Thread: Is it just me?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    No. No. No. Spock is emotionless, cold and calculating. ISTPs are not like that.
    INTPs are most capable of being like that, and we have already established that you are not a normal INTP.
    ISTPs must above all else be unique and cool - as in "Joe Cool".
    They are very witty and entertaining around their friends.
    They're too casual and relaxed to be Spock.
    Doesn't sound like the ISTP's I know. Sounds more like ESTP's. ISTP's I know are cool and reserved people just like in the ISTP description:

Cool onlookers. Quiet, reserved, observing and analyzing life with detached curiosity and unexpected flashes of original humor. Usually interested in impersonal principles, cause and effect, how and why mechanical things work. Exert themselves no more than they think necessary because any waste of energy would be inefficient. Action-oriented, precise and tireless. Can be impulsive. Challenged by complex equipment. Somewhat solitary.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    Doesn't sound like the ISTP's I know. Sounds more like ESTP's. ISTP's I know are cool and reserved people just like in the ISTP description:

Cool onlookers. Quiet, reserved, observing and analyzing life with detached curiosity and unexpected flashes of original humor. Usually interested in impersonal principles, cause and effect, how and why mechanical things work. Exert themselves no more than they think necessary because any waste of energy would be inefficient. Action-oriented, precise and tireless. Can be impulsive. Challenged by complex equipment. Somewhat solitary.
    My husband and my son are both ISTPs. Perhaps there is a streak of humor running through their DNA that is unusual or something, but I assure you, they're very witty, and they are both ISTPs. My husband has a small repertoire of funny anecdotes, and jokes. He has excellent comedic timing. My son has good timing, too, for smart aleck remarks, probably learned from his father. My husband has another son from a previous marriage - ENFP - who has the very same sense of humor. Perhaps it is in the DNA.

Perhaps it would be good for us to remind ourselves at this point that Spock was not human. He had NO feelings. Ts have feelings. We just don't use them as a standard when making decisions.

I was wondering if anyone thought MacGuyver (80's tv show) is an ISTP. He reminds me of my husband to a great extent - highly resourceful, inventive in a pinch, clever at developing a plan B.

I know one male ESTP. He is the most selfish human being I know on the face of this earth.
    My husband is the most unselfish human I know.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    When I had a hairdresser, when I was young, he apparently invented a fragrancing toilet seat.

That would be one way of truly saying "mine don't stink" I guess
    Hmm. That's a useful idea.

Odd. My INTJ friend seems opposed to wise little sayings as he sees their shortcomings too easily. Try and roll out one of those little two line ditties and you get
    It figures. Always an exception to the rule.

As for the train of ideas, painful for you?!?! Try it from this side sister. Getting what the INTJ is actually on about instead of all the bluster and screening is like digging through rock!! Granite!!

I know the typical INTJ is supposed to be the straight up type but it seems that in any situation where their answer is less than 100% certain that all information on the incident is withheld and classified FMEO (for my eyes only). I've had to conclude that similar to all NTs non confidence is crippling and that the INTJ manner of handling this lack of competency is to shut off all routes to the evidence. Remarkably similar to the ENTP methodology in goal if not execution.
    I'm not sure I know what you said, but I think you said that if your friend is not 100% sure of something, he won't say anything. Perhaps he has a good bit of P influencing that (and the witty sayings attitude also).

My attitude - if someone asks - when I don't KNOW something is to say "I don't know" but I am willing to offer an opinion (usually based on the principle of the thing).

So you too think that the nice guy next door type is not a sociopath.... interesting
    can't figure this one out - typo?

We will just have to agree to differ on that one then. I doubt both the type and the descriptor but I guess the latter is a matter of taste.
    Oh, dear. Let's not quarrel, then.

Errm I may well be showing my age or just simply my I but, who?
    Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen the twins from the American tv show Full House.

Mary-Kate And Ashley - Photos Gallery

I seriously doubt they are both INTP but I have seen it opinioned in places.

(Yes, I just made that word up to serve my purposes.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

My husband and my son are both ISTPs. Perhaps there is a streak of humor running through their DNA that is unusual or something, but I assure you, they're very witty, and they are both ISTPs. My husband has a small repertoire of funny anecdotes, and jokes. He has excellent comedic timing. My son has good timing, too, for smart aleck remarks, probably learned from his father. My husband has another son from a previous marriage - ENFP - who has the very same sense of humor. Perhaps it is in the DNA.
    To be very P again (just for Pink Piranha who loves this stuff), Have you thought that it may be an INTJs take on an ISTP?

