User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I rarely feel awkward in social situations... it doesn't ever occur to me that I SHOULD feel awkward in social situations... though I do remember one time that had me feel WAY wrong

I wandered into my old house in college (there were 5 of us living there and even more people who were constantly hanging out there) and everyone was sitting around looking morose... I wandered in cheerfully after kicking someone's ass in a good game of raquetball and said "wow, you're all sitting around like someone just died!" and then laughed... it turns out that one of my roommate's dads just died... yeah... that was awkward
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ oh god that's the worst.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I've learned that there's almost no awkward social situation, or any situation come to think of it, that can't be solved by just recklessly speaking whatever's on your mind, with the footnote "laced with tact where appropriate".

If you can't think what to say, then say that. "I can't think what to say - gosh, isn't this awkward!?" it's disarming, it encourages others to relax and open up as well. "I'm just nervous, I'm shy in situations like these!" and people say "Me too!" and you've broken the ice.

But I'm with ThatGirl in that you really could've made more effort. Perhaps if you'd been more open minded about the people around you, maybe you would have troubled yourself to find out something about them, that might have MADE you interested.

How incredibly snooty though, to decide before you even go somewhere that you're not interested in any of the people and don't care about anything to do with them. No wonder you don't enjoy the encounter. I doubt they enjoyed you much, either.

My worst experience though, that probably was almost incurably awkward, was when I met up with a friend in town and I said, quoting a line from a comedy sketch show we were both fans of, "I saw your mom the other day, coming out of the VD clinic!" and he replied, po-faced, "That'd be difficult. She died yesterday morning." I was like, AGGGGHHHH!!! But again, my "speak your mind" philosophy saved me. I just said "OMG Really? I'm so sorry! God, you must think I'm such an idiot, you know I was only joking right, I didn't know your mom was... OMG I'm sorry dude, that's awful..." *hug*

Unless you're some inherent total asshole, speaking your honest thoughts can't lead you far wrong.
    Last edited by proximo; 07-05-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    But I'm with ThatGirl in that you really could've made more effort. Perhaps if you'd been more open minded about the people around you, maybe you would have troubled yourself to find out something about them, that might have MADE you interested.

How incredibly snooty though, to decide before you even go somewhere that you're not interested in any of the people and don't care about anything to do with them. No wonder you don't enjoy the encounter. I doubt they enjoyed you much, either.
    Well, the OP didn't say that he'd decided the people would be uninteresting. It sounded like he expected the conversation to be uninteresting.

I usually feel the same way around strangers. I'm terrible at making conversation, thinking of things to say and introducing topics and asking interesting questions. So I expect to be bored when I go into situations like the one described. Not because I'm being judgmental about the people themselves, but because even if they are interesting people I expect to be crappy at talking to them and drawing them out beyond the usual banal stuff about jobs, weather, etc. So I don't expect the conversation to be engaging for either of us.

And yeah, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It does sound like MM went in expecting it to suck and figured there was no point in trying. That's easy to do if small talk has always felt forced and stilted and unnatural to you.

All Natural! All Good!

Small talk is very unnatural to me, too, and this leads to pretty much every social encounter being awkward to some degree. There is something "off" about me, and other people have told me this as well. In public, I just look strange and give off a strange "vibe" (friend's POV).

One routinely strange moment is when someone asks me how was yesterday, a few days back, etc. And they ask because they actually remembered that I had been doing something important that day, but I don't remember myself, haha. So I give a generic answer like "oh, it was good" because my memory really sucks :P.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Walking into my room finding a high school sleepover.

I had an awkward time on my camping trip this weekend. I didnt sleep at all Friday night....and the next day we got on the road at 8am for a road trip. I got there in a pissy mood. I got 5 minutes of sleep the night before, I found out my friends were talking shit about me, Im hung over, plus I didnt want want to camping in the first place. Everyone kept calling me out...whats wrong, bla bla bla. Leave me the fuck alone! I just wanted to be a hermit....or hide somewhere. I was not myself for sure. Anyway we went for a hike almost died....ended up rock climbing up a freakin canyon ridge (on accident) 800 feet up. Fucking crazy shit....it scared the moody awkwardness out of me lol.

Epiphany

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Well, the OP didn't say that he'd decided the people would be uninteresting. It sounded like he expected the conversation to be uninteresting.

I usually feel the same way around strangers. I'm terrible at making conversation, thinking of things to say and introducing topics and asking interesting questions. So I expect to be bored when I go into situations like the one described. Not because I'm being judgmental about the people themselves, but because even if they are interesting people I expect to be crappy at talking to them and drawing them out beyond the usual banal stuff about jobs, weather, etc. So I don't expect the conversation to be engaging for either of us.

And yeah, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It does sound like MM went in expecting it to suck and figured there was no point in trying. That's easy to do if small talk has always felt forced and stilted and unnatural to you.
    Precisely. The things I enjoy talking about the most: philosophy/psychology/religion rarely interest most of my acquaintances. These topics can become a bit heated, depending on the individuals, so it's not something that I would bring up with random people I am meeting for the first time. It's almost expected that any conversations are going to be shallow and boring. I was friendly to people. I smiled, shook their hand, and said, "It's nice to meet you." Other than that, I didn't feel like prying into their lives and asking questions about their employment, nor did I want to discuss mine. It's the kind of situation that I would rather avoid if possible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4~9

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    I have a line for one of my exbestfriends

it's like this
    "hi, weeelll, i know we should talk now how are you and how am i, but i really really really cant do it. sorry. i think it's best if we dont talk at all, you know it'd be only pretending. "

just waiting to meet her.
    Haha ! (: I really like it..
    Maybe i'll steal this next time I meet someone i do not want to waste my time on
    "...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
    Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
    "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland"
    "Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting"

- The City Of Bones

Here is my blog where I post my thoughts and feelings. Please have a go and comment if you like.

Banned