• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black eyeliner = depression?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think drugs are necessarily linked, but I think you'd find a strong correlation between some drugs like coke and depression, especially with addicts.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Was this woman depressed?

Tammy_Faye_Bakker_closeup_2005-750_750.jpg

Sometimes yes and sometimes it's a matter of not knowing what the hell you're doing. Judging from your ex's photo, she appears to be the latter.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My ex was depressed and neurotic. No doubt about it. Her clothes are funky because she's a designer. She pulls it off well here in LA.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Was this woman depressed?

Tammy_Faye_Bakker_closeup_2005-750_750.jpg

This is what I call "big makeup". She also had "big hair" and "big nails".

This is not the same as the type of makeup that conveys the depression of the wearer (though I'm sure Tammy Faye did experience depression).

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I've experimented with makeup since I was 13, and yes, I have been depressed before. *shrugging shoulders* I have been told by my sister that she has noticed, over the years, that I seem to wear more dramatic eyes when I am anxious (eye liner). I like wearing the dark eye liner, or rather dark brown eye shadow (always smudged to soften the look, of course!) because it showcases my dark eyes.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
This is what I call "big makeup". She also had "big hair" and "big nails".

This is not the same as the type of makeup that conveys the depression of the wearer (though I'm sure Tammy Faye did experience depression).
Tammy Faye had that makeup on even when she was dying. IMO there is definitely a problem with a persons mind whose appearance is that extreme.

When I was younger I was very insecure. So much so that I would never let anyone see me without makeup on. I would reapply my makeup several times a day. Today I am much more comfortable in my own skin and can be seen without makeup now and then. Imo I wear it tastefully and on days when I am blue, wearing makeup is a pick me up.

Edahn I was not trying to bash your ex. She's attractive (and so tiny! :smile:) and as a makeup artist I think she has the ability to look better than she does in that picture. Prior to getting hitched, knocked up and moving to NC I grew up in Miami and worked as a makeup artist on South Beach for years, so I don't think I'm totally clueless on the subject.

Upon moving to NC I found that woman here don't wear much makeup at all. I had to tone it way down because the Senoritas in Miami liked the dramatic look. I'm not sure if they were all depressed although our DR neighbor did tell us that all the woman in Miami were addicted to Xanax.

Off topic I know, but can anyone guess this woman's age?

handgjohnson.jpg

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Off topic I know, but can anyone guess this woman's age?
Her neck and arms give away her age more than her demeanor. She has a young attitude, but her neck looks about ...62?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This photo would have made it a LOT tougher to guess her age:

bio_betsey.jpg

She almost looks like she's 30 something!

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I like Betsey's happy style. I wouldn't wear her stuff myself (not that I could anyway... :rolli:), but it's great to look at :)

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
How did you cheat? You can't search for a picture without a name...? Tell me your secret!! :yes:
1- Quote Jen's post, so you get to see the link for the pic.
2- Copy that link without the last part, ie without the actual name of the pic.
3- Enter this into your Location Bar. That lands you in the picture directory of the original website (a blog) Jen got the pic from.
4- Locate the name of the pic she linked to: handgjohnson.jpg
5- Look at when it was last modified: 28-Feb-2007
6- Now go to the homepage of that blog.
7- Look for the February 2007 entry... and voila!

(That was way more than 3 steps. Did you manage to follow :devil: ?)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if black eye-liner is associated with social attitudes that foster a kind of cynicism and depression. Also, people who are depressed that don't wear black-eyeliner, black clothes, walk slumped, or whatever, are less likely to be noticed for their depression. For example, I was rather depressed as a teen, but tended to smile to greet people, so it just didn't make it on anyone's radar.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Betsey Johnson is one of my ALL TIME favorite designers!!