123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default What makes people addicted?

Obvious answer would be the chemicals in your brain being released to cause euphoric feelings are triggered by something which the person has found out makes them happy, so they keep doing it. Or addictive substances like nicotine etc.

But why? Why do people feel the need that something (alcohol, smoking, Rx drugs, other drugs etc.) excessively or fucking daily is the only way to enjoy life, even when you try to help them out of it?

I've been having troubles with my father. He's finally stopped drinking after 5 miserable years, but now he has somehow got a hold of muscle relaxers, and is stealing my brother's Adderal. A friend of mine just does drugs all the time, and I'm not completely against drugs, I just don't see why he's become such a loser in my eyes.

I really think my dad has co-dependency issues...but that could just be far reaching. I just hear him say all the time 'I can't live without 'this' (which can include drugs, alcohol, some activity, or my mother) and it drives me NUTS!

What makes people addicted to having to need something else to make them feel whole?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

hmm... I used to drink to try and make my brain shut up

I quit that though...

some things like nicotine are rather physically addictive as well... try to quit smoking if you were a regular smoker and you'll definitley understand that principle
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I quit that though...

some things like nicotine are rather physically addictive as well... try to quit smoking if you were a regular smoker and you'll definitley understand that principle
    I used to think it was just that with him, because alcohol has physically addictive qualities to it, but I rather confused to what him quitting is doing to him, if it's making him want to be 'on' something or if he needs to fill some sort of void, or if he plain old just misses alcohol. I can sort of understand the concept, but I haven't truly, or for the most part, felt that need for a substance.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I quit that though...
    I totally understand this, my brain NEVER TURNS OFF.
    It can get really ridiculous and oppressive. :rolli:

Alcohol eventually riles me up though, so it is ineffective in this capacity for me too. Two drinks, and I'm chilled out; three drinks and I'm bouncing off the fucking walls and stirring up trouble.

Yeah, it's called WITHDRAWAL and I've never known anyone who enjoyed it, regardless of what they were hooked on. I saw a good friend of mine's ex-wife going through withdrawal from opiate painkillers, her eyes showed the early stages of jaundice, she was sweating profusely, and the pupils of her eyes were black and huge. Same goes for smoking, my brother was PISSED each time he quit smoking cigarrettes. Now he smokes two per day and he's done with it, and calls it equilibrium, go INTJ!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Some people are just born with an addictive personality. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Actually, the search for "the rush" is part of the human experience...and even people who don't do drugs or whatever can still eat too much, be addicted to caffeine or sugar, or be "adrenaline junkies" and take risks or love roller coasters.

Many people who are as addicted as your father have problems with depression or other issues. Depression is horrible and many people attempt to self-medicate to get out of it, as well as people who have bipolar disorder, or even just childhood trauma.

I feel very lucky that I was not born with the same personality as my sister, who is an addict. While I certainly have self-medicated for various reasons, and have some co-dependency in my personality as well, I've never been able to get seriously addicted to anything wildly destructive because I always think of the bad parts...the hangover...the coming down...it's funny I was just talking about this with someone...apparently addicts remember the good stuff instead of the bad. I've read about this...they block out the negative consequences that keep other people from becoming addicted, and just concentrate on the high itself or how fun it is or how good it felt even when their life and their health is falling apart. Their mind works differently.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I totally understand this, my brain NEVER TURNS OFF.
    It can get really ridiculous and oppressive. :rolli:

Alcohol eventually riles me up though, so it is ineffective in this capacity for me too. Two drinks, and I'm chilled out; three drinks and I'm bouncing off the fucking walls and stirring up trouble.
    I totally understand that... there's plenty of times when I've had a bizzare desire to rip my brain out and give it a good beating to show it how to turn off... the damned thing is just unnervingly ACTIVE sometimes

but yeah... it's getting the dosages right that I always tended to have the problem with... drinking to a certain point was relaxing, drinking past that ended up giving me MORE things to worry about when I sobered up
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    Obvious answer would be the chemicals in your brain being released to cause euphoric feelings are triggered by something which the person has found out makes them happy, so they keep doing it. Or addictive substances like nicotine etc.

But why? Why do people feel the need that something (alcohol, smoking, Rx drugs, other drugs etc.) excessively or fucking daily is the only way to enjoy life, even when you try to help them out of it?

I've been having troubles with my father. He's finally stopped drinking after 5 miserable years, but now he has somehow got a hold of muscle relaxers, and is stealing my brother's Adderal. A friend of mine just does drugs all the time, and I'm not completely against drugs, I just don't see why he's become such a loser in my eyes.

I really think my dad has co-dependency issues...but that could just be far reaching. I just hear him say all the time 'I can't live without 'this' (which can include drugs, alcohol, some activity, or my mother) and it drives me NUTS!

What makes people addicted to having to need something else to make them feel whole?
    well i think you said it perfectly there. it's about filling a hole i think...feeling incomplete and unbalanced...stressed...scared...lonely...no peace...wanting to just feel happy and peaceful...or a spark of life of some kind...unhealthy unwhole people really shouldn't experiment i don't think.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

In the end its a point of view, cause if you ask on a forum like this what makes people addictive, you have to set clear rules to what you are talking about
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    What makes people addicted...?
    An addiction is a trance within a trance. An addiction is a double trance.

To find out what a double trance is just click on -

Trance Institute Courses

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Various reasons. There's the addictive personality reason or the filling a void reason.. etc

I personally tend to see the "fear of introspection" or "quick fix" reasoning. A lot of people end up being so backed up on introspection and lengthy fixes that they lose the parts of themselves that can function normally without a substance or addiction.
    They can't tend to their emotions properly, can't tend to their personal growth properly, and can't even enjoy themselves properly. You could say it's filling the void, but it's more so drowning out the void until the void swallows them whole while they're not looking.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance