• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverts..how much alone time do you need?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, everyone needs to be more social, I think. It's the primate way.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't need alone time as much as I need a lot of space, am content on my own and have a strong desire for privacy. How much space and time depends subjectively on what's going on and who I'm around, my preference for fun time is to be around other people but I can achieve as much space as I want at the same time by being around strangers rather than interacting with people I know.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Is a week the limit or could you go more?

I think I've been max 10 days, I did feel better when I got to speak with somebody, but I wasn't feeling particularly lonely (well, maybe I was just unaware of my loneliness)

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I get really anxious and bored without human contact (even the Internet doesn't help with this) and that tends to send me into a depressive episode, so I prefer at least some human contact.

On the other hand, I sometimes get an overwhelming claustrophobia around people also and I either shut down or try to get out of the situation.

Can't win either way it seems.

S

sammy

It depends on what I've been up to that day or week or month. On average, I need at least a ratio of 1:5 hours out of the day for alone time. This does not include significant others. I do not require much time apart from him :tongue: but it's nice to do your own thing while still near one another. I guess I would then have to define "alone time" as being entirely alone (so, no communication through online mediums or texting) and sans SO being a factor.

If I am being forced to socialize, I require a ratio of about 4:5 hours out of the day alone directly after the event. I get burned out by forced interaction. Something that isn't forced and is minimal contact with others would require recharge time of 2:5 hours just to make sure I'm eating and sleeping properly still. I can easily go too many days in "Party Mode" and not eat/sleep properly as a result. I can perform optimally no matter what mode, but it's going to cost me later.

I've gone through periods of time where I will self-isolate for months from friends and even family. This happens more rarely as I get older, but it was pretty common for most of my life.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A few hours every day or I get batty. I use alone time more as a reprieve from thinking than as a place for thinking about things, though. I do a lot of my thinking while interacting with other people.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends on what I've been up to that day or week or month. On average, I need at least a ratio of 1:5 hours out of the day for alone time. This does not include significant others. I do not require much time apart from him :tongue: but it's nice to do your own thing while still near one another. I guess I would then have to define "alone time" as being entirely alone (so, no communication through online mediums or texting) and sans SO being a factor.

If I am being forced to socialize, I require a ratio of about 4:5 hours out of the day alone directly after the event. I get burned out by forced interaction. Something that isn't forced and is minimal contact with others would require recharge time of 2:5 hours just to make sure I'm eating and sleeping properly still. I can easily go too many days in "Party Mode" and not eat/sleep properly as a result. I can perform optimally no matter what mode, but it's going to cost me later.

I've gone through periods of time where I will self-isolate for months from friends and even family. This happens more rarely as I get older, but it was pretty common for most of my life.

What about at work? That's forced interaction. (Unless you work solo)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need lots of alone time, i really enjoy time to think, plan, enjoy my own space.
I love to read alone and potter around the house.

S

sammy

What about at work? That's forced interaction. (Unless you work solo)

Yeah, I guess work is included in that category for "forced interaction," but that also depends on how much energy I need to put into socializing at work. If my co-workers or boss are not complete idiots, and are enjoyable people to work with, I won't require much recharge time at all when the end of the day approaches.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few hours every day or I get batty. I use alone time more as a reprieve from thinking than as a place for thinking about things, though. I do a lot of my thinking while interacting with other people.

Hmm. I use alone time as a reprieve to think about things or introspect. I do little to no thinking while interacting with other people. I basically can't think while I'm socializing or it won't go well. I just do it and it turns out better. I need the alone time to reflect on everything that happened and refocus.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i need my space. it doesn't have to be
in an empty room though. i'm used to
the hustle and bustle. i usually go shopping
for my 'space' time. space out and charge.

Evguenia

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I prefer spending time with people over alone time any day. However, I do become consumed with personal activities, like reading, which keep me engaged for hours. I tend to start feeling sick and depressed when I'm alone for too long, though. So technically, I don't really need alone time, but I purposefully spend some time alone so that I can at least do something for myself.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I often hear extroverts say that they need alone time but I wonder just how much do you need?
I don't find that I need alone time at all. Sometimes I just want alone time, because I'm feeling really down, but usually that feeling dissipates once I'm actually with people.