User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Sacred Self

Default Sacred Self

Not sure where to post this.

Do you have a part of yourself you hold sacred? I mean this in the 'secured against violation, infringement, etc.' sense - it is special or sensitive and you don't feel comfortable letting others see it.

What does it consist of (general terms, obviously, unless you care to share more) and have you ever let other people see it?

Do you prefer to hold it sacred, or do you wish you could share it with more people?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have "whatever's big personal bin of deep dark secrets" which is not open to visitors... they may have helped define me but I'll be damned if they're aired to the public... or anyone!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

For me it is my degree of emotional vulnerability - the more someone affects it negatively (even unwittingly) the less likely I am to share it. Very few have an intimate knowledge or understanding of just how vulnerable I am because I am cool and calm in a crisis and only express Fe under extreme duress and briefly.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

quite a lot.

i try not to be fake.. but i'm not always forthright either.

My will. I guess that is the part I keep to myself and not let others touch.

MBTI
    ----

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

For me, it's my whole self.

Is that conceited? I don't know. I used to be one giant open book when I was younger, and that's probably the problem. I got burnt out on trying to show myself to people and dealing with emotional abuse that I don't think I wad capable of handling.

So now I keep myself largely to myself. Stops me getting hurt and disappointed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Phantonym

I think I do. I think it's a part of me that would be left if everything else is stripped away. Sort of the "origin of me", my "core". It's difficult to explain and this doesn't probably make much sense, but that's what I feel (I could be so totally wrong but I don't really care either).

I don't feel that I have to exert a lot of control or willpower to hold it sacred and keep it from others. I think that it wouldn't even be important to either keep it from others or make efforts to show it to them or try to make them understand it. It just is, it is where everything I am comes from in its purest form and that is what is left intact but along the way it gets influenced by all kinds of inside and outside influences, so there's many layers that some will see and some will not, depending on whether I choose to share or what others discover.

I guess I wouldn't mind showing it to people, the idea of connecting to people directly through it sounds appealing, but I'm inclined to believe that even I don't have direct access to it, it's possibly subconscious, so that the conscious mind isn't able to access it. But it is the "source" for everything. Or something.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 07-18-2010 at 10:20 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    For me it is my degree of emotional vulnerability - the more someone affects it negatively (even unwittingly) the less likely I am to share it. Very few have an intimate knowledge or understanding of just how vulnerable I am because I am cool and calm in a crisis and only express Fe under extreme duress and briefly.
    ^^ This.

Not only do I tend to be calm in a crisis, I tend not to express overmuch positive emotion when things are going well. I will discuss the facts and merits of situations with people, and share my thoughts and opinions on many topics, but I do my best to keep emotional states to myself, with the exception of the few people very close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    quite a lot.

i try not to be fake.. but i'm not always forthright either.
    This.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari