• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it just me?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No. No. No. Spock is emotionless, cold and calculating. ISTPs are not like that.
INTPs are most capable of being like that, and we have already established that you are not a normal INTP.
ISTPs must above all else be unique and cool - as in "Joe Cool".
They are very witty and entertaining around their friends.
They're too casual and relaxed to be Spock.

Doesn't sound like the ISTP's I know. Sounds more like ESTP's. ISTP's I know are cool and reserved people just like in the ISTP description:

Cool onlookers. Quiet, reserved, observing and analyzing life with detached curiosity and unexpected flashes of original humor. Usually interested in impersonal principles, cause and effect, how and why mechanical things work. Exert themselves no more than they think necessary because any waste of energy would be inefficient. Action-oriented, precise and tireless. Can be impulsive. Challenged by complex equipment. Somewhat solitary.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Doesn't sound like the ISTP's I know. Sounds more like ESTP's. ISTP's I know are cool and reserved people just like in the ISTP description:

Cool onlookers. Quiet, reserved, observing and analyzing life with detached curiosity and unexpected flashes of original humor. Usually interested in impersonal principles, cause and effect, how and why mechanical things work. Exert themselves no more than they think necessary because any waste of energy would be inefficient. Action-oriented, precise and tireless. Can be impulsive. Challenged by complex equipment. Somewhat solitary.
My husband and my son are both ISTPs. Perhaps there is a streak of humor running through their DNA that is unusual or something, but I assure you, they're very witty, and they are both ISTPs. My husband has a small repertoire of funny anecdotes, and jokes. He has excellent comedic timing. My son has good timing, too, for smart aleck remarks, probably learned from his father. My husband has another son from a previous marriage - ENFP - who has the very same sense of humor. Perhaps it is in the DNA.

Perhaps it would be good for us to remind ourselves at this point that Spock was not human. He had NO feelings. Ts have feelings. We just don't use them as a standard when making decisions.

I was wondering if anyone thought MacGuyver (80's tv show) is an ISTP. He reminds me of my husband to a great extent - highly resourceful, inventive in a pinch, clever at developing a plan B.

I know one male ESTP. He is the most selfish human being I know on the face of this earth.
My husband is the most unselfish human I know.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
When I had a hairdresser, when I was young, he apparently invented a fragrancing toilet seat.

That would be one way of truly saying "mine don't stink" I guess ;)
Hmm. That's a useful idea.

Odd. My INTJ friend seems opposed to wise little sayings as he sees their shortcomings too easily. Try and roll out one of those little two line ditties and you get :rolleyes:
It figures. Always an exception to the rule.

As for the train of ideas, painful for you?!?! Try it from this side sister. Getting what the INTJ is actually on about instead of all the bluster and screening is like digging through rock!! Granite!!
:smile:

I know the typical INTJ is supposed to be the straight up type but it seems that in any situation where their answer is less than 100% certain that all information on the incident is withheld and classified FMEO (for my eyes only). I've had to conclude that similar to all NTs non confidence is crippling and that the INTJ manner of handling this lack of competency is to shut off all routes to the evidence. Remarkably similar to the ENTP methodology in goal if not execution.
I'm not sure I know what you said, but I think you said that if your friend is not 100% sure of something, he won't say anything. Perhaps he has a good bit of P influencing that (and the witty sayings attitude also).

My attitude - if someone asks - when I don't KNOW something is to say "I don't know" but I am willing to offer an opinion (usually based on the principle of the thing).

So you too think that the nice guy next door type is not a sociopath.... interesting :devil:
can't figure this one out - typo?

We will just have to agree to differ on that one then. I doubt both the type and the descriptor but I guess the latter is a matter of taste.
Oh, dear. Let's not quarrel, then. :hug:

Errm I may well be showing my age or just simply my I but, who?
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen the twins from the American tv show Full House.

Mary-Kate And Ashley - Photos Gallery

I seriously doubt they are both INTP but I have seen it opinioned in places.

(Yes, I just made that word up to serve my purposes.)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
My husband and my son are both ISTPs. Perhaps there is a streak of humor running through their DNA that is unusual or something, but I assure you, they're very witty, and they are both ISTPs. My husband has a small repertoire of funny anecdotes, and jokes. He has excellent comedic timing. My son has good timing, too, for smart aleck remarks, probably learned from his father. My husband has another son from a previous marriage - ENFP - who has the very same sense of humor. Perhaps it is in the DNA.
To be very P again (just for Pink Piranha who loves this stuff), Have you thought that it may be an INTJs take on an ISTP?

For example let's consider the fluffiness factor.
You're an NT and could be anywhere from sociopath to out and out wubbie, though I reckon your more toward the latter personally which argues against my own theory (typical). So if they as STs are more fluffy than you then you may well see them as sociable and affable types of people where as a more sociable person like an ENFP may regard them as quite cold just not as cold as you ;)

One thing my father taught me was to try and see the type of the person who is describing the other person's type.
Perhaps it would be good for us to remind ourselves at this point that Spock was not human. He had NO feelings. Ts have feelings. We just don't use them as a standard when making decisions.
:rofl1: Spock is a perfect T. All that "I have no emotion" can be countered by a simple "Yah. You wish!". Ts may think they aren't using emotion for decision making but they usually are. The more they protest, the more they are using.
I was wondering if anyone thought MacGuyver (80's tv show) is an ISTP. He reminds me of my husband to a great extent - highly resourceful, inventive in a pinch, clever at developing a plan B.
I'd have said that MacGuyver was more of an F actually. Though his resourceful nature is the centre point of the show he's most often found supporting some bleeding heart or another.
I know one male ESTP. He is the most selfish human being I know on the face of this earth.
Oh my finacee can appear very selfish, usually though it's just that she's lost concentration and so everyone else has ceased to exist :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm not sure I know what you said, but I think you said that if your friend is not 100% sure of something, he won't say anything. Perhaps he has a good bit of P influencing that (and the witty sayings attitude also).
He's a competancy freak like me. The difference being that if you ask me then I will tell you where the insecurity lies. He seems more prone to just denying the problem or changing tracks half way.
My attitude - if someone asks - when I don't KNOW something is to say "I don't know" but I am willing to offer an opinion (usually based on the principle of the thing).
How very P of you.

"One of us, one of us, one of us" :devil:
can't figure this one out - typo?

It's where you spell something wrong by accident when using a keyboard :D
(Seriously the statement isn't perfect english but it does make sense once the intonation is correct. I doubt it's important enough though to waste much time on.)
Oh, dear. Let's not quarrel, then. :hug:
Not quarrel? How's that fun?
*poke*

*poke*

*POKE*
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen the twins from the American tv show Full House.
Nope. Sorry but I've never heard of them.
I seriously doubt they are both INTP but I have seen it opinioned in places.

(Yes, I just made that word up to serve my purposes.)
See. Even you Js can innovate :devil:

Making up words which make sense is part fo the art. I applaud such uses. Can't stand language nazi's myself. What's the point of having a living language and then shooting it stone cold dead with "have to"s?
:)

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Perhaps it would be good for us to remind ourselves at this point that Spock was not human. He had NO feelings.
He wished :rolli: Not only was he half-human anyway, but even full-blooded Vulcans DO have emotions. That's even the problem: in their natural state, they have *too much* emotion for their own good :devil: Hence their totally "logical" decision to just get rid of them... as if they could :cool: Pon farr anyone :whistling: ?

Anyway: sorry for the little OT aparte. I'm just a hopeless Spock fan :wubbie: (I fell in love with him at age 8. You just don't recover from such life-changing events :D )

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay there's plenty of examples of the whole "is it just me?" syndrome but one has come to light for me in the past couple of weeks.

I was looking for an alternative to driving or walking to work. It's too close to drive and not feel like some couch potatoe (or start to resemble one) and it's not good for my nitrous rollerskate either. I was initially looking at getting a bicycle after seeing some new sale or something on TV but when I looked into it I failed totally to see the point. Yeah sure there's the flash bikes but they look as painful to ride as all the others and the Indian style chopper bike just screamed wannabe to me. So I figure for more comfort and new stuff I'll have a look at a recumbent bike and whilst doing that I found recumbent tricycles (not fancying trying to balance with my arse as the centre of balance) but they were hideously expensive and looked like an excellent way of covering yourself with road grime before work, plus I have no where to store a bike at either my house or work nevermind a recumbent tricycle!! So as I'm looking around the websites I stumble across an old friend the skateboard. I used to have one as a kid and looking through them just gave me the desire to have one again but lo what do I find.. longboards! Apparently they're better for "crusing" and travelling across distances which is just what I was looking for. Okay so they're 3 to 4 feet in length and could quite possible scatter me across the road whilst pelting down the slope that takes me to work but hell they looked fun.

Me being me I decide to see what others think to the idea and whether they'd be up for getting one just for messing about on and perhaps a blast around the shops on the odd occasion. Now to describe the look I got I can only really put :thelook: combined with :huh: and :rolli:.

According to my "advisors" I may have struck my head on something solid or be experiencing some kind of need to revive my childhood. Pah says I. Is it just me? Am I the only person who can see the logic behind the enthusiasm and how fun can be combined with such a practical, if a little unconventional, solution?

Of course when reviewing the course today as I walked to work the impracticalities did occur like the breaks in the pavement or the bad joins between two slabs. Those areas where I'd come off or careen into someone's car. I figure the practicality has dropped off in my eyes but I still see the recreational value to the idea. Who wouldn't like to surf the tarmac and gently roll along rather than plod? I figure it'd be good exercise too what with falling off and getting back up every five minutes (I don't go for the whole "low impact" philosophy :) ) even if trying to propel a wheeled surf board at high speed doesn't do much.

Mind you this is the same crowd who gave a similar reception to water cooling my computer. Okay so I fried it already and had to replace a bunch of parts but it was entertaining. When did people get so boring?

Anyhow, are you the innovator?
Do you tend to get that look from people that intimates that they think you've just fallen off the back of a space lorry and hit your head?
Why do people stop trying such things?
What is it that dies within them?
Is it they who lose something or me who's gained/ lost something?

(Oh and if you're wondering why this is in the psychology section and not the more fluff zone areas it's because I see this as related to psychology in a larger fashion as beneath the surface influence on many areas. Also I'm looking at this and wondering if keeping your "youth" in such a fashion is a sign of development or regression.)
Walk.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
To be very P again (just for Pink Piranha who loves this stuff), Have you thought that it may be an INTJs take on an ISTP?

For example let's consider the fluffiness factor.
You're an NT and could be anywhere from sociopath to out and out wubbie, though I reckon your more toward the latter personally which argues against my own theory (typical). So if they as STs are more fluffy than you then you may well see them as sociable and affable types of people where as a more sociable person like an ENFP may regard them as quite cold just not as cold as you ;)

One thing my father taught me was to try and see the type of the person who is describing the other person's type.
I agree with your father. I also take such things into consideration. (Is he an INxJ?)

Concerning the "fluffiness factor" I used to HATE fun. I believed life was meant to be serious, and there's no time for fun and games. However, God has a sense of humor and made me fall in love with someone who thinks people should "Stay flexible and have fun." (One of his favorite sayings.) So I have been broken of my serious ways - mostly.

Just for the record, there was a time when I wondered whether my son was an ESTP, but he is far too shy and reserved for that. You will just have to trust my 15 years of experience on the subject. The ISTP profile best fits my son.

Here's what caused the problem: I was not giving a FULL DESCRIPTION of my 2 ISTP family members for people to judge for themselves what their type is.

I was making a point about ONE ASPECT of their personality. Xander said Spock was an ISTP and my point was that that is impossible because ISTPs have a "fun side" of their personality that is very prominent. I don't recall Spock ever having any fun at all, even once (though I hate the show and hardly ever watched it - if he did like to have fun, let me know). The object of my explanation was to make ISTPs sound like they are a lot more fun than people seem to think they are. So that's why I made them sound like they are fun. That was the point I was trying to make. It's not their whole profile, It's just one aspect that I believe is very important. Generally speaking, the SPs are the most fun-loving or playful of all types. ISTPs are not as much fun as ESTPs or ESFPs, but they are still fun-needing people.

It's part of the ISTP profile that ISTPs MUST make work fun. I have the perfect illustration: When my ISTP son was about three years of age, I asked him to quickly go to the kitchen and get me the towel hanging on the refrigerator door to clean up a spill. I expected him to dutifully run, full speed, get the towel and fetch it back double time, as any good, obedient, parent-pleasing child would do (read: as I would have done). Instead, my son immediately dropped down on all fours, and like a dog, went to the kitchen. He came back with the towel in his teeth! This was not amusing to me! I was furious that he did not do it "like he was supposed to". I felt my authority as a parent insulted by his playful behavior. Thank goodness for MBTI. I later learned that this is part of my son's personality. It wasn't a disrespectful personal attack on me, or my authority.

I have mainly used the profiles by Barron and Tieger to understand my children and they've been very helpful and spot on.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:smile:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
He's a competency freak like me. The difference being that if you ask me then I will tell you where the insecurity lies. He seems more prone to just denying the problem or changing tracks half way.
I am a competency freak also.

How very P of you.
"One of us, one of us, one of us" :devil:
OR, how very J of you! :devil:

Making up words which make sense is part of the art. I applaud such uses. Can't stand language nazi's myself. What's the point of having a living language and then shooting it stone cold dead with "have to"s? :)
Exactly. And for me, sometimes the made-up word just gets to my mind first.

