• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think mostly in words or something else

Do you think mostly in words or not?

• Think in words

Votes: 48 43.6%
  • Not think in words (I'm not sure of all the different ways people would think in.)

Votes: 62 56.4%

• Total voters
R

Riva

I think using pictures in my head.

But from time to time by putting some effort in to it I think using words.

I've noticed thinking in words produce better, much controlled, rational, calmer results.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
You earthlings with your primitive forms of communication. What is this talking shit? Why don't you read your esp-mail?

teacups&cupcakes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
abcd
I think I think in words and pictures. When I'm thinking of what could happen or just random stories that I made up in my head, my thoughts are like a movie.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
My head is like 1000 people with ADHD who are on XTC, locked up in a tiny little cage, just jumping around and fighting each other. My thinking style is way to hyperactive, versatile and aggressive to describe in a different way. Sometimes I think in words, sometimes I think in conversations, sometimes I think in movies, sometimes in pictures, sometimes in music and sometimes my mind is just a big bunch of "WHAAAAAAA!!! *bounce* *bounce* WHEEEEEEY!!! *bounce* *bump up to something* *vase falling on the floor, breaking* OH NOOOOOOOO!!! LET'S GET OUT OF HEEEEEERE!!! *vroom vroom* WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!".

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think mostly in vague generalizations. It's essentially just "Things" and movement. I imagine moving chunks of things and so on. When solving problems etc that need more precision I'll go to a mental map which is the same although with images(includes written words/numbers) added. When thinking about people/communication etc I go the last step and add audible words.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I mainly visualize scenes, but sometimes my mind associates flashes of colors with whatever is going on in/out of my mind.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm very much a visual thinker but I do sometimes think in words in addition. Words tend to be a very poor imitation of visual thinking though. So so limited IME.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
I definitely think in words, I basically have a constant monolog/dialog running through my head. Either compositions or stories (that I wish I'd start writing down), or imaginary conversations.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Temple Grandin's book "Thinking in Pictures" uses that phrase to explain how autistic people think. Do the results of this poll mean she's not as different as she thought?

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
With how inaccurate and limited language is I'd be surprised if many people use it to think the majority of the time.

wolfy

awsm
I want to say I think physically. It doesn't make sense to me that I do, but that is what comes to mind. And images, I don't know, it isn't words anyway.

MagnifaSnail

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I chose words for the poll because that seems to be how I think the most often. In full and clear sentences that sometimes get messy and run together even in my head. Now that I'm thinking about it (thought) I guess I naturally inhabit different modes for different things. When thinking about something I've read and mulling over, say, the content of an article or essay my thoughts are much more verbal. However, I'm prone to free flow imagination and "day dreaming" that can have an almost film-like feel, to the point that I don't know how these imagined scenarios will even play out. There's something else I feel that might be worth mentioning. Lots of times when thinking through a problem, or anything really I suppose, I'll have this "sixth sense" twinge of association that is very vague and extremely brief. I always find myself mentally flailing to get a hold of it and figure it out. It's really kind of hard to describe, like a rare and slippery salmon in my stream of consciousness that always eludes me..... and makes me feel insecure and stupid because I can't tell what I'm thinking or bring a connection full circle to a neat, concise, and individual conclusion.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pretty much 90% in words and in regards to how everything works and why. My visual memory sucks probably about 1%. The other 9% I cant explain.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I chose words for the poll because that seems to be how I think the most often. In full and clear sentences that sometimes get messy and run together even in my head. Now that I'm thinking about it (thought) I guess I naturally inhabit different modes for different things. When thinking about something I've read and mulling over, say, the content of an article or essay my thoughts are much more verbal. However, I'm prone to free flow imagination and "day dreaming" that can have an almost film-like feel, to the point that I don't know how these imagined scenarios will even play out. There's something else I feel that might be worth mentioning. Lots of times when thinking through a problem, or anything really I suppose, I'll have this "sixth sense" twinge of association that is very vague and extremely brief. I always find myself mentally flailing to get a hold of it and figure it out. It's really kind of hard to describe, like a rare and slippery salmon in my stream of consciousness that always eludes me..... and makes me feel insecure and stupid because I can't tell what I'm thinking or bring a connection full circle to a neat, concise, and individual conclusion.

I can strongly relate, although when I "reach" for something, it's usually a concept or a way to articulate that concept. My understanding is pure, but my articulation is not, even in my head.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't even remember who said it the first time in a thread long ago..

this one person didn't think in pictures, nor words, or sounds.. she thought in thoughts :D