User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Types of Denial

Default Types of Denial

Prompted by Toonia's comment in another thread, I looked up types of denial.

This is from Denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Types of Denial
    Denial of fact: This form of denial is where someone avoids a fact by lying. This lying can take the form of an outright falsehood (commission), leaving out certain details in order to tailor a story (omission), or by falsely agreeing to something (assent, also referred to as "yesing" behavior). Someone who is in denial of fact is typically using lies in order to avoid facts that they think may be potentially painful to themselves or others.

Denial of responsibility: This form of denial involves avoiding personal responsibility by blaming, minimizing or justifying. Blaming is a direct statement shifting culpability and may overlap with denial of fact. Minimizing is an attempt to make the effects or results of an action appear to be less harmful than they may actually be. Justifying is when someone takes a choice and attempts to make that choice look okay due to their perception of what is "right" in a situation. Someone using denial of responsibility is usually attempting to avoid potential harm or pain by shifting attention away from themselves.

Denial of impact: Denial of impact involves a person avoiding thinking about or understanding the harms their behavior have caused to themselves or others. By doing this, that person is able to avoid feeling a sense of guilt and it can prevent that person from developing remorse or empathy for others. Denial of impact reduces or eliminates a sense of pain or harm from poor decisions.

Denial of awareness: This type of denial is best discussed by looking at the concept of state dependent learning[1]. People using this type of denial will avoid pain and harm by stating they were in a different state of awareness (such as alcohol or drug intoxication or on occasion mental health related). This type of denial often overlaps with denial of responsibility.

Denial of cycle: Many who use this type of denial will say things such as, "it just happened." Denial of cycle is where a person avoids looking at their decisions leading up to an event or does not consider their pattern of decision making and how harmful behavior is repeated. The pain and harm being avoided by this type of denial is more of the effort needed to change the focus from a singular event to looking at preceding events. It can also serve as a way to blame or justify behavior (see above).

Denial of denial: This can be a difficult concept for many people to identify in themselves, but is a major barrier to changing hurtful behaviors. Denial of denial involves thoughts, actions and behaviors which bolster confidence that nothing needs to be changed in one's personal behavior. This form of denial typically overlaps with all of the other forms of denial, but involves more self-delusion.
    I think I am most prone to denial of awareness and cycle, and least prone to denial of fact.

What about you guys?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    OMNi

I gotta learn how to do the denial of impact.

I would say I'm pretty good at denial of cycle and a 9th degree master of denial of responsibility.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I seem most prone to denial of fact, and occasionally denial of responsibility. I don't think I have denial of impact or cycle very often, and I rarely if ever have denial of awareness, although I admit I have occasionally complained that I acted in a certain way due to being stressed out... but I believe that to be the case when I say it, and I still feel guilty about and try to make up for it. So can behavior be influenced enough by stress that occasionally that can be part of why you behaved a certain way?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Prompted by Toonia's comment in another thread, I looked up types of denial.

This is from Denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I am most prone to denial of awareness and cycle, and least prone to denial of fact.

What about you guys?
    After 30 years of research, Eysenck added the L scale.
    L for Lie.

Is there a correlation with the L scale and the type?
    Yes.

What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I seem most prone to denial of fact, and occasionally denial of responsibility. I don't think I have denial of impact or cycle very often, and I rarely if ever have denial of awareness, although I admit I have occasionally complained that I acted in a certain way due to being stressed out... but I believe that to be the case when I say it, and I still feel guilty about and try to make up for it. So can behavior be influenced enough by stress that occasionally that can be part of why you behaved a certain way?
    I ususally believe that I was stressed out causing me to act out in a certain way. But does that really mean I wasn't aware or in control of what I was doing? Not sure.

I am still certainly responsible for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    After 30 years of research, Eysenck added the L scale.
    L for Lie.

Is there a correlation with the L scale and the type?
    Yes.

What is it?
    That is an interesting trick, I wonder if the latest MBTI would incorporate a Lie scale.

As for correlation with Lieing and type, I think those who believe they have the most to hide (from themselves ad others) will be most likely to lie.

On the Eysenck test, I think that would correspond to high Neuroticsm and Psychoticsm.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Denial of responsibility is a big problem of mine. :redface:
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That is an interesting trick, I wonder if the latest MBTI would incorporate a Lie scale.

As for correlation with Lieing and type, I think those who believe they have the most to hide (from themselves ad others) will be most likely to lie.

On the Eysenck test, I think that would correspond to high Neuroticsm and Psychoticsm.
    What is a "Lie" scale, and how would that work? I keep hearing about it, but I couldn't guess what it was.

MBTI
    INTP

I ususally believe that I was stressed out causing me to act out in a certain way. But does that really mean I wasn't aware or in control of what I was doing? Not sure.

I am still certainly responsible for it.

A lie is an opposite of an aberration.
    The L scale does not correspond to neuroticism and psychoticism.
    The exact reverse is true.

Neuroticism corresponds to Fi and Psychoticism to Ne.

The L scale corresponds to Si Te or Te Si.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The L scale corresponds to Si Te or Te Si.
    xSTJ's lie most? Why do they have more to hide from themselves/others?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    What is a "Lie" scale, and how would that work? I keep hearing about it, but I couldn't guess what it was.
    There was a police chief in Oklahoma who let a serial killer go free.

Later he said:
    I liked him. He was open, straight forward and indeed honest.

What is the nature of deception?