• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think mostly in words or something else

Do you think mostly in words or not?

• Think in words

Votes: 48 43.6%
  • Not think in words (I'm not sure of all the different ways people would think in.)

Votes: 62 56.4%

• Total voters

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I think almost entirely in pictures. My feelings and all, everything in my head translates into a graphic picture or animation of some sort.

that sounds very cool. i communicate in pictures a lot, i love to use drawings in conversations, or to explain things.

i think only in words, that comes naturally. but then i have trouble communicating verbally. sometimes when i am speaking in an overly simplistic way or struggling to explain my thoughts, my wife will say: "use your words". haha.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My thoughts are usually words addressed to a faceless, disembodied audience. Mixed in with these words are only the briefest flashes of imagery unless I'm thinking on a higher level for which images are more concise than words. There is also something of a more tactile nature that is always present in my thoughts. It's difficult to describe, but it feels like a radio dial moving through an endless spectrum of channels and picking up all sorts of random things as it goes along. Sometimes I can feel myself nearing a particularly interesting channel, and it starts to feel less like tuning into wavelengths and more like reaching out for a silhouette that solidifies the moment I grasp it.

P

Phantonym

I think with feelings that are evoked by certain images. They're not clear images flowing through my mind, mostly multidimensional and hazy, but they do pop up, usually simultaneously and I "feel" the thoughts coming together. It's like a multidimensional jigsaw puzzle of feelings that click.

I find that words are too limited. I can utter a word in my mind to descibe some things but there's always an enormous extra level or levels of layers behind that word and that is what I mostly feel.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think in streams. I see moving streams of colours and a flow which finds its way through that maze, being my thoughts. And at some point, like in a labyrinth, there's this click or even explosion, and a wall will move, in this case, a stream will either go a different direction, or will split up, or come fuse together with another stream, giving it a new colour, and things will click into place. In the end, in theory when you finish that particular thought, you end up with a collage of emotions and colours which has a logical puzzle feel to it. And it will flow into each other, be harmonious. Kinda like an intense piece of art.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Haha, I love that show.

Though I hate JD. I prefer the episodes where the other characters get a turn to narrate, like Kelso. God I love Kelso. BAHAHA. NOW I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT SCRUBS!

This is OT but I KNOW! I hate JD and Kelso is the best character!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think in sort of an abstract visual sense, but it's not really pictures even. Terms or the words used to describe things seem almost irrelevant. Even when I'm writing I don't really think of words. They play out in my head, but that happens with whatever I'm dealing with. My mind is like an endless simulation of what ifs.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm very visual. Pictures, visual impressions, tangible moods and vibes that have a visual component I can "touch" with my mind.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think in pictures and images, and then translate into words. Sometimes I have a feeling or colour associated with objects (and, yes, some times concepts). It's the images with emotion that I've found hardest to express.
Some thoughts I hear though.
I wonder if I use Ni quite alot, though traditionally INFP use Ne. Mainly because I'm very good at analysing things and making random connections.
I like diagrams, and pictures. When I was younger, I had a near photographic memory for any diagram or picture that came my way. Not so much for text though. Shame, I could hand in diagrams instead of assays, LOL.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I pretty much only think in words...I can't really think of a time where I wasn't thinking in words. When I see pictures/images, it's either when I'm trying to remember something, or if I'm using my imagination.

The interesting thing that I've found is that my head time is a helluva lot faster than real time. It's like two different dimensions. In head time, I can completely listen to an amazing 9 minute song (from memory) and somehow it's decompressed into only like 3 minutes spent in LaLa Land..

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think with [...] certain images. They're not clear images flowing through my mind, mostly multidimensional and hazy, but they do pop up, usually simultaneusly and I "feel" the thoughts coming together. It's like a multidimensional jigsaw puzzle of [thoughts] that click.

I find that words are too limited. I can utter a word in my mind to descibe some things but there's always an enormous extra level or levels of layers behind that word [...]

Double this. ;) I'm a highly visual thinker, and sometimes there's a disconnection between the ideas I've written down versus the ones fabricated inside my head. It's easier to think in words once I could pinpoint the most suitable thought for that given moment. For me, visualizing imagery (often based on subjective interpretations) is a longer, yet more memorable process, while the written language, an 'objective' format, is a greater tool for improving execution speed and accuracy.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thinking in word-form would definitely be the most frequent. But it is not uncommon for me to also think in numerical form if I'm thinking about mathematics or money.

Likewise, I also frequently think in both image and audio if it's appropriate to the subject, but seldom unaccompanied by words in some way or narrative.

A common example of this is when I'm playing out scenarios for possible outcomes. I'll envision the whole thing, but my observations take the form of words while the scenario is in progress.

... After seeing it written out like that, perhaps I think too much. :D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinking in words? Would that be visually thinking words that are read from the mind or talking to yourself in the mind? Either way I usually don't do either. Everything is visualised like simulations of possibilities playing in my mind. I've lived most of my life in my mind. It would all turn quite boring if was changed into words.