For example let's consider the fluffiness factor.
    You're an NT and could be anywhere from sociopath to out and out wubbie, though I reckon your more toward the latter personally which argues against my own theory (typical). So if they as STs are more fluffy than you then you may well see them as sociable and affable types of people where as a more sociable person like an ENFP may regard them as quite cold just not as cold as you

One thing my father taught me was to try and see the type of the person who is describing the other person's type.
    Perhaps it would be good for us to remind ourselves at this point that Spock was not human. He had NO feelings. Ts have feelings. We just don't use them as a standard when making decisions.
    Spock is a perfect T. All that "I have no emotion" can be countered by a simple "Yah. You wish!". Ts may think they aren't using emotion for decision making but they usually are. The more they protest, the more they are using.
    I was wondering if anyone thought MacGuyver (80's tv show) is an ISTP. He reminds me of my husband to a great extent - highly resourceful, inventive in a pinch, clever at developing a plan B.
    I'd have said that MacGuyver was more of an F actually. Though his resourceful nature is the centre point of the show he's most often found supporting some bleeding heart or another.
    I know one male ESTP. He is the most selfish human being I know on the face of this earth.
    My husband is the most unselfish human I know.
    Oh my finacee can appear very selfish, usually though it's just that she's lost concentration and so everyone else has ceased to exist
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm not sure I know what you said, but I think you said that if your friend is not 100% sure of something, he won't say anything. Perhaps he has a good bit of P influencing that (and the witty sayings attitude also).
    He's a competancy freak like me. The difference being that if you ask me then I will tell you where the insecurity lies. He seems more prone to just denying the problem or changing tracks half way.
    My attitude - if someone asks - when I don't KNOW something is to say "I don't know" but I am willing to offer an opinion (usually based on the principle of the thing).
    How very P of you.

"One of us, one of us, one of us"
    can't figure this one out - typo?

It's where you spell something wrong by accident when using a keyboard
    (Seriously the statement isn't perfect english but it does make sense once the intonation is correct. I doubt it's important enough though to waste much time on.)
    Oh, dear. Let's not quarrel, then.
    Not quarrel? How's that fun?
    *poke*

*poke*

*POKE*
    Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen the twins from the American tv show Full House.
    Nope. Sorry but I've never heard of them.
    I seriously doubt they are both INTP but I have seen it opinioned in places.

(Yes, I just made that word up to serve my purposes.)
    See. Even you Js can innovate

Making up words which make sense is part fo the art. I applaud such uses. Can't stand language nazi's myself. What's the point of having a living language and then shooting it stone cold dead with "have to"s?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ

Perhaps it would be good for us to remind ourselves at this point that Spock was not human. He had NO feelings.
    He wished :rolli: Not only was he half-human anyway, but even full-blooded Vulcans DO have emotions. That's even the problem: in their natural state, they have *too much* emotion for their own good Hence their totally "logical" decision to just get rid of them... as if they could Pon farr anyone ?

Anyway: sorry for the little OT aparte. I'm just a hopeless Spock fan (I fell in love with him at age 8. You just don't recover from such life-changing events )

MBTI
    INTP

Okay there's plenty of examples of the whole "is it just me?" syndrome but one has come to light for me in the past couple of weeks.

I was looking for an alternative to driving or walking to work. It's too close to drive and not feel like some couch potatoe (or start to resemble one) and it's not good for my nitrous rollerskate either. I was initially looking at getting a bicycle after seeing some new sale or something on TV but when I looked into it I failed totally to see the point. Yeah sure there's the flash bikes but they look as painful to ride as all the others and the Indian style chopper bike just screamed wannabe to me. So I figure for more comfort and new stuff I'll have a look at a recumbent bike and whilst doing that I found recumbent tricycles (not fancying trying to balance with my arse as the centre of balance) but they were hideously expensive and looked like an excellent way of covering yourself with road grime before work, plus I have no where to store a bike at either my house or work nevermind a recumbent tricycle!! So as I'm looking around the websites I stumble across an old friend the skateboard. I used to have one as a kid and looking through them just gave me the desire to have one again but lo what do I find.. longboards! Apparently they're better for "crusing" and travelling across distances which is just what I was looking for. Okay so they're 3 to 4 feet in length and could quite possible scatter me across the road whilst pelting down the slope that takes me to work but hell they looked fun.

Me being me I decide to see what others think to the idea and whether they'd be up for getting one just for messing about on and perhaps a blast around the shops on the odd occasion. Now to describe the look I got I can only really put combined with and :rolli:.

According to my "advisors" I may have struck my head on something solid or be experiencing some kind of need to revive my childhood. Pah says I. Is it just me? Am I the only person who can see the logic behind the enthusiasm and how fun can be combined with such a practical, if a little unconventional, solution?

