User Tag List

123 Last

Default What do you wish your parents had done for you as a child?

What do you wish your parents had done for you as a child?

What did they do which really stands out as significant?

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    More quality time spent together and emotional closeness, really getting to know and support me as an individual. That was lacking. And also, encouragement with...anything really...could have been nice.

They took care of me as best as they could and stuck around, so I can't really complain, considering that some kids don't even have that.

-I wish they would have forced me to be a tennis pro!

-I wish my mom didn't tell me about ALL her problems, it was hard to deal with (emotionally) as a young teenager.

-Wish I could've hung out with my Dad more, he worked the graveyard shift.

-They let me be independent and encouraged me to make my own decisions.

-They truly cared and would always let me know, great parents overall!

-My mom taught me how to manage money well, and about good work ethic.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Enneagram
    CFV

I wish they would have treated me like I was an important part of their life instead of just investing all their time in work and drugs.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm not complaining, not in the slightest...

A harsher and higher quality education at a younger age.

Oh, and they taught me lots of... Stuff. To be honest, I pretty much disregard everything they've taught me... But those teachings were the foundation to another step. Anyways, I'm pretty sure they taught me something of value and I'm pretty sure I listened. Maybe.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

I wish they would have encouraged my intellectual growth in both academics and life. Maybe even harnessed my talents or given me a bit of knowledge.

What stands out the most is what they didn't do, what they failed to do.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Would have liked to go camping more. My dads idea of camping was a two star hotel. Playing sports with my Dad would have been nice. Mom was pretty perfect but it would have been nice if she did more (occasional) elaborate spending on me and involved herself in lobbying for me in school instead of simply allowing me to get the default treatment from those institutions.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    More quality time spent together and emotional closeness, really getting to know and support me as an individual. That was lacking.
    That. I never really felt understood, accepted, or supported by my parent when I was a child; and I often felt as if I had to be parenting them... and instead of being concerned, they were oblivious. They were also inaccessible -- my mom, because of her inability to stop trying to make people feel better, and my dad, because he always had to be right and was a poor listener.

This is all still the case, pretty much, too, and we have a large rift in our relationship nowadays because of it. I never could just be me, I always had to change myself to accommodate them somehow in order for the relationship to work, where I can't perceive they have really ever changed anything, and when I've been me, I've been slapped down in some way.

They took care of me as best as they could and stuck around, so I can't really complain, considering that some kids don't even have that.
    Both of my parents made sure I knew how to read and faithfully took me to the libraries and book fairs.

My dad allowed me to go to church and explore faith and other similar things, although he hated the church. He would even drive me in and drop me off.

My mom always made sure my basic needs were taken care of -- food, clothes, home. She also made sure I had a car and paid insurance to drive where I needed to go, when I was old enough, and she paid off my college loan for me as best as she could so that I could focus on my limited resources on my family. (I wasn't a "child-child" then, but I was still her child and it was a sign of love.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I wish they'd grown a money bearing cash tree in the backyard. Other than that I think they did a great job overall. I mean...look at me. I was really lucky.

I do wish mum had given me a backpack on that camping trip. The suitcase was kind of embarrassing. Bless her sweet heart.

my mom coulda been less like the landlady in kung fu hustle. probably could have had more friends around.

my dad could have not made me get crew cuts and stuff (kind of a stiff military guy)

otherwise, they did their best..