User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Thread: ADHD is BS...

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post

Yeah... I dunno, it makes no sense. Hyperfocus is like the opposite of ad/hd... I don't see how people could mix those up. One is the inability to focus due to changing topics so readily and easily, the other is being so focused yeu can't change topics even if yeu want to/should. Why would anyone confuse these two? XD
    Hyperfocus can be achieved by those with ADD/ADHD when it is something of intense interest to those people, then the ADHD focusses to the exclusion of all else - sort of a mental OCD. I observe it in my students who have been diagnosed but not medicated (by parental choice if under 18 or personal choice if over 18). The trick is engaging them in a way that will encourage this which traditional linear education does not have the time (or in some cases the inclination if the teachers view these people as damaged) to do with ever increasing class sizes!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post
    Maybe you should walk around for a few months with random images and sounds flashing around you 24/7 and see how well you cope, let alone function.
    I have foolish heart - for 55 years!! ...and in the absence of such diagnoses for ADHD being a common label, I was much older than many of you are now before it even occurred to me that it was meant to be a disability, I have been fortunate enough to not see it as a disability.

Instead I have successfully (in the way that I consider something a success rather than being rich in monetary terms although I am comfortable) followed my own path or, as Keirsey and others put it, the beat of a different drummer.

I have frequently felt myself an observer looking in for a large portion of my life - but the trade off has been talents and skills that the general mainstream of population don't have. This has allowed me to make a difference in what I do - my only request of G*d/the Universe when a child.

This has sometimes been a lonely path, even when surrounded by others, not having those of like mind and belief readily available to talk to, but as someone who enjoys solitude that is not as much of an issue for me.

Some of my greatest joys are learning something new of MY own choice rather than being governed by the choices of establishment education systems, meeting a new mindful person, exchanging ideas and learning from them, and communing with the few mindmates I have who share my vision, philosophies and open mindedness.

My love of family stands outside of this but are nevertheless affected and affecting.

What comes to mind here are the words of Desiderata:

Desiderata
    Written by Max Ehrmann in 1927
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, And remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly & clearly; and listen to others, even the dull & ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing future of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity & disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue & loneliness. Beyond wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
    Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post
    Maybe you should walk around for a few months with random images and sounds flashing around you 24/7 and see how well you cope, let alone function.
    I have foolish heart - for 55 years!! ...and in the absence of such diagnoses for ADHD being a common label, I was much older than many of you are now before it even occurred to me that it was meant to be a disability, I have been fortunate enough to not see it as a disability.

Instead I have successfully (in the way that I consider something a success rather than being rich in monetary terms although I am comfortable) followed my own path or, as Keirsey and others put it, the beat of a different drummer.

I have frequently felt myself an observer looking in for a large portion of my life - but the trade off has been talents and skills that the general mainstream of population don't have. This has allowed me to make a difference in what I do - my only request of G*d/the Universe when a child.

This has sometimes been a lonely path, even when surrounded by others, not having those of like mind and belief readily available to talk to, but as someone who enjoys solitude that is not as much of an issue for me.

Some of my greatest joys are learning something new of MY own choice rather than being governed by the choices of establishment education systems, meeting a new mindful person, exchanging ideas and learning from them, and communing with the few mindmates I have who share my vision, philosophies and open mindedness.

My love of family stands outside of this but are nevertheless affected and affecting.

What comes to mind here are the words of Desiderata:

Desiderata
    Written by Max Ehrmann in 1927

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, And remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth
    quietly & clearly; and listen to others, even the dull & ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself
    with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser
    persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing
    future of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let
    this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere
    life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity
    & disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully

surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue & loneliness.
    Beyond wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
    Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours
    & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to
    be happy.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

My boyfriend was diagnosed with "ADHD" as a child, his family forced him to take the meds. He says kids who took those meds at a young age are more likely to abuse drugs in the future. He now self medicates... He is bitter about the whole thing. There have been studies about this no? Is this true?
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTP

^ Yeah, I was about to say. I have had a self-medication problem in the past with alcohol, marijuana, and hallucinogens because it does help the thoughts to slow down to a manageable pace. Actually the drug I've used the most is caffiene and I still haven't broken that habit. I feel like I need it to relax.

Although I know it's easier to understand these things as a sliding scale of symptoms that really does not make sense to me. The problem exists or it doesnt, the severity of the symptoms is irrelevant. The way that legitimate AD/HD people respond to stimulant medication supports this. (as far as professional diagnosis, I understand it will be a while before we have the technology to look at the root of the problem... I can't help but always look to the future, though!) People don't understand this, so the rarely differentiate between people who are actually suffering from a disorder and people who display similar symptoms. Those who were medicated without the disorder would be more likely to abuse drugs later on in life because they are continuing a pattern of drug abuse. Those with the disorder who are not medicated begin drug abuse to alleviate a problem, which is a point those with the disorder who are properly medicated would never reach.

I understand people like to abuse AD/HD medication because it makes them more productive, but it needs to be understood that this is entirely different than someone who is suddenly able to lead a normal, productive life because of a real problem that has been alleviated. You may think it's a harmless practice, but the damage of this pattern of behavior extends to those who do have a real problem who suddenly face skepticism... we would be perfectly happy to just lead a normal life with normal challenges like writing college papers, but that is just a little harder to reach because some lazy ass college student wants to take a shortcut.

