User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I think some people have the idea that you can either be an asshole or be a pathetic wimp. Either you are inconsiderate and refuse to concern yourself with what others think, or you let others walk all over you. And they take pride in being "assholes", because it means they are not spineless doormats.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I think some people have the idea that you can either be an asshole or be a pathetic wimp. Either you are inconsiderate and refuse to concern yourself with what others think, or you let others walk all over you. And they take pride in being "assholes", because it means they are not spineless doormats.
    Makes sense but for people who do that, that seems a bit extreme. Can't there be a happy medium? lol

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    That sounds plausible. Just hypothetically, what if no one wants to be around the said person because of it though? Is it just his problem or is it everyone else's problem?
    It will depend on the case. It can be both both his and other people's problem. It's always a bit of both I'd say.

But no one forces anyone to be around another person. At least no one forces one to speak with another person unless they are your boss or something.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Makes sense but for people who do that, that seems a bit extreme. Can't there be a happy medium? lol
    Yeah, there is, but some people have a hard time seeing that. Some people are either so repulsed by the idea of themselves as weak-willed, etc., that they make a point of doing the opposite, or they take delight in the feelings of power and freedom they get from being inconsiderate pricks.

You're serious, aren't you?

For some, it's not about pride, but about not being willing to put up with someone else's idiotic judgmental BS.

Here's a good shining example of that posted on this forum lately (posts 15-20)
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...uations-2.html. The guy gets his answer and he admittedly refuses it and goes back to square one of his argument. That's enough to turn that 'depressed friend' into an asshole that enjoys being one. It's empowering to shut the dumb-asses up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Yeah, there is, but some people have a hard time seeing that. Some people are either so repulsed by the idea of themselves as weak-willed, etc., that they make a point of doing the opposite, or they take delight in the feelings of power and freedom they get from being inconsiderate pricks.
    I've always seen it this way as well and I also agree with your other post in this thread. I think for them being a [negative expletive] serves as some kind of positive reinforcement and they constantly feel the need to play out the negative stereotype because for them, it leads to a sense of self-empowerment. Usually these people tend to go against pleasant societal conduct because being nice is for wussies :P. For some of them, rubbing polite social conventions the wrong way is pleasurable because the 'risk' they're taking by being a'holes is followed by a sense of 'achievement.'

I'm sure there's a myriad of other reasons though but I don't personally have a problem with it until they overstep the line by bullying defenseless little children. That's when I bust out my laser.
    The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. --A. Rand

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post

You're serious, aren't you?

For some, it's not about pride, but about not being willing to put up with someone else's idiotic judgmental BS.

Here's a good shining example of that posted on this forum lately (posts 15-20)
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...uations-2.html. The guy gets his answer and he admittedly refuses it and goes back to square one of his argument. That's enough to turn that 'depressed friend' into an asshole that enjoys being one. It's empowering to shut the dumb-asses up.
    haha kinda serious, kinda joking. I swear, I am not deluded about the goodness of humanity, (idealism). I definitely see your point and I agree w/ Peguy and OA in that argument.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Grin View Post
    I've always seen it this way as well and I also agree with your other post in this thread. I think for them being a [negative expletive] serves as some kind of positive reinforcement and they constantly feel the need to play out the negative stereotype because for them, it leads to a sense of self-empowerment. Usually these people tend to go against pleasant societal conduct because being nice is for wussies :P. For some of them, rubbing polite social conventions the wrong way is pleasurable because the 'risk' they're taking by being a'holes is followed by a sense of 'achievement.'

I'm sure there's a myriad of other reasons though but I don't personally have a problem with it until they overstep the line by bullying defenseless little children. That's when I bust out my laser.
    yeah, I can take it up to point where people slander others and purposefully make pointless drama for others to deal with.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

It makes people feel specialz and differentz.
    I spellz bad cuz i r unique

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Out of all people, I chose to look up Dustin Diamond. This is just out of pure curiosity. For example saying things like "I know I'm a dick... deal with it." What's the purpose of going out of your way to be one?
    Depends on the person but I think saying that "Im a dick... deal with it" is what makes him get the attention.

For me most people that are overly dickish and argumentative are just attention whores. So for those that are overly prudish. It gets to be something they are going to be famous for and therefore can get attention based on. My sister was like that as a kid, Im the opposite, not entirely but most of the time I am. And I find it silly to want to be something of negative connotation.