User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Visual thinking (different from visual learning)

I think in pictures. In fact, I notice that it takes a lot of cognitive resources to think in terms of language. I started talking very late, but learned to read very quickly. Even to this day, I generally don't sound out words in my head when I'm reading them, instead processing the information visually.

The upside is that I process info pretty quickly. When I'm asked a question, I start seeing pictures in my head, and can make connections and come to conclusions based upon these images (helps a lot in trivia contests). Likewise, it helps with my sense of direction, because I keep a mental map in my head.

The downside is that it's going to take me several stabs at doing something if you give me text without accompanying photos, or instruct via speech. I'll often respond to these commands to the effect of "I don't know what that's supposed to look like", even when it's been demonstrated. The difference is that, of course, I know what it looks like objectively, but have no clue how it looks subjectively. This can be very frustrating.

Anyone else like this?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I used to study history by writing the dates inside flower-petals or on other pictures. When I wasn't connecting things with music, which is how I mostly remember things. But that's remembering, so it's different. I usually think in visual cues as well (I believe most people do) and it's rather difficult to remember things that weren't demonstrated.

However, when I'm studying vocabulary or grammar, I make up rhymes and tunes. Music is a huge part of my life, and I've never met anyone who remembered things in terms of music. When I can't visualise where I was at a particular moment, I tend to remember what kind of music was playing, the sounds in the background, things like that.

I don't know if I'm making any sense with this. It's late and my thoughts are kinda jumbled now. I'll post a more comprehensive answer in the morning.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I used to have the odd tendancy to always remember things I'd read by picturing the page that they appeared on... I got so good at it that I could write a paper and cite exact sources... without the book there

I think best in a sensory manner though... mostly touch related and motion related
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I think and organize information visually. I don't have the same problem you are mentioning with written words though. This might be a result of how my "images" are abstract without much in terms of actual sensory information. Colors are all but non-existent is the first example that comes to mind.
    Motion is one of the more important parts of my thinking.

I relate with the ability to follow maps. I am able to imagine myself on the map and just going along on it and pretty much overlay the map onto the outside world, allowing me to quickly understand what I am seeing.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm pretty non-visual in thinking. I have lots of abstract ideas but they do not seem to be visual. I find it hard to think in pictures, i probably work better with drawing lines in my mind though, to make connections.
    I think you will find that most people are not picture thinkers. The funny thing is that most people who do think in pictures don't realise that the majority of people do not.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I am a natural visual thinker too. My Ti sees my mind create 3 dimensional maps in my head with solutions to problems and expected consequences for each of the solutions. My critical eye is very good from the perspective of both the big picture and the small picture. My very low Se is OCD about paintings being crooked on a wall or visually out of balance. My Si allows me to naturally and instinctively deal with colour harmonies and balance in design of publications of type and graphics.

I am naturally attuned to the balance of Phi whether in symmetry or asymmetry. I train my students in the critical eye by using spot-the-difference pics, a graded set of online jigsaws (jigzone.com is awesome) and exploration of Phi and its application in nature and art.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Anyone else like this?
    Very much so. I have to picture things before I can get my head around stuff. My visual thinking is so dominant I actually struggle to manage other forms of thought and communication. When people say, tells me a telephone number I need to know or how much something costs, I literally have to picture the number in my head in order to understand. The word means nothing until I can link it to the image of the number (eg. forty seven... - 47). And this is quite difficult for me to do - it takes more time than it should. Its like translating from foreign words into my first language.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I think in pictures a lot too! Mind maps, flow charts are a saver for me. I can't study without creating one, especially if I'm bored or the reading material is dry.

I think I'm more predominantly a visual thinker because I didn't learn to write until about the 3rd grade when I attended school on a regular basis. Until then, I mostly depicted whatever I felt through drawings, verbally in my parent's native language, or in English with friends, but even that was a mixture of various languages (at times, confusing).

With directions- I remember things visually. Even if places have changed, reconstructed or rebuilt, as long as I'm somewhere 'near' that place? I can visually re-construct my memories to find it again. Like my old apartment from when I was 2? I remember re-piecing all of my memories of that place, and actually found 'home' just by going off of those memories.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    With directions- I remember things visually. Even if places have changed, reconstructed or rebuilt, as long as I'm somewhere 'near' that place? I can visually re-construct my memories to find it again. Like my old apartment from when I was 2? I remember re-piecing all of my memories of that place, and actually found 'home' just by going off of those memories.
    This is interesting because I am always planning my journey in my head in a 3d map dependent on the time of the day and likely traffic conditions. Like you I can generally find my way back to locations which, by the published beliefs of the much vaunted pop psychologists and their adherents, I should not be able to do because I am a woman.

I have excellent map reading skills and finding my way to and from destinations I may have visited only once before is easy - I seem to have a built in compass.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    I think in pictures a lot too! Mind maps, flow charts are a saver for me. I can't study without creating one, especially if I'm bored or the reading material is dry.
    Yeah, I remember I when taking an exam and needing to remember a piece of information, I would picture the actual page it was written on and how it looked. Does anyone else do this?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte