User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Smile

Why? Because pride cometh before a fall and hubris is always followed by nemesis.

But just listen to them, listen to them laugh, and you will find it is gallows humour.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

To quote Machiavelli on whether it is better to be feared than to be loved

"The answer is that one would like to be both the one and the other; but because it is difficult to combine them, it is far safer to be feared than loved if you cannot be both."

Machiavelli does make a distinction between being feared and being hated, but to many that difference is lost. And the media doesn't help really. Just watch any reality series and who are the ones that get the most camera time?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    GONE

I think the Ennegram could help a lot with this. Some people base their identity on "I am powerful." So if you criticize them or you basically challenge them, if you can't hold your own, you are just another 'loser' in their eyes. The more people criticize them, the happier they are because they see more and more 'losers' who are just grumbling about sour grapes. More critics = more power. Or more critics = attention. No such thing as bad attention, look at people like Howard Stern or Tom Green (who has faded into obscurity post Drew Barrymore).

The worst thing for these people would be to either be ignored or worse, mocked by others and seen as an easy target. Some people are also scared and vigilant, better to strike first and be seen as fearsome than to live in open fear of others.

Look at Howard Stern, he is fugly and awkward and looks like a very easy target for ridicule himself as he has always been fugly and awkward but he found a shtick that works (exploit others) so he's gonna stick to it.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I dunno if mocking would help, since it would still give them validation about their ego ("They're just jealous.") I had a (former) friend with narcissistic personality disorder and my therapist basically ordered me to sever all contact with him. To say he freaked out about that is an understatement. It's been a couple years since I talked to him and even now I still get this pleading rambly emails from him every now and then.

It could be some kind of primal competitive nature gone wrong or something. I enjoy a good argument and I take pride in what I am actually good at but I've never understood people who have like being known as king douche of the universe.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP

Because confidence facilitates the passing on of genes.

Too much confidence though is kind of like "Ringo" in Pulp Fiction. Real confidence is a bit more like Jules, who just wants to eat his pancakes.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Because confidence facilitates the passing on of genes.
    Is that really confidence though? The most confident person I know is far being an asshole.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I'd rather think it's because they aren't confident. It gives them a sense of superiority.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    I'd rather think it's because they aren't confident. It gives them a sense of superiority.
    This. Most assholes and narcissists I've met have severe problems with self-esteem.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Is that really confidence though? The most confident person I know is far being an asshole.
    I agree with you on the whole cockiness is not confidence thing, so I will rephrase: projecting the image of confidence facilitates the passing on of genes.