User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Lightbulb Black eyeliner = depression?

I have this theory that girls who wear black eyeliner on the top and bottom of their eyes either have struggled with depression with their past (and have what I call residual depression) or are currently suffering from depression. There's something tragic that the eyeliner signifies that I think the person identifies with or wants to communicate to others. I'm looking to test my hypothesis.

Do you agree with the generalization made above? If not, is there a tendency towards depression?

Is the generalization too narrow? Does the black eyeliner stand for something else? Attention-seeking? Histrionics? Intensity?

Here's a perfect example from an ex:

17508225238828l.jpg
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 01-07-2008 at 02:54 PM.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I have this theory that girls who wear black eyeliner on the top and bottom of their eyes either have struggled with depression with their past (and have what I call residual depression) or are currently suffering from depression. There's something tragic that the eyeliner signifies that I think the person identifies with or wants to communicate to others. I'm looking to test my hypothesis.

Do you agree with the generalization made above? If not, is there a tendency towards depression?

Is the generalization too narrow? Does the black eyeliner stand for something else? Attention-seeking? Histrionics? Intensity?

I thought you were joking for second.

I wouldn't say depressed moreso romantic and a bit dramatic. The intended emotional effect I think is morose but not necessarily depressed.

And some would say wearing too much make up?

And do you have pics?

You can definitely apply eyeliner, even black eyeliner to both the top and bottom lids and not have it look dramatic or even very noticeable. I think you are talking about Elizabeth Taylor in 'Cleopatra' eyeliner.

/Down the block, not across the street

MBTI
    INFJ

Wow...no, really, WOW! I wear black eyeliner, and the only reason I use it is because I think my eyes kind of look blan? And if I do put eyeliner on top and bottom it's mostly because of me wanting to see my eyes glow. I mean, you really see my brown eyes when their surrounded in a nice layer of applied black.

If depressed, I dont even care to wear make-up, at the time, putting it on seems pointless- also eating and moving in general-. I doubt it has anything to do with depression.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post

/Down the block, not across the street
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

Now you're just being mean.

Why is the girl wearing kitty ears?

I wear kitty ears. But, I'm Asian. I'm allowed to. And I'm not goth. At all.

I used to wear bunny ears around my dorm in college, especially while studying in the kitchen. One girl (she was drunk) stopped and asked me why I did it and I said I liked wearing them. I think they're cute! I used to fold one ear half way down and the other straight up.

I realize this makes me sound like a TOTAL DORK but I think it's funny.

Over the Xmas break my aunt discovered soem antler ears and a christmas hat headband that I bought stored in the closet. Seriously, animal ear headbands are the best cheap accessory/seasonal favors EVER.

But back to the OP...hmm, who's the guy who really LOVES goth girls? Not Uber...JonJT? It was in another thread.

I'm sure he could share his opinions.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

:yim_rolling_on_the_ : or :steam:? I can't decide!

Black eyeliner is worn by people who want to emphasize their eyes.

Most disturbing use of eyeliner: On my high school Chem teacher (reliving his Green Day-esque adolescence for some Homecoming theme-d day).

MBTI
    INFP

You have black eyeliner and black eyeliner + extras. Are you talking about both?
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

I think thick black eyeliner is either worn by the attention seeking or those who THINK they're depressed -but really aren't (referring to self about a year ago)
    Also, I have heard some people say that heavy makeup is a means of protection - sort of like hiding yourself from the world.
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by EsoteriEccentri View Post
    I think thick black eyeliner is either worn by the attention seeking or those who THINK they're depressed -but really aren't (referring to self about a year ago)
    Also, I have heard some people say that heavy makeup is a means of protection - sort of like hiding yourself from the world.
    IOW the female equivalent of growing long hair and/or a beard?
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

*lol*. In makeup parlance, black eyeliner gives definition to the eyes, simply. I consider it one of the makeup basic essentials actually. It helps you look more polished and put together straightaway, if not overdone. I wear it almost daily at work, since I deal mainly with senior people, and I look wayyy younger than my age. So the look is sorta like the first picture carebear put up. No way Evanescence's level of makeup though. lol.

So Esoteri's right in some ways that it is a kind of mask. But in a positive sense, it is also about enhancing your natural features? I've never been a fan of thick makeup, unless it is for performances.

I'm not certain depressives would even be able to work up the energy to makeup and go out in thick goth fashion (JJJ is the guy you want, Cze) - that attracts a lot of attention, which may not be what depressives can/want to deal with. Angsty, wanting to be different, wanting to stand out folks, yes, but that's not depressive in any way.

Sassafrassquatch's picture :yim_rolling_on_the_