User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

What I don't understand is that introverts need times alone too. Where is the difference between the introvert's need for alone time and the extrovert's need for alone time?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    What I don't understand is that introverts need times alone too. Where is the difference between the introvert's need for alone time and the extrovert's need for alone time?
    Exactly. This is part of the reason why I asked... to try to clarify that in my mind however I'm not becoming clearer on it but I am finding the answers fascinating for other reasons. Easily distracted.

I have had times where I have thought that the whole introvert/extrovert thing might in fact be bogus and doesn't really exist but I have since refined my thinking on that and now think that it's most likely like a bell curve graph where the bulk of people probably fall close to the same place on the introvert/extrovert graph or scale but the extreme cases are actually where we get our definitions of introversion and extroversion. They stand out the most.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

In MBTI, the I/E dichotomy is often seen as the most superficial, because your introvert/extrovert conterpart share the same functions with you. But actually, every dichotomy are superficial. MBTI can't stuck you in a box, it's an indicator first and last. By the way, I've changed my mind about my MBTI type.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTP

The other problem is that there is a misunderstanding about extraversion / introversion. Introverts aren't asocial anymore than extraverts are social necessarily. Introversion simply means that you are more interested in your subjective experience of life and reality than you are about what's going on outside yourself, as I understand it.

In the following pages I shall attempt a general description of the types, and my first concern must be with the two general types I have termed introverted and extraverted. But, in addition, I shall also try to give a certain characterization of those special types whose particularity is due to the fact that his most differentiated function plays the principal role in an individual's adaptation or orientation to life. The former I would term general attitude types, since they are distinguished by the direction of general interest or libido movement, while the latter I would call function-types.

The general-attitude types, as I have pointed out more than once, are differentiated by their particular attitude to the object. The introvert's attitude to the object is an abstracting one; at bottom, he is always facing the problem of how libido can be withdrawn from the object, as though an attempted ascendancy on. the part of the object had to be continually frustrated. The extravert, on the contrary, maintains a positive relation to the object. To such an extent does he affirm its importance that his subjective attitude is continually being orientated by, and related to the object. An fond, the object can never have sufficient value; for him, therefore, its importance must always be paramount.

The two types are so essentially different, presenting so striking a contrast, that their existence, even to the [p. 413] uninitiated in psychological matters becomes an obvious fact, when once attention has been drawn to it. Who does not know those taciturn, impenetrable, often shy natures, who form such a vivid contrast to these other open, sociable, serene maybe, or at least friendly and accessible characters, who are on good terms with all the world, or, even when disagreeing with it, still hold a relation to it by which they and it are mutually affected.
    From: Classics in the History of Psychology -- Jung (1921/1923) Chapter 10
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Introvert = relation of object to subject. "Reality" is processed through the subject.
    Extravert = relation of subject to object. The "subject", the individual consciousness, orients itself to external reality.

For the introvert, internal reality has more resonance.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    By the way, I've changed my mind about my MBTI type.
    Really? Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Introvert = relation of object to subject. "Reality" is processed through the subject.
    Extravert = relation of subject to object. The "subject", the individual consciousness, orients itself to external reality.

For the introvert, internal reality has more resonance.
    I feel on the border of both introvert and extrovert. Confusing.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Not a problem.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Me, too. Very much on the border. Can't seem to get through customs on either side...
    oh wait! I don't need to get through customs, once I've succeeded in dominating the world!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post

I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

A lot. It's hard to be social all the time.
    ENFP 6w7 sp/sx

I'm pretty split between introversion and extroversion, too. (Most people here believe I'm an extrovert, and I did as well for a long time.) I spend almost all of my time alone after work. I see other people in a social setting about once or twice a month for a few hours, and even then, it's in small numbers. How do I know if I need to be alone or if I need to be others? I don't seem to have an indicator anywhere... Being alone has become the norm for me now, but for all I know, it's bad for me.

I tend to think that whether I'm alone or with others is irrelevant. Whether I end up alone or socializing has more to do with my thoughts, motives, and feelings at any given moment. Socializing will either help me or hinder depending on what I've got going on in my mind. Sometimes it's a distraction, sometimes it's a pursuit.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson