of us with dark hair tend to look better in darker eyeliners instead of lighter ones anyways! :laugh:

:tongue: plus- I think that most goth/emo kids are only WISHING to be all deep, dark and depressed in hopes that it will make them more dangerously cool than just being a pampered suburban teen! :)

:jesus: no offense to anyone btw?!

From saying that you have just proved you have no idea of what goth is. Lol. Don't worry.
Most of of the population still believes all the false stereotypes that are floating around about "What Goth Is" ^^

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
;) mostly sticking it to emo kids actually! :laugh: I just threw in goth at the last minute without really thinking because it had been thrown around quite a bit so far! :D

btw- Robert Smith just wouldn't be himself without his eyeliner! :)

:tongue: did you totally ignore my disclaimer!?! :rolli:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there's a difference between a little black eyeliner and really thick black eyeliner that gives more of the raccoon effect -- and the latter is what I assume Edahn was referring to??

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wear black eyeliner because it shows up better, not because I'm depressed. I will say that anyone wearing make-up "defensively" will be pretty obvious. At least to me. I used to wear blood red lipstick when I wanted people to back the heck off of me. It worked.

lastrailway

Well, no, I don't think black eyeliner is a sign of depression.
For one thing, it's kind of cultural, lot's of North African and Asian girls prefer it. For another, it looks good to pretty much every girl, provided their skin is more dark than fair.
Of course, there can be ways of using it that might indeed give a bit tragic impression, but that's not the typical use of the black eyeliner.

On the other hand, maybe I use it myself and felt like reacting ;)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
OP edited.

The type of make up I'm talking about it slightly dramatic more than Carebear's first pic but less than the second.