I never expected myself to become a substance abuser. When I was young I was a model student. But as I've gotten older and life has skyrocketed into complex circumstances I didn't even know why but I felt like it was my only option for relief. That is very frustrating, because I've always been great at overcoming anything and more and more I couldn't even function normally without a crutch while my peers showed no signs of stress. I'm relieved to know it's something I won't even feel the desire for (even though I am good at avoiding self medication now) with proper treatment.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I had a terrible time in school for years. Got pretty bad grades for not turning stuff in, etc. Did great on tests, though. I lose stuff all the time. I forget to pay bills and the water/internet, etc get turned off even though I have the money in the bank. I didn't have a checking account for years because of having an account closed due to overdrafts that I couldn't afford to pay off. I have to set all kinds of alarms on my cell to make sure I get the kids to the school bus stop on time and am on time to pick them up. Can't remember to return videos, so have paid God only knows how much in late fees. Can't use the public library because I owe them over $300 for books and cassettes I forgot to return, then lost. I make the kids set their clothes for school out the night before, that way, if they don't have clean clothes, I will have time to wash something for them. Always forgetting what I walked to the next room for.

I'm really not stupid, but I feel like I was born senile.

I've learned to try to set things up the best way I can to keep from doing stupid stuff. It isn't perfect, but I more or less get by.
    I could have written that too, right down to the big library fees! lol. either from nature or nurture - my mom is very much the same and also to a much lesser extent, my siblings.

Sometimes I get really mad at myself for not being able to do normal things like pay things on time and remembering things that have to be done. I feel like people think I'm retarded a lot of the time, especially at work. Most people don't understand that I'm not doing it on purpose, or because I don't care.

I've never thought about adhd though. I was always quiet in school (tried to be invisible) and I can sit still for a little while, as long as I can fidget. I do have a really hard time concentrating on anything, I'm extremely distractable, but I think that might just be laziness and boredom. I've thought about "highly sensitive" since some of that applies too (very very easily distracted by noise or changes in environment), but I'm really more interested in fixing my problems than labelling them. Does anything work other than writing everything down? (and getting into the habit of checking it too ). And timers (preferably with a legend).

edit: I relate to misty mountain rose's post, too.

Anyway, Ill back out of the thread, I don't really know anything about adhd.
    -end of thread-

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Oh, somehow I missed this when I read the thread before. I admit I'm a highly wary about self-diagnosis in psychology, but this is pretty eery.

It pretty much describes my biggest problems in life. Maybe everyone's though, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post

(1) inattention: six (or more) of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:

(a) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities - I was really bad for this in math class. Learning to get better with double and triple-checking work, but it's so hard to push myself to look at it again
    (b) often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities - yes for most, but some activities I can concentrate - really only sports and computer games that demand attention. very occasionally I do get "in the zone" for a task and it's awesome! too bad it's rare and I'm not able to turn it on at will.
    (c) often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly - lol, I get complaints about this all the time, although I do sometimes hear what people are saying. I'm usually thinking about something
    (d) often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish school work, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions) -sigh. I have gotten better at this with a lot of effort after realizing how important it is, but it;s tough
    (e) often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities - yeah, I like to organize but don't do it very well and never manage to stick to the plan
    (f) often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework) - well obviously, but I suspect this is everyone. I am an epic procrastinator though
    (g) often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools) - I'm more surprised when I don't lose the necessary things, that is rare indeed!
    (h) is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli - all the time
    (i) is often forgetful in daily activities -ugh I'm the youngest senile person alive

Hyperactivity
    (a) often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat - this is the only one that applies
    (b) often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
    (c) often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
    (d) often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
    (e) is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
    (f) often talks excessively

Impulsivity - none
    (g) often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
    (h) often has difficulty awaiting turn
    (i) often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)

B. Some hyperactive-impulsive or inattentive symptoms that caused impairment were present before age 7 years. only as long as I remember, or at least since starting school, since my playtime was never structured

C. Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g., at school [or work] and at home). Unfortunately.

D. There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning. This one maybe not. I'm reasonably functional, I just get teased a lot and stress a lot and have to fix the messes I make. And I'm sure I would be more successful if I wasn't a space-case. I'm absolutely sure that I'm more spacey than most people, regardless of how well (or not ) I may function.

E. The symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorders, or a Personality Disorder). n/a

It really annoys me that even though my functionality has gotten a LOT better as I've grown up, I still have to deal with the same problems daily. It's like I've figured out workarounds but never addressed the root problem. And I still "miss" important things no matter how hard I try to write things down, etc.

This is really interesting though. I probably won't bother following up on the medical side since they'd probably tell me to go to hell since I'm (relatively) academically functional. But it's interesting that I never thoguht about it. I always thought hyperactivity was the main diagnostic thing.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I dont care what anyone says, I think it's utter bullshit.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    I dont care what anyone says, I think it's utter bullshit.
    Good for you; now you don't have to bother yourself discussing it.