• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black eyeliner = depression?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've experimented with makeup since I was 13, and yes, I have been depressed before. *shrugging shoulders* I have been told by my sister that she has noticed, over the years, that I seem to wear more dramatic eyes when I am anxious (eye liner). I like wearing the dark eye liner, or rather dark brown eye shadow (always smudged to soften the look, of course!) because it showcases my dark eyes.

AHA!! What's the connection between the dramatic look and anxiety? (see questions below, too)

Edahn I was not trying to bash your ex. She's attractive (and so tiny! :smile:) and as a makeup artist I think she has the ability to look better than she does in that picture. Prior to getting hitched, knocked up and moving to NC I grew up in Miami and worked as a makeup artist on South Beach for years, so I don't think I'm totally clueless on the subject.

Gotcha. I didn't take offense anyway. :)

Upon moving to NC I found that woman here don't wear much makeup at all. I had to tone it way down because the Senoritas in Miami liked the dramatic look. I'm not sure if they were all depressed although our DR neighbor did tell us that all the woman in Miami were addicted to Xanax.

AHA!

toonia said:
I wonder if black eye-liner is associated with social attitudes that foster a kind of cynicism and depression.

Two questions:
1. Where is the association from? Is it cultural or universal?
2. Why do depressed or cynical people wear clothes that suggest cynicism/depression/dramatic intensity? I can think of a few reasons, but I'm not sure: (a) it calms them down and is a form of release/expression (b) it acts as a signal to warn and attract others (c) social identification with like-minded people, a way to relieve loneliness (my money's mostly here)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
1- Quote Jen's post, so you get to see the link for the pic.
2- Copy that link without the last part, ie without the actual name of the pic.
3- Enter this into your Location Bar. That lands you in the picture directory of the original website (a blog) Jen got the pic from.
4- Locate the name of the pic she linked to: handgjohnson.jpg
5- Look at when it was last modified: 28-Feb-2007
6- Now go to the homepage of that blog.
7- Look for the February 2007 entry... and voila!

(That was way more than 3 steps. Did you manage to follow :devil: ?)
Goodness gracious! You should work for the FBI or something!

heart

heart on fire
I was a teenager in the 1980s when we used to take eye pencil, melt with match and then make the whole rim black...well I most often used smoke blue. Almost everyone did it back then.

I wear black eyeliner because it shows up better, not because I'm depressed. I will say that anyone wearing make-up "defensively" will be pretty obvious. At least to me. I used to wear blood red lipstick when I wanted people to back the heck off of me. It worked.

I wear deeper red shades of lipstick because my husband digs it. It is actually a compromise because he would prefer screaming red.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
This photo would have made it a LOT tougher to guess her age:

She almost looks like she's 30 something!
Interesting photo choice. :huh:

Is this woman depressed?

Before-
lb_liv__1183538070_amy_winehouse_ne.jpg

After-

teeth-amy-winehouse-400a071807.jpg

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
WHOA! I didn't realise Amy Winehouse was missing teeth. Yikes.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Amy Wineho - FO SHO depressed...drug addiction. She looks more histrionic with that absurd (ABSURD!) makeup.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
AHA!! What's the connection between the dramatic look and anxiety? (see questions below, too)
I don't know... *shrugging shoulders again*

If I really think about it, in "those" times, I was wearing more make-up... period. I think I was trying to hide myself behind a "mask". I didn't like what I had seen without make-up. Thankfully, I only do my eyes now, very little blush and very light lip tint (I generally don't like lipstick).

BTW, Tammy Faye, poor woman... she had her eyes and lips tattood (sp?)

Two questions:
1. Where is the association from? Is it cultural or universal?
2. Why do depressed or cynical people wear clothes that suggest cynicism/depression/dramatic intensity? I can think of a few reasons, but I'm not sure: (a) it calms them down and is a form of release/expression (b) it acts as a signal to warn and attract others (c) social identification with like-minded people, a way to relieve loneliness (my money's mostly here)

I have no idea why anybody dresses the way they do. I have always dressed very conservatively, so my anxious days didn't reflect on my clothing... just my make-up.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I forgot you're not American. :blush:
Certainly, you would be a great special agent.
Could be, but I'm too chicken for field work, and office work would bore me to tears :D But thanks anyway for the compliment! Though quite frankly I'm living with a computer wiz at home and believe me, what I did with that pic is NOTHING compared to what he does on a routine basis :laugh:

williams10margaret

Hello there, does somebody possess any thoughts with regards to the the easy way acquire the "cat eye" look using eye liner?