• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it just me?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe it's just me but that movable foundation seems dangerous to the human spine.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
By the way, they're called snakeboards in the US and streetboards everywhere else because the snakeboard people were too selfish to share the name.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Please note:
It is not legal to ride an electric skateboard on the public highway in the UK.
~Wet and Dry Board Sports

:steam:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
By the way, they're called snakeboards in the US and streetboards everywhere else because the snakeboard people were too selfish to share the name.
Oh I found that tidbit but following your links I found electric skateboards!! 30kph and no pushing! Now that appeals to my lazy side. Also they have brakes!

Expensive though :(

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
:doh: Okay my internet searching skills need a lashing now. Thanks Mom :)
Just trying to help - though it does make me wonder. Don't you use Google?
Such a J :smile:

You ever wondered why skateboarders look like rag dolls when they stand with their arms all loose? Now you know :D
No, I don't wonder. I understand physics perfectly well, thank you. ;)

So Substitute... you never twisted your back or hips or anything? No significant injuries?

Now that I think of it, I'd probably twist my knees first, if I tried it. But I can hardly do tricks on my son's skateboard when it's firmly planted in the living room carpet, so you'll never see me on a snakeboard.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Please note:
It is not legal to ride an electric skateboard on the public highway in the UK.
~Wet and Dry Board Sports

:steam:
You were planning on going on the highway? :shock:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
We so need a thread on alternative transport methods.

Oh and Mom, I checked out a small vid on the exboard (a snakeboard like device) and I now see what you mean.

It's like "jump onto this rubber ball and then bounce whilst twisting without falling off the ball"!!

I think that'd take lots of practice. And knee pads. And a helmet. And possibly airbags too!

I'll check on those scooters later, I'm thinking of doing a bit of a run down on alternative transport gadgets. It'd be interesting to see what everyone can come up with in terms of small, efficient and green methods of getting from A to B.

(Aside from walking, Mr Wildcat. Before you start :tongue10: )

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
So Substitute... you never twisted your back or hips or anything? No significant injuries?

Now that I think of it, I'd probably twist my knees first, if I tried it. But I can hardly do tricks on my son's skateboard when it's firmly planted in the living room carpet, so you'll never see me on a snakeboard.

Been doing it since I was 14 (that's almost 16 years ago) and no injuries at all. Well, except the grazes and bruises that come from falling off quite often in early days of learning to use it, and then much rarer, say one or two every six months - oh and that time I broke my arm, and fractured my wrist and elbow - but that's nothing to do with the snakeboard, that's just me being careless and reckless (multi-storey car park; spirally car-go-downy-thing; middle of night; place large obstacle in middle; hurtle down spiral at very high speed and attempt to jump obstacle; clear obstacle; look back in triumphant jubilation; slam into concrete wall) :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Been doing it since I was 14 (that's almost 16 years ago) and no injuries at all. Well, except the grazes and bruises that come from falling off quite often in early days of learning to use it, and then much rarer, say one or two every six months - oh and that time I broke my arm, and fractured my wrist and elbow - but that's nothing to do with the snakeboard, that's just me being careless and reckless (multi-storey car park; spirally car-go-downy-thing; middle of night; place large obstacle in middle; hurtle down spiral at very high speed and attempt to jump obstacle; clear obstacle; look back in triumphant jubilation; slam into concrete wall) :D
Oh the money you could have made if only someone had a video camera!

"Pride cometh before a fall" :happy:

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Hey, I know the conversation's moved on, but hey, I'm gonna respond to the OP. ;)

Anyhow, are you the innovator?

Not innovator, so much, but I notice random, trivial details and get totally fascinated with them. Probably because I never actually noticed them before. I sometimes find if I stare at a word too long the letters will start to seperate, and then all of a sudden it's so WEIRD that the word is spelled like that... like, omg, who put those letters in that order and told them to sound like whatever it is? Not to mention how funny letters are within themselves. ;)

Anyway, where were we? I do tend to think of things that other people don't, or enjoy doing things that other people find 'childish'. Like cartoons! You're never too old for cartoons.

Do you tend to get that look from people that intimates that they think you've just fallen off the back of a space lorry and hit your head?

Isn't that like, the definition of being an N? ;)

Why do people stop trying such things?

Because other people give them those funny looks. Society doesn't like experimental and unusual things, generally. And self-esteem is a fragile, fragile thing.

What is it that dies within them?

There's something so wonderful in the boundless innocence and borderless imagination of a child... the mind has no choice but to close off as it gets older just to be able to function in this world of ours, but I think there's something incredibly valuable in keeping your thoughts and imagination as free as possible.