Of course when reviewing the course today as I walked to work the impracticalities did occur like the breaks in the pavement or the bad joins between two slabs. Those areas where I'd come off or careen into someone's car. I figure the practicality has dropped off in my eyes but I still see the recreational value to the idea. Who wouldn't like to surf the tarmac and gently roll along rather than plod? I figure it'd be good exercise too what with falling off and getting back up every five minutes (I don't go for the whole "low impact" philosophy ) even if trying to propel a wheeled surf board at high speed doesn't do much.

Mind you this is the same crowd who gave a similar reception to water cooling my computer. Okay so I fried it already and had to replace a bunch of parts but it was entertaining. When did people get so boring?

Anyhow, are you the innovator?
    Do you tend to get that look from people that intimates that they think you've just fallen off the back of a space lorry and hit your head?
    Why do people stop trying such things?
    What is it that dies within them?
    Is it they who lose something or me who's gained/ lost something?

(Oh and if you're wondering why this is in the psychology section and not the more fluff zone areas it's because I see this as related to psychology in a larger fashion as beneath the surface influence on many areas. Also I'm looking at this and wondering if keeping your "youth" in such a fashion is a sign of development or regression.)
    Walk.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Walk.
    But walking is for "average" people!

MBTI
    INTJ

To be very P again (just for Pink Piranha who loves this stuff), Have you thought that it may be an INTJs take on an ISTP?

For example let's consider the fluffiness factor.
    You're an NT and could be anywhere from sociopath to out and out wubbie, though I reckon your more toward the latter personally which argues against my own theory (typical). So if they as STs are more fluffy than you then you may well see them as sociable and affable types of people where as a more sociable person like an ENFP may regard them as quite cold just not as cold as you

One thing my father taught me was to try and see the type of the person who is describing the other person's type.
    I agree with your father. I also take such things into consideration. (Is he an INxJ?)

Concerning the "fluffiness factor" I used to HATE fun. I believed life was meant to be serious, and there's no time for fun and games. However, God has a sense of humor and made me fall in love with someone who thinks people should "Stay flexible and have fun." (One of his favorite sayings.) So I have been broken of my serious ways - mostly.

Just for the record, there was a time when I wondered whether my son was an ESTP, but he is far too shy and reserved for that. You will just have to trust my 15 years of experience on the subject. The ISTP profile best fits my son.

Here's what caused the problem: I was not giving a FULL DESCRIPTION of my 2 ISTP family members for people to judge for themselves what their type is.

I was making a point about ONE ASPECT of their personality. Xander said Spock was an ISTP and my point was that that is impossible because ISTPs have a "fun side" of their personality that is very prominent. I don't recall Spock ever having any fun at all, even once (though I hate the show and hardly ever watched it - if he did like to have fun, let me know). The object of my explanation was to make ISTPs sound like they are a lot more fun than people seem to think they are. So that's why I made them sound like they are fun. That was the point I was trying to make. It's not their whole profile, It's just one aspect that I believe is very important. Generally speaking, the SPs are the most fun-loving or playful of all types. ISTPs are not as much fun as ESTPs or ESFPs, but they are still fun-needing people.

It's part of the ISTP profile that ISTPs MUST make work fun. I have the perfect illustration: When my ISTP son was about three years of age, I asked him to quickly go to the kitchen and get me the towel hanging on the refrigerator door to clean up a spill. I expected him to dutifully run, full speed, get the towel and fetch it back double time, as any good, obedient, parent-pleasing child would do (read: as I would have done). Instead, my son immediately dropped down on all fours, and like a dog, went to the kitchen. He came back with the towel in his teeth! This was not amusing to me! I was furious that he did not do it "like he was supposed to". I felt my authority as a parent insulted by his playful behavior. Thank goodness for MBTI. I later learned that this is part of my son's personality. It wasn't a disrespectful personal attack on me, or my authority.

I have mainly used the profiles by Barron and Tieger to understand my children and they've been very helpful and spot on.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

MBTI
    INTJ

He's a competency freak like me. The difference being that if you ask me then I will tell you where the insecurity lies. He seems more prone to just denying the problem or changing tracks half way.
    I am a competency freak also.

How very P of you.
    "One of us, one of us, one of us"
    OR, how very J of you!

Making up words which make sense is part of the art. I applaud such uses. Can't stand language nazi's myself. What's the point of having a living language and then shooting it stone cold dead with "have to"s?
    Exactly. And for me, sometimes the made-up word just gets to my mind first.

People think the "guy-next-door" is a sociopath?