User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think mostly in words or not?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Think in words

48 42.48%
  • Not think in words (I'm not sure of all the different ways people would think in.)

65 57.52%
12311 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Default Do you think mostly in words or something else

This is out of curiosity, I have heard about how people most easily think in different ways, and how it effects abilities and such, so am interested in seeing how different thought processes work for different people.

I tend to think in words when thinking of what to say to people, but otherwise think in pictures, movies, charts/graphs, or some other "sort of visual but not exactly" ideas when making plans, and visualizing non word related things. It does seem to cause some issues where I have a set of ideas that makes beautifully simple sense in my head, but when translated into words turns into a big mess.

MBTI
    INFJ

I know what you mean about thinking styles...my mom shared parts of a book with me written by a woman with autism who thinks in pictures instead of words. I can't imagine what that must be like. All my thoughts take the form of unvoiced words.

Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    I know what you mean about thinking styles...my mom shared parts of a book with me written by a woman with autism who thinks in pictures instead of words. I can't imagine what that must be like. All my thoughts take the form of unvoiced words.
    Same here.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think in both. Usually the only way to "see" a mental model is to see it as a picture (instantaneous and multi-dimensional), but to describe it / articulate it means translating it into a linear stream of words... and something is always lost in translation.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

It depends on what I'm thinking about.

For example, during interpersonal conduct, (not chatting though) I spend some time thinking about the following things:
    • Mutual disposition of both parties toward each other
    • My current understanding of how the dialogue is moving - is it going 'well'?
    • The words I'm going to use
    • The potential effects my words will have/already had on the other party, reflected in response or facial expression.

I am not sure if this makes sense. It isn't as calculated as it sounds, though. Sometimes it's all a flash - and it's not like it's chess. What I'm saying is that I can't really classify this kind of thinking as verbal or visual because I think it's probably the best to say that a combination of both is involved. Intuition also plays a part. It's also why that I really suck at responding to many people simultaneously or recovering from being caught offguard (I can be absent-minded - and classroom situations, anyone?)

---

I'm not sure if this has been relevant to the topic, but anyway.
    It becomes a little more different once you consider thinking in a non-social context. I'll post a follow-up (or update this post) later on!
    Not really.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think in words.

But oftentimes when I'm just spacing out or not concentrating on anything in particular, I'll be re-living past events or locations or images, which are visual as if I'm there in that moment. You know, like watching and listening to a movie.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ

I think in pictures.

If I'm going through a "dialogue" in my head trying to sort things out, I am actually watching a scene unfolding over "hearing" a voice.

When I learn new materials, it automatically forms pictures in my head.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think mostly in words... I can use pictures in limited situations where that's the only way to deal with the situation and it can't be translated into words easily, but even then I usually do better with words. In fact, I tend to learn something better by reading it from a book or hearing someone tell me about it than by watching it done. I tend to miss something if I just watch it done.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I think mostly in words, sometimes I think in scenario's, playing situations out in my head. I wouldn't advise anyone else attempt to think in this style, as it has been a source of anxiety for me, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    I think most thoughts are formless. They just need some form to represent them.

I think in diagrams often usually when I am working. Pictures not as often (usually when I am remembering something or imagining something happening in the future)

A lot of my thoughts have words now, and more of my thinking has words associated with them. I think in words when I am engaged in conversation or trying to write.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield