• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sacred Self

gromit

likes this
Not sure where to post this.

Do you have a part of yourself you hold sacred? I mean this in the 'secured against violation, infringement, etc.' sense - it is special or sensitive and you don't feel comfortable letting others see it.

What does it consist of (general terms, obviously, unless you care to share more) and have you ever let other people see it?

Do you prefer to hold it sacred, or do you wish you could share it with more people?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have "whatever's big personal bin of deep dark secrets" which is not open to visitors... they may have helped define me but I'll be damned if they're aired to the public... or anyone! :laugh:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
For me it is my degree of emotional vulnerability - the more someone affects it negatively (even unwittingly) the less likely I am to share it. Very few have an intimate knowledge or understanding of just how vulnerable I am because I am cool and calm in a crisis and only express Fe under extreme duress and briefly.

KDude

quite a lot.

i try not to be fake.. but i'm not always forthright either.

wolfy

awsm
My will. I guess that is the part I keep to myself and not let others touch.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
vault.jpg

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
For me, it's my whole self.

Is that conceited? I don't know. I used to be one giant open book when I was younger, and that's probably the problem. I got burnt out on trying to show myself to people and dealing with emotional abuse that I don't think I wad capable of handling.

So now I keep myself largely to myself. Stops me getting hurt and disappointed.

P

Phantonym

I think I do. I think it's a part of me that would be left if everything else is stripped away. Sort of the "origin of me", my "core". :laugh: It's difficult to explain and this doesn't probably make much sense, but that's what I feel (I could be so totally wrong but I don't really care either).

I don't feel that I have to exert a lot of control or willpower to hold it sacred and keep it from others. I think that it wouldn't even be important to either keep it from others or make efforts to show it to them or try to make them understand it. It just is, it is where everything I am comes from in its purest form and that is what is left intact but along the way it gets influenced by all kinds of inside and outside influences, so there's many layers that some will see and some will not, depending on whether I choose to share or what others discover.

I guess I wouldn't mind showing it to people, the idea of connecting to people directly through it sounds appealing, but I'm inclined to believe that even I don't have direct access to it, it's possibly subconscious, so that the conscious mind isn't able to access it. But it is the "source" for everything. Or something. :laugh:

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me it is my degree of emotional vulnerability - the more someone affects it negatively (even unwittingly) the less likely I am to share it. Very few have an intimate knowledge or understanding of just how vulnerable I am because I am cool and calm in a crisis and only express Fe under extreme duress and briefly.
^^ This.

Not only do I tend to be calm in a crisis, I tend not to express overmuch positive emotion when things are going well. I will discuss the facts and merits of situations with people, and share my thoughts and opinions on many topics, but I do my best to keep emotional states to myself, with the exception of the few people very close to me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

This exactly.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Huh, interesting question...

I don't really know? I don't really know any part of me is sacred until someone comes along with the key to unlock it. It depends on the uhh...willing participant I suppose? I don't look around for people to share my gooey core with, as it isn't necessarily my focus in life.

Sometimes I think it takes someone else valuing some part of myself before I notice it's worth valuing in the first place. If that makes any sense.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Do you have a part of yourself you hold sacred? I mean this in the 'secured against violation, infringement, etc.' sense - it is special or sensitive and you don't feel comfortable letting others see it.

In terms of things that I care about, that inspire me, things that I aspire to, and anything else I'd consider my "core", a very large part. Perhaps 70% of my life. The other 30% is stuff like work issues, daily activities, etc. -- things that matter on a practical level but I don't really *care* about so much.

People who I like an trust well enough to share that sort of thing and who would be interested are exceedingly rare. Sharing that sort of thing with anyone else is just an invitation to get burned.

So, yes.

Mole

Permabanned
Is there anything more beautiful?

Yes, there is a barrier between my inner self and my outer self for good reason - my inner self is completely and utterly vulnerable.

And my inner self gives me my creativity and fortunately my humour. And also my inner self is deeply pleasurable. My inner self is a constant delight, a bubbling spring that constantly refreshes me.

My inner self is also strong and resilient and has slowly learnt to come out into the world and enjoy herself and put a smile on the face of others.

My inner self becomes a sunny day, coffee and the newspaper, a smile on the face of others.

Is there anything more beautiful than the human face?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
not really :D

but i don't think anyone knows everything about me, you know? it's like every person sees thousands of facets, but each individual sees a few different facets, and misses a few others... so no one ever knows anything. not even me.

but i don't think sharing disrupts sacredness.

but what is sacred to only me is the time i will take to be alone in nature with the infinite - the sea, the sand, the mountains, the stars. i hit an emotional state of simultaneous calm, connection, bliss, and unity then that is all my own. and i love being in it, but i also enjoy "coming back down" and returning to those i love.

Chloe

not really :D

but i don't think anyone knows everything about me, you know? it's like every person sees thousands of facets, but each individual sees a few different facets, and misses a few others... so no one ever knows anything. not even me.

but i don't think sharing disrupts sacredness.

oh, again, so much like me. Many facets, and I love that, I love that everybody brings something different from me, different part of me, but not all. And also, sharing doesnt disrupts sacredness. Why would it?
Sacred to me means that there's part of me that I cherish and dont give anyone to destroy that part, dont put anyone above it, you can touch it but you cant take it away or destroy it. I didnt have it before, now I am having it more, I think it's essential to treat yourself like that if you want to be your own person.

Chloe

Would you elaborate on this?

The way I explained what sacred self means to me, the part that you cherish above everything else and no matter who leaves you, hurts you, you're still choosing that part. If you dont do that, everybody can fuck with you. In other words, self respect, but there is part of self that is so respected that it can be called sacred.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been thinking about this post for a couple of days. My first reaction is that no, I don't have a "sacred" part of my inner self, in that my inner circle of loved ones knows all of the parts of me, but that's not entirely accurate. My loved ones see lots of the parts of me, but there is an inner core that's kind of inexplicable and, yeah, sacred, that is just mine. It's a small part of me, but it exists.