• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Awkward Social Situations

E

Epiphany

I found myself in one tonight. A house party - not the kind with young, single people mingling and looking to get laid; the kind with mostly married couples in a rich neighborhood. I told the girl who invited me that it was going to be awkward. It's not like a bar or club where the crowd is predominantly unaquainted with each other. It's like a family gathering where everyone knows everyone else....except you. I'm terrible at small talk and I hate to bullshit with people about their occupation, etc... because I really don't care. To make matters worse I had to sit at this table and look at those who were sitting across from me. Pretending to text on my phone will only get me so far. The highlight of my night was a queer game called Beer Tip? ...or Beer Flip?

Share your awkward social situtations.

T

ThatGirl

You must not have cared much about having an awkward night either, or you would most likely put a little more effort into small talk.

Weird thing I don't really hate small talk. Because if I am participating in the conversation, it rarely stays that way. Although I am guilty of hijacking a conversation.

Little_Sticks

Try being provocative. It's entertaining and even if it fails, the worst that happens is you get asked to leave and you never will feel obligated to go their parties again because you won't get invited :). Win-Win, YAY!

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Ok I just moved into a new place.

The guy who lives downstairs is a likable but loud alcoholic.
He often spends all day sitting in the front steps with his buddies, and when I say all day, I mean all day.

Every coming and going involves the same thing. Hey what ya doing?, where ya going?, got a cigarette?, how you liking it?.. etc etc. This is fine once a day maybe.
But it`s getting a bit awkward now.

You already said hello, Ive already told you how I am doing, not much has changed in 45 minutes and I am just going to buy a fucking Pepsi. what does it matter?.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Determining what to say to my INFP's very Asian parents. Probably the best awkward social situations i ever have. Being around them is probably the least i ever talk.

Also, when waiting for people to show up to where i am. I feign checking my phone and force texting people to make like i have something better to do than sit there awkwardly.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Determining what to say to my INFP's very Asian parents. Probably the best awkward social situations i ever have. Being around them is probably the least i ever talk.

Also, when waiting for people to show up to where i am. I feign checking my phone and force texting people to make like i have something better to do than sit there awkwardly.

This can be awkward to someone ?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That can be awkward to someone ?

Mhm. I'm used to going places with other people, so being alone is always a bit strange to me. I want to learn to get used to it, but it's so strange in my world.

thirtiesgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
That can be awkward to someone ?

It can feel very awkward. I'm a single woman and I often go out to eat alone. Because going out to eat is such a social activity - done with your partner, family, friends or co-workers - it can feel very awkward to be sitting in a restaurant alone. The same can be said for waiting in public places for a group of friends. If it's a public place where there are lots of groups of people, it can feel very awkward to 'stand out' as the sole single person. I sometimes feel this way if I'm meeting people to go see a movie. All these other groups of moviegoers are buying tickets, entering the theater, etc., and there I stand, the sole single person...waiting for my group to arrive, but not wanting to look too obvious while waiting, if you know what I mean. This is often why I bring a book or magazine with me, to help get through those moments of awkwardness. ...Which reminds me, I gotta charge my cell phone. Fiddling around w/ my cell phone is another thing I often do to 'cover' awkward moments. Especially when I'm waiting for my food at a restaurant where I'm eating by myself.

Chloe

Most awkward situations for me is when I cant get out of them, I mean: tell what I mean.

It's usually with my not-so-favorite-relatives, who gossip much and i know they hate me and all so when they start asking awkward questions i cant tell them how it is or to fuck off because it'd create more problems to me and my family.
it's the same with somebody i know superficially and i know he/she's huge gossiper or i dont want them to know anything about me bc i dislike them so it's very awkward to avoid answers or to decide what to tell.

:(

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Awkward is when i meet an old friend and we used to talk about everything and now none of us seem to speak a single word.

Chloe

Awkward is when i meet an old friend and we used to talk about everything and now none of us seem to speak a single word.

yeah. especially when you meet EX friend and you just hate him/her :cheese:

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
yeah. especially when you meet EX friend and you just hate him/her :cheese:

Exactly! You feel obligated to say something, however, you really just want to keep walking...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
when people keep asking you if you're dating and/or in love with someone in a public chat room that's pretty socially awkward

Chloe

Exactly! You feel obligated to say something, however, you really just want to keep walking...

I have a line for one of my exbestfriends :D

it's like this
"hi, weeelll, i know we should talk now how are you and how am i, but i really really really cant do it. sorry. i think it's best if we dont talk at all, you know it'd be only pretending. ":D:D:D

just waiting to meet her. :D:doh:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
People are incredibly interesting, watch them. If you are watching them, you forget that people might be watching you :laugh:

Actually, I do this kind of thing all the time. If you're the one examining and evaluating people, then your attention gets taken off of the fact that they might be examining and evaluating you. It gives you a feeling of control.