People think the "guy-next-door" is a sociopath? :shock:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Sooo not the point. I DO walk. It's just too slow and not involving enough. I try to find decent things to think about, create the most wonderful posts and blog entries only to forget them and kick myself for doing so. I wish for the kicking to stop and I'm not about to carry a notebook around with me.
But walking is for "average" people! :smile:
Now add a roll of the eyes and a sarcastic tone and you have my INTJ mate down to a tee ;)

Why walk if you can fly and why fly if you can teleport? If you can't teleport of course then you'd best get figuring it out because walking is sooo passe!!
:static:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I agree with your father. I also take such things into consideration. (Is he an INxJ?)
ENTJ :) Same difference ;)
Concerning the "fluffiness factor" I used to HATE fun. I believed life was meant to be serious, and there's no time for fun and games. However, God has a sense of humor and made me fall in love with someone who thinks people should "Stay flexible and have fun." (One of his favorite sayings.) So I have been broken of my serious ways - mostly.
Don't break your serious ways!!!

Just have some serious fun ;)

Personally that's about where I've gotten to. I play an online game in a clan and when they abandoned a game part way through to play "let's stab each other at random" I just shut down the whole game without a word. I just don't feel like that's fun. It produces the same kind of feeling as when people damage stuff just cause they're bored.
Just for the record, there was a time when I wondered whether my son was an ESTP, but he is far too shy and reserved for that. You will just have to trust my 15 years of experience on the subject. The ISTP profile best fits my son.
Well.... My missus is a shy ESTP and they do sound quite similar.

I mean errrm *ahem* Yes Mum :hug:
Here's what caused the problem: I was not giving a FULL DESCRIPTION of my 2 ISTP family members for people to judge for themselves what their type is.

I was making a point about ONE ASPECT of their personality. Xander said Spock was an ISTP and my point was that that is impossible because ISTPs have a "fun side" of their personality that is very prominent. I don't recall Spock ever having any fun at all, even once (though I hate the show and hardly ever watched it - if he did like to have fun, let me know). The object of my explanation was to make ISTPs sound like they are a lot more fun than people seem to think they are. So that's why I made them sound like they are fun. That was the point I was trying to make. It's not their whole profile, It's just one aspect that I believe is very important. Generally speaking, the SPs are the most fun-loving or playful of all types. ISTPs are not as much fun as ESTPs or ESFPs, but they are still fun-needing people.

It's part of the ISTP profile that ISTPs MUST make work fun. I have the perfect illustration: When my ISTP son was about three years of age, I asked him to quickly go to the kitchen and get me the towel hanging on the refrigerator door to clean up a spill. I expected him to dutifully run, full speed, get the towel and fetch it back double time, as any good, obedient, parent-pleasing child would do (read: as I would have done). Instead, my son immediately dropped down on all fours, and like a dog, went to the kitchen. He came back with the towel in his teeth! This was not amusing to me! I was furious that he did not do it "like he was supposed to". I felt my authority as a parent insulted by his playful behavior. Thank goodness for MBTI. I later learned that this is part of my son's personality. It wasn't a disrespectful personal attack on me, or my authority.

I have mainly used the profiles by Barron and Tieger to understand my children and they've been very helpful and spot on.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:smile:
Sorry still sounds ESP to me. Loads of energy. Of course I could understand a high energy ISTP doing that. Hell I'm a high energy INTP, though many would laugh to hear such a description!!
I am a competency freak also.
Why of course ;)
OR, how very J of you! :devil:
Damn.
Exactly. And for me, sometimes the made-up word just gets to my mind first.
It's all those fluffy thinking processes you have. Something about INTJs taking a wander through the information until they form a decision. Mine's more like the information is thrown at me ala dodge ball.
People think the "guy-next-door" is a sociopath? :shock:
No. Sociopaths are often referred to as appearing harmless like 'the guy next door'.

A implies B does not imply that B implies A.
:duel:
(And whamo he's back in the game :D )

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well.... My missus is a shy ESTP and they do sound quite similar.
Maybe she's an "I". :devil:

Sorry still sounds ESP to me. Loads of energy. Of course I could understand a high energy ISTP doing that. Hell I'm a high energy INTP, though many would laugh to hear such a description!!
Now there's a good probability! My husband's great-grandfather was in the US Civil war and in his exit papers, it says that he sustained injuries that left him unable to work like "half a man" yet he was seen out scything his field at age 89! My husband has the energy of 3 or 4 of me. I would not doubt that your theory is on the right track.

Something about INTJs taking a wander through the information until they form a decision.
Ah, yes. My brain takes a wander looking for the correct word, and finding none, it fashions its own from the intent of the context.

No. Sociopaths are often referred to as appearing harmless like 'the guy next door'.

