User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think mostly in words or not?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Think in words

48 42.48%
  • Not think in words (I'm not sure of all the different ways people would think in.)

65 57.52%
First 45678 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I've missed seeing this thread updated x-X

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    I'm not fluent in any foreign language, but I've studied French, Russian, and Hebrew. With French, I attempted to translate the French word into an English word, then the English word into the mental image/feeling/tone associated with it. It was a long and cumbersome process. With Russian and Hebrew, I discovered it was more efficient to skip the translation and just begin to attach the new words directly with the mental images/feelings/experiences. So when I'd eat sour cream, for example, I'd tell myself "smyetana" to build the association between the word and the experience.
    That is interesting... When using words, I mostly think in English. Sometimes ideas pops into my head in Chinese though... those tend to be more specific. Like I want that exact description... meaning of the words. Usually those are accompanied by a "feeling tone". I also do not translate between English and Chinese very well. To translate is like to break down the thought into "meaning" or the overall impression like your images/feelings/experiences then convert the meaning over into words of the other language.

There was a thread a while back about the "stream" of thought that ran deep beneath the surface, and the fact that it was sometimes difficult to tap into that stream quickly enough to catch the thoughts before they passed on by. I feel that quite often. I'm perfectly aware of that stream of thought, but I can't always bring it to the surface and put it into words. One of the reasons I enjoy writing is the challenge of capturing those thoughts to contain them and express them in words.
    Interesting... I'll have to search for it to read over. I've tried multiple methods of capturing the stream of thoughts. Writing it out on paper is too slow... even typing it out is too slow. Actually trying to type... figuring out the spelling etc impairs the process... I tried verbal dialogue recorded... even that is lacking. Some things are just not efficiently converted over into words. You have keywords... those are written down... the multiple meanings of the phrases, the feelings accompanying them though, passes by too quickly to be capture... in order to try describing it is to impair the flow. Overall I found it frustrating... and have given up on describing specifics... and just to jolt down the key points. And hope that the key points can make me relive what exactly was involved in between all that.

Edit: I can't seem to find that thread? x-X *sigh*

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by will5250 View Post
    Hi. This is my first post here. Some folks here have encountered me before on INFPgc, but most of you I have never met before. It's interesting to read all of these thoughts and see the type in most cases sitting beside the thought. I like to collect these thoughts and observations and form them into patterns that can used to recognize attributes of different kinds of people, to make the information available to my intuition. Or at least that's what I think it's good for.

Thinking for me is a mix of in words, except the words are remembered as sounds, and of mental processing that thinks in images. There is much inner dialog between the two. One will ask a question in words like "Did you turn off the stove?" and the other responds with images that demonstrate the action, or sometimes the latter asks with image and the former replies in words. The two seem to me to fit the definitions of right brain vs. left brain. One thinks in words, and I often speak those words out loud to myself, and it uses logic, and has learned to translate my thoughts into sequential form, and does ok handling detail much of the time, though my short term memory being rather flakey frustrates it's effors. The other thinks in image, and symbol, and is holistic, random and highly intuitive. The later runs the show, but the former contributes a lot.

I too make great use of feeling tones, but for me they function like labels; like nonverbal nomenclature. Most of my memories have feeling tone labels that I feel when I recall the memory. In my memories from before I learned to talk, I remember many items having these labels. They aren't something that I decide, they just are, or something subconscious determines them. People have feeling tone labels. I usually call this their vibe, but feeling tone label is a good way to describe how I experience a person's vibe. Every person has his/her own unique feel. I feel it when I read someone's words, or when I spend time with them IRL. I don't know how my mind comes up with the feeling tone label. It's seems as if my mind is getting it some how from the person, or from the feel of their inner spirit. I don't know but it's dependable, and after I spend time with someone, or have read several of their posts, I get to where I recognize people by their feeling tone label.

I'm wondering whether to take this a step further, but it relates I think. I'm also empathic. If a friend of mine is upset with me, I often feel it in them. I feel the emotion they have toward me, and also their feeling tone label. I'll know who it is and what they feel, if it's someone I know and love. And the person doesn't have to be in the room, or even in the country for me to experience this. Maybe that's revealing too much, but it's part of what it's like inside my head, or how I experience thinking, sort of.
    Welcome, Will5250! I can totally relate to what you stated...
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post

Edit: I can't seem to find that thread? x-X *sigh*
    I don't quite know where the language/thought part of the conversation starts, but it's round about this page:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ve-infj-6.html

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    That is interesting... When using words, I mostly think in English. Sometimes ideas pops into my head in Chinese though... those tend to be more specific. Like I want that exact description... meaning of the words. Usually those are accompanied by a "feeling tone". I also do not translate between English and Chinese very well. To translate is like to break down the thought into "meaning" or the overall impression like your images/feelings/experiences then convert the meaning over into words of the other language.
    That's interesting... I sometimes get an occasional thought in Latin, because that's the only other language I've studied. Although it isn't hard for me to translate it because we never strayed too far from just translating/interpreting passages into English.

So, where did you learn Chinese, though?

I think like

Code:
    ______
    ......|
    ......|
    ......L________
    ...............L__________
    ...............L__________
    Each line is a meaning not a word.

Senior Member ENTJ Extraordinaire's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Interestingly I think Words when Talking, Rationalising, being logical,
    But emotionally i process thoughts with pictures and constructed visual scenarios, that although still may contain dialogue, is mostly portrayed non-verbally
    Actualized type: ENTJ
    Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 56.1% Sensing (S) 43.9%
    Thinking (T) 68.42% Feeling (F) 31.58%
    Judging (J) 65% Perceiving (P) 35%

ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Joshywa1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I used to think heavily in pictures, I'd have trouble saying exactly what I meant and I'd use my hands, and even draw a diagram on the odd occasion (I remember a particularly complex idea I had about a samurai in philosophy at one point :P).

I've gotten a lot better with words now, I use them a lot more, and I don't struggle as much, it just took a bit of practice etc. It still occasionally bugs me... oh, and I was a pretty good artist , but sucked real bad at english but still challenged myself with it, despite my sciencey mind.

ENTPs are supposed to be good brainstormers, I always thought I sucked at it because I lost at most of the word games we played. Turns out if it's idea brainstorming, I've got heaps to offer.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

mostly in words, but most of the time my thinking goes faster than i think about words, so i skip words pretty much and sometimes i just say "this" in my head and think about some really complex thing. i use images allso, but mostly words. for some reason sometimes i think in english, even tho im finnish, then i forget what the finnish word for something in english
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't think in words at all. I am much like King-of-Despair in that regard...I often have trouble putting to words exactly what I'm thinking in my mind, and I sometimes resort to really abstract diagrams to describe what I'm thinking. My students hate me for this.

I think this is why I liked Galen so much, because part of his "philosophy" was that squibbling over definitions is pointless, so long as we are all talking about the same "thing." Of course, he was a bit naive about it, and I am not that naive, but I do often naturally think in terms of "existing entities," and not necessarily "this particular entity called such and such." If there is an existing entity, and we can identify this entity, not by its name, but by its relationships with other, related entities, and by its properties, then what does its name matter? All that matters is its properties and its relationships, which we can discuss in the abstract without naming it in the particular.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I think almost entirely in pictures. My feelings and all, everything in my head translates into a graphic picture or animation of some sort.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.