When I started studying architecture, one of the tutors said to us that in the first year, maybe year and a half of the degree, we really had the ability to create something totally different, totally wonderfully new. Beyond that, however, we'd have 'learned too much' to really be able to be that free-thinking again. We'd have discovered what could be done, and what couldn't, and thus would no longer really be able to create something that is categorised into the 'can't be done' folder.

I have a tendancy to think the world does a similar thing to people. Sure, there's little practical application in the imagination of a child, but why does everything have to be practical? You're not going to get anything new if you never imagine outside the boundaries of what is possible and real.

Is it they who lose something or me who's gained/ lost something?

The former, moreso. You don't lose anything by remaining open to that 'childishness', if you will, unless you do something like totally let go of the basic skills that are required for functioning as an adult.

Kids grow up too quickly these days, anyhow. Keeping that youth is a rare thing. More commonly, I think, we try to consciously return to it after years of trying to be 'older'.

I've recently gotten to know a bunch of people and we're all so delightfully, wonderfully childish at times. (It's so refreshing, to be honest.) This is not to say we can't be responsible, studious individuals when life requires it (and boy does it require it, sometimes), but there's nothing better than the ability to let go and just have fun in a purely childish way. We're at the age where we can still get away with things like that in public without too many raised eyebrows (*cough*), but I am firmly of the belief that there's no reason why a bunch of university students in their early twenties shouldn't chase each other up and down and around a playground for hours if they should so desire. ;)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay there's plenty of examples of the whole "is it just me?" syndrome but one has come to light for me in the past couple of weeks.

I was looking for an alternative to driving or walking to work. It's too close to drive and not feel like some couch potatoe (or start to resemble one) and it's not good for my nitrous rollerskate either. I was initially looking at getting a bicycle after seeing some new sale or something on TV but when I looked into it I failed totally to see the point. Yeah sure there's the flash bikes but they look as painful to ride as all the others and the Indian style chopper bike just screamed wannabe to me. So I figure for more comfort and new stuff I'll have a look at a recumbent bike and whilst doing that I found recumbent tricycles (not fancying trying to balance with my arse as the centre of balance) but they were hideously expensive and looked like an excellent way of covering yourself with road grime before work, plus I have no where to store a bike at either my house or work nevermind a recumbent tricycle!! So as I'm looking around the websites I stumble across an old friend the skateboard. I used to have one as a kid and looking through them just gave me the desire to have one again but lo what do I find.. longboards! Apparently they're better for "crusing" and travelling across distances which is just what I was looking for. Okay so they're 3 to 4 feet in length and could quite possible scatter me across the road whilst pelting down the slope that takes me to work but hell they looked fun.

Me being me I decide to see what others think to the idea and whether they'd be up for getting one just for messing about on and perhaps a blast around the shops on the odd occasion. Now to describe the look I got I can only really put :thelook: combined with :huh: and :rolli:.

According to my "advisors" I may have struck my head on something solid or be experiencing some kind of need to revive my childhood. Pah says I. Is it just me? Am I the only person who can see the logic behind the enthusiasm and how fun can be combined with such a practical, if a little unconventional, solution?

Of course when reviewing the course today as I walked to work the impracticalities did occur like the breaks in the pavement or the bad joins between two slabs. Those areas where I'd come off or careen into someone's car. I figure the practicality has dropped off in my eyes but I still see the recreational value to the idea. Who wouldn't like to surf the tarmac and gently roll along rather than plod? I figure it'd be good exercise too what with falling off and getting back up every five minutes (I don't go for the whole "low impact" philosophy :) ) even if trying to propel a wheeled surf board at high speed doesn't do much.

Mind you this is the same crowd who gave a similar reception to water cooling my computer. Okay so I fried it already and had to replace a bunch of parts but it was entertaining. When did people get so boring?

Anyhow, are you the innovator?
Do you tend to get that look from people that intimates that they think you've just fallen off the back of a space lorry and hit your head?
Why do people stop trying such things?
What is it that dies within them?
Is it they who lose something or me who's gained/ lost something?

(Oh and if you're wondering why this is in the psychology section and not the more fluff zone areas it's because I see this as related to psychology in a larger fashion as beneath the surface influence on many areas. Also I'm looking at this and wondering if keeping your "youth" in such a fashion is a sign of development or regression.)
What is all this motor traffic for?
The creation of the network made it unnecessary.

It continues all the same.
For whose end?

For the end of the benefactor.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
What is all this motor traffic for?
The creation of the network made it unnecessary.

It continues all the same.
For whose end?

For the end of the benefactor.
I think the induction was as with everything. One person made a device out of a love of similar devices. Someone then took someone's love and made it into a rule by which to funnel people into the machine. Now it's hard to find the love within the machine.
Oops. I have to take a hike.
Don't forget your mac. It's not hiking unless you're wearing one. It's just a long walk ;)

Question, do you have a thumbstick?