A implies B does not imply that B implies A.
:duel:
(And whamo he's back in the game :D )
I quite agree with you.
Who's the idiot who teaches otherwise?!
That's quite a stretch of imbecilic imagination.
(Aw, darn. I thought I invented another new word, but it's already on the books.) :cry:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Now add a roll of the eyes and a sarcastic tone and you have my INTJ mate down to a tee ;)
I cannot be sarcastic anymore, as I have learned to appreciate the SP approach to life - which I have contended is the motivation behind you wanting to ride a skateboard to work.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Maybe she's an "I". :devil:
:doh: MAybe she's a low energy E :tongue10:

Actually she was trying to type someone last night and was guessing that they were a high energy ISTP. The guy was an MBTI adjudicator (or whatever they call them) and said he was an I and an S, she was guessing on the remainder.
Now there's a good probability! My husband's great-grandfather was in the US Civil war and in his exit papers, it says that he sustained injuries that left him unable to work like "half a man" yet he was seen out scything his field at age 89! My husband has the energy of 3 or 4 of me. I would not doubt that your theory is on the right track.
Not sure that all types of energy are the same but I get your drift. I'm thinking that this kind of energy would be most directly related to presence. If some one has presence then it's probable that they are high energy. Though of course not all presence can be equated to the Brian Blessed school of how to impress people ;)
Ah, yes. My brain takes a wander looking for the correct word, and finding none, it fashions its own from the intent of the context.
How very ENTP of you. (That's a good thing btw)
I quite agree with you.
Who's the idiot who teaches otherwise?!
That's quite a stretch of imbecilic imagination.
(Aw, darn. I thought I invented another new word, but it's already on the books.) :cry:
I've not heard of it *searching*

Non warlike imagination... probably not what you were going for :D

I get your drift though. I's one of my father's pearls of wisdom. It's quite astounding to me, once I'd heard it, how often it applies. It often forms the basis for excellent checking of logical thought.
I cannot be sarcastic anymore, as I have learned to appreciate the SP approach to life - which I have contended is the motivation behind you wanting to ride a skateboard to work.
My friend (an ENTP according to him though he's quite quiet) has the perfect motto for this on his email "Do things differently". I doubt it's SP necessarily but it's fun whatever it is. Mind you the most fun loving person I know is an ExFP (probably an S though her test results are 50/50).

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

My husband is also ISTP. He is very much like ISTP description and he has extremely strong T, quite strong I & S. He is very tough minded person. Very much not trying to please anybody. He might be very different ISTP from your husband and son. But not all ISTP's are alike...;)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I thought I had invented the word imbecilic, but it was already invented. :smile:

It's been so nice chatting with you.
Let us know which scooter you decide on! :smile:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Anyhow, are you the innovator?
Do you tend to get that look from people that intimates that they think you've just fallen off the back of a space lorry and hit your head?

By definition, mon ami :D Just goes with the Ne territory. You think you get it bad, try having function-weirdass (and let everyone know about it!*) as your dominant! :laugh:

And try snakeboarding. Faster and just more well, ubercool than skateboarding. And less hard work as well. Seriously dude, give it a try (if you can even find a snakeboard - I'm glad I got mine way back in the 90's cos I can't find them for love nor money nowadays!). I used to totally whizz through the 4 miles to work and back on mine a couple of years ago. Now I work only a ten minute walk away, so I don't use it so much, but I still go out on it now and then. Years ago, when lots of my friends used to use them as well, we used to play basketball on them - fast paced and challenging, great fun! :)

You can get streetboards easily enough, which are almost the same thing.

*As opposed to Ni, which is function weirdass (but keep it to yourself)!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
By definition, mon ami :D Just goes with the Ne territory. You think you get it bad, try having function-weirdass (and let everyone know about it!*) as your dominant! :laugh:
Yeah but yuz one of em extro nasties. You talk to people an stuff! That's just wrong all by itself!

;)

Oddly the ENTP I know is quite poor at innovation. He's quite stuck in his ways. Odd the variations you get.
And try snakeboarding. Faster and just more well, ubercool than skateboarding. And less hard work as well. Seriously dude, give it a try (if you can even find a snakeboard - I'm glad I got mine way back in the 90's cos I can't find them for love nor money nowadays!). I used to totally whizz through the 4 miles to work and back on mine a couple of years ago. Now I work only a ten minute walk away, so I don't use it so much, but I still go out on it now and then. Years ago, when lots of my friends used to use them as well, we used to play basketball on them - fast paced and challenging, great fun! :)

You can get streetboards easily enough, which are almost the same thing.

*As opposed to Ni, which is function weirdass (but keep it to yourself)!

I can't find one :( You'll have to roll over and show me :)