User Tag List

First 1234 Last

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Dependency.

At the end of the day, I think all addictions are used in an attempt to fill some sort of gap, to numb some sort of pain, and to allow someone to ignore something of greater important that they are not willing to sort out through non dangerous means, normally because doing so may be a difficult and arduous process.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Addiction is an act of compulsion. Manifests from a thinning of myelin sheath. It is essential for the nervous system to function, the main purpose of a myelin layer is to increase the speed at which impulses propagate along the myelinated fiber. When its thinned then addiction and compulsion are higher.

This is why teenage addiction is worse than adult addiction as is the coordination. the proper functionality is yet to properly adjust in the forming body.

Myelination during adolescence

In addition to the winnowing of connections in the frontal lobes of the adolescent brain, another developmental factor is also at play. One of the final steps in developing an adult brain is the coating of nerves with a fatty material called myelin. This myelin sheath wraps around the axons of brain cells (neurons) and allows electrical impulses to travel faster and more efficiently. Before neurons receive their myelin sheath, they are considered immature and don't function well, but after myelination, the neurons are mature and ready to fulfill their designated functions more efficiently. This is one reason why a toddler is less coordinated than a 9-year-old. Myelin develops in the more primitive areas of the brain first, and then gradually moves to the higher level functioning areas. It is not surprising then to find that the frontal lobes mature last. Researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles compared scans of young adults, 23 - 30, with those of teens, 12 - 16, looking for signs of myelin which would imply more mature, efficient connections. As expected, the frontal lobes in teens showed less myelination than in the young adults. This is the last part of the brain to mature: full myelination is probably not reached until around age 20.

filling a void that can't be filled.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I've given him suggestions as to how to fill this 'void', because that's why I'm feeling like it is most...he likes running, so I say go running, then he takes muscle relaxers
    I've given up. I've realized I've done everything that could be done, and he has to fix it himself, which I'm quite sure he won't.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

My brain has an off switch. It is very abrupt. Suddenly, I get this tremendous urge for sleep, and then I say, "I have to go to sleep now." When I say that, I am actually already asleep because I'll go into a deep sleep within seconds of getting into bed.
    As for alcohol, it is a knockout drug for me. After one drink, I'm ready to go to sleep immediately. I never reach the three drink stage so I don't know if I would get riled up. By the way, caffeine also has the same effect on me.
    I'm not interested in illegal drugs because they are toxic and not inspected by anyone! I react badly to regular medication that is inspected. I am fortunate, though, that I do not have an addictive personality so I try not to judge people who do have addiction problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I totally understand this, my brain NEVER TURNS OFF.
    It can get really ridiculous and oppressive. :rolli:

Alcohol eventually riles me up though, so it is ineffective in this capacity for me too. Two drinks, and I'm chilled out; three drinks and I'm bouncing off the fucking walls and stirring up trouble.

I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    infp

so... here's my little rant about my addictions

i smoke cigs because i am addicted to the routine. there have been times in the past where it was necessary for me to quit and i never really felt withdrawl or anything, though i did have mild cravings.

i'm addicted to caffeine.. i could probably become accustomed to living without it, but i really see no point in trying. i've been drinking coffee daily since i was like 15 or 16 and i don't really fell that it's had any negative effects on my life.

weed is something else, though. i guess i would say i am very dependent on it, despite it being such a mild drug. i've been smoking pot for about 3 years, and multiple times a day for maybe 8 months. i can go without it when it's necessary or when i run out, though i don't really like to. i can't really say why i smoke so much, i guess i like how it makes me feel. i like being stoned out of my mind and feeling content to just sit and enjoy simple pleasures like music and food. it helps me forget about the things that bum me out.
    maybe this sounds stupid, but i really do believe i could quit smoking weed altogether if i wanted to. the thing is i see no need. i love it and i feel that the pros outweigh the cons.
    it's almost like i knew i would love it. i was very interested in drugs since i learned about them in DARE. i actually started off hating all drugs, but as i learned more about them, i became increasingly interested in weed (and some hallucinogens). i knew long before i ever got high that weed was something i had been looking for my entire life.
    some people might see my use as "running from my problems" or something like that, but i don't care. if one day i meet the girl of my dreams and she tells me the only way she'll date me is if i quit smoking pot, i'll do it, but for now i see no point in quitting. i am happier nowadays, and the source of my happiness is not a concern to me. as long as i am not stealing money and abandoning those close to me just to get high, i don't have a problem with my use.

i guess this is how i feel about it: i have always struggled with mild depression. i feel fortunate enough to have many close friends and family that i can depend on, but i always felt like there are things that i can't share with anyone. i am not comfortable opening up to most people.. i have been screwed over and seen people screwed over enough to know that there are very few people i can really trust. maybe some day i'll meet someone that's different from everyone else, but for now smoking weed helps me cope with problems that i keep personal. maybe i am an addict, but at this point in my life i actually enjoy it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm not the only one who spent DARE thinking... hmmm... that drug sounds FUN!

of course then I tried all of the ones I'd thought that about and DIDN'T have fun
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Because the smaller enjoyments in life are more important than the bigger ones. You like coffee? Well then, you'll most likely drown yourself in coffee every day. Like cigarettes? Then you'll most likely puff the non-magical dragon untill you get COPD. Do you like to feel warm? Cold? Do you like to prance around nekkid in your apartment? It's the little things that keeps us going. It's not an addiction.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    Because the smaller enjoyments in life are more important than the bigger ones. You like coffee? Well then, you'll most likely drown yourself in coffee every day. Like cigarettes? Then you'll most likely puff the non-magical dragon untill you get COPD. Do you like to feel warm? Cold? Do you like to prance around nekkid in your apartment? It's the little things that keeps us going. It's not an addiction.
    Interesting thoughts. I've often wondered the same thing.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    It's not an addiction.
    We know it's an addiction when we suffer withdrawal symptoms.

And we know it's an addiction when we take more to ward off the withdrawal symptoms.

But alas, when we can stop, we don't want to.
    And when we want to stop, we can't.