User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 91

  1. #51
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,450

    Default

    For the safety of all involved... BACK TO THE TOPIC! :footballreferee:

    I wish that my parents had made me do more sports. After all, I liked them okay when I was involved - I didn't love them, necessarily. But I ended up becoming unathletic and hating sports, and I can't seem to turn that around at the moment (except for going to the gym and such). I guess I don't see the gym as natural, and I'd rather enjoy a sport like running or soccer. It seems like it would have been fun if I started earlier.

    The fact that the above is one of the only things I can think of makes me grateful for my family.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  2. #52
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,546

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    He's serious, Rebe. What's up with you and Wind In the Willows, Victor?
    It's well written. It reads well. And my parents read it to me as a child.

    It's available to us on our computer screens. And the telephone is available for free.

    In fact it is just as easy to connect two as it is to connect three.

    So let me extend my invitation to both you Rebe and you Fidelia to read Wind in the Willows from our computer screen, on the telephone, to one another, turn and turn about.

    So Rebe reads the first paragraph and Fidelia reads the second paragraph and I read the third, and so on until we have read the chapter.

    What can I say? Wind in the Willows is simply delightful and Mole and Ratty and Toad are my friends and I would like you to meet them.

  3. #53
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    I don't wish that my parents had done anything differently for me, as I feel that they did everything they were supposed to do. They were there for me when I needed them, they always made me feel loved and wanted, and they supported me no matter what I did.

    My younger brother, however, I wish they would have been harder on. They gave him everything they gave me but instead of disciplining him a little harder when he started to get spoiled, they acquiesced to his whining and now he's a spoiled brat who expects the world to bend over for him. Drives me bonkers.

    Probably the thing they did for me that stands out the most was how they were toward me during my depression. They always stuck by me and supported me and even though my Dad did lose his patience with me a few times, I know it was only because he was a naturally up-beat person and had a hard time understanding why I was depressed and not because he didn't love me.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  4. #54
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's well written. It reads well. And my parents read it to me as a child.

    It's available to us on our computer screens. And the telephone is available for free.

    In fact it is just as easy to connect two as it is to connect three.

    So let me extend my invitation to both you Rebe and you Fidelia to read Wind in the Willows from our computer screen, on the telephone, to one another, turn and turn about.

    So Rebe reads the first paragraph and Fidelia reads the second paragraph and I read the third, and so on until we have read the chapter.

    What can I say? Wind in the Willows is simply delightful and Mole and Ratty and Toad are my friends and I would like you to meet them.
    I already am acquainted with Ratty and Mole and Toad and like them very well. However, I find it odd that you have been on this kick for at least a year. Surely you've already gotten it read. And if everyone's turned you down for it, perhaps it is worth investigating why. Your very insistence makes them less likely to want to. The invitation in this thread seems sort of extraneous and unrelated. And you don't respond to normal back and forth exchange, which makes me want to distance myself. I also notice that your invitations tend to be made almost exclusively towards women, which makes them feel uncomfortable as well. Notice that Rebe already responded and said that the invitation was creepy. Not saying that to be unkind, but if you haven't considered these factors, perhaps it is time.

  5. #55
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    - I wish they taught me to experience life and find challenges and be strong and courageous instead of teaching me to be afraid/anxious of everything.
    I'm sorry. That was part of my parent's legacy to me as well (as well as the legacy of my subculture): Fear and distrust the world, and live in constant anxiety/fear of loss. It's a sad lesson.

    But it sounds as if you see it now, and you can still claim what should have been yours from birth. What I learned throughout my own trials (which were like emerging from a dank dead chrysalis) is that there is a lot of love and beauty in the world, if you embrace courage and step out into the light. Parental legacy is not all there is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Somewhat. I am INFP after all, but I also grew up in the individualistic, independent, slightly selfish, personal goal attaining American culture. My life is mine, not my future husband's and only partially my future children's. MINE.


    Good for you. I did the "self-sacrificing" thing for far too long and it bleeds you dry. There's a balance to be had; we have to preserve ourselves as well as others.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #56
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    As weird as it sounds, I wish my SJ parents had pushed me harder. As long as I was "on track" (grades, playing well with others, church), then everything was okay.

    I doubt they'd have opened up an alternative life so I ended up being an artist in a basement hole in NYC or anything, but there were a lot of things out in the world that I had no idea existed. If they had pushed, maybe I would've reached higher, further.

    Other than that, they were pretty good parents. A bit bossy about the little details of day-to-day life, but I can't complain much at all. They were so sensible I had a hard time rebelling. Maybe rebelling is what I really needed.

  7. #57
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Other than that, they were pretty good parents. A bit bossy about the little details of day-to-day life, but I can't complain much at all. They were so sensible I had a hard time rebelling. Maybe rebelling is what I really needed.
    That strikes a chord. I'm an adult reaching mid-life and I find myself in a weird "rebellion" mood where I openly challenge a lot of things that in the past I did not fight against. Sometimes I feel like I even pick fights, purposefully, and I'm not sure why... except maybe to assert my ego and be challenged in turn, thus helping me discover the boundaries and capabilities of my own self. It just is a little unsettling to be doing it now.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #58
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That strikes a chord. I'm an adult reaching mid-life and I find myself in a weird "rebellion" mood where I openly challenge a lot of things that in the past I did not fight against. Sometimes I feel like I even pick fights, purposefully, and I'm not sure why... except maybe to assert my ego and be challenged in turn, thus helping me discover the boundaries and capabilities of my own self. It just is a little unsettling to be doing it now.
    Yeah, I do that.

  9. #59
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    As weird as it sounds, I wish my SJ parents had pushed me harder. As long as I was "on track" (grades, playing well with others, church), then everything was okay.

    I doubt they'd have opened up an alternative life so I ended up being an artist in a basement hole in NYC or anything, but there were a lot of things out in the world that I had no idea existed. If they had pushed, maybe I would've reached higher, further.

    Other than that, they were pretty good parents. A bit bossy about the little details of day-to-day life, but I can't complain much at all. They were so sensible I had a hard time rebelling. Maybe rebelling is what I really needed.
    If your parents were Asian, they would have pushed you so hard, you'll have bruises all over your ass to show your children what the fuck would happen to them if they never listened to you.

    You want that?

  10. #60
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    If your parents were Asian, they would have pushed you so hard, you'll have bruises all over your ass to show your children what the fuck would happen to them if they never listened to you.

    You want that?
    But I'd be in the USA, I could've ran off and joined the circus!

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] What Do You wish People Understood about your Type That frustrates you?
    By ChocTiramisu in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2017, 05:22 PM
  2. [INFP] infp's, what occupationdo you have? what do you do in your spare time?
    By the_bruja_is_back in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 08:13 PM
  3. [INFJ] INFJs: Do you like your career/job? If so, what do you do?
    By sharons in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM
  4. [NT] NT: what do you wish your parents had known about you?
    By MonkeyGrass in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
  5. What excites you? What do you wish people would talk about with you?
    By ladypinkington in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO