User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default Critique of "Positive Thinking"

Worth watching.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo&feature=player_embedded#!"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo&feature=player_embedded#![/YOUTUBE]
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

that's an issue that I always find incredibly annoying... and to top it off I used to work in a sales office where we got slapped in the face with a "if you beleive it, it'll happen" ideal every fucking day

not to mention that the man is a total beleiver in it and tends to tell me that I should just think positively every time a job lead doesn't pan out

Fuck that... I've been pretty rediculously optimistic about the world and humanity since I could first SPEAK and am constantly disappointed and surprised because bad things keep happening... therefore I think that it's all bullshit that's just designed to make people feel better about the world and themselves
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Okay, I really tried to sit through the whole video, but couldn't. I heard about half and I can identify with her thought process as I have felt like that before. I don't believe in The Secret, Name it and Claim it, or that I can create a new reality for myself.

I don't think having a positive attitude will necessarily change the world around you (but it can sometimes). Having a positive attitude helps you see that in spite of the shit you can still be happy. Life can still be good. Really it's about recognizing the hope and potential in most situations.

I don't think telling someone to have a positive attitude is the answer. I can get a REALLY pessimistic view, hell I was suicidal once upon a time, but I have learned that my perception IS everything. Even if it's not reality how I see it is my reality. So if I can find it within myself to see the positive side then everything is different for ME, but I can't change it for anyone else.

I don't think a positive attitude stops bad things from happening, it just helps some of us deal with the bad things that do happen.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post

I don't think a positive attitude stops bad things from happening, it just helps some of us deal with the bad things that do happen.
    +1
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post
    Okay, I really tried to sit through the whole video, but couldn't. I heard about half and I can identify with her thought process as I have felt like that before. I don't believe in The Secret, Name it and Claim it, or that I can create a new reality for myself.

I don't think having a positive attitude will necessarily change the world around you (but it can sometimes). Having a positive attitude helps you see that in spite of the shit you can still be happy. Life can still be good. Really it's about recognizing the hope and potential in most situations.

I don't think telling someone to have a positive attitude is the answer. I can get a REALLY pessimistic view, hell I was suicidal once upon a time, but I have learned that my perception IS everything. Even if it's not reality how I see it is my reality. So if I can find it within myself to see the positive side then everything is different for ME, but I can't change it for anyone else.

Of course. It's a shame you didn't watch the whole video, because she then says that "pessimism can be just as much a delusion as optimism". i.e. the video is not "an argument in favour pessimism and against all optimism".

I don't disagree with anything you say, I doubt the person who made the video does either.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Of course. It's a shame you didn't watch the whole video, because she then says that "pessimism can be just as much a delusion as optimism". i.e. the video is not "an argument in favour pessimism and against all optimism".

I don't disagree with anything you say, I doubt the person who made the video does either.
    I'll finish it later when I'm in a calmer mood. Then I can feel stupid for saying what I said.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I agree with the points intis video. I'm also impressed by how well the person doing the drawing got it in synch with the speach!

MBTI
    INTJ

I find the best approach to life events of any kind is to keep a neutral attitude until the actual nature of the situation can be assessed. I don't expect good or bad things.. and I always fully expect to have to try very hard at everything that I do... I typically stay away from things that aren't worth doing or aren't worth taking any associated risks.. beyond that.. there really isn't any control over what happens to you in life.. If you always try your best and do your best you can't do anymore and it is surprisingly easy to live with things in life - in my opinion anyway - when that attitude is taken....

Horrible things sometimes happen and often there isn't anything that could have been done to prevent it or to overcome it... all you can do if something horrible happens to you is try your best to overcome it at the time and prevent reoccurrence in the future.. beyond that there really isn't much that can be done... having a positive attitude cannot prevent all tragedies anymore than a negative attitude can cause them... I think there are situations where being negative or pessimistic can lead to limited effort being applied to the situation and thus a bad outcome results save the interference of luck.. the same can be said for being overly positive in a situation and not taking proper precautions and thus a bad outcome results save luck...

but if you've done your best and you're still in the middle of a shit storm all you can do is ride it out and do your best with whatever is left standing at the end... more than that is not really possible...

so, for me what I do rather than telling myself I'll definitely get this or I'll definitely do that... I say I'll do the best I can do with whatever hand I am given at the time - and more than that I can't do....

at least that is what works for me I obviously can't speak for everyone..
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

Smile Mental Hygiene

But whatever you do, don't think bad thoughts about MBTI.

The Thought Police are vigilant so the best thing to do is to replace your bad thoughts with good thoughts. I mean that is what a good person would do.

Just think to yourself that MBTI is there simply to help us understand ourselves.

And remember four million Americans do the MBTI test every year, and it is administered by American Corporations and the American Military so it must be good, otherwise they wouldn't use it.

And of course they export it to the rest of the world who see it as a way of becoming as rich as America.

But essentially it is a moral issue. Only you can choose whether your head is full of good thoughts or bad thoughts.

And the reality is that good people have good thoughts and the bad people have bad thoughts.

But it is even more serious than that, for bad thoughts lead to thought crime. It starts off with just one bad thought now and then but snowballs into fully fledged thought crime.

What would your parents think if you were convicted? What would your friends think?

This is why it is so important to police your own thoughts - for once they get out of control, who knows where they might lead?

Yes, it is simply a matter of mental hygiene.

ThatGirl

First off I think I have fallen in love with the cartoonist.....

Second I completely agree, I was ready to post a counter argument, but she made the point in the last 20 seconds of the video.

Positive thinking, when you are excited people get excited with you. So this creates less resistance.....look at the con man. He never provides anything of relevance but people get caught in the enthusiasm. But to think that one would ever create a concrete reaction through positive thinking alone is ridiculous. Basically you can create momentum, enthusiasm, but it is then up to you to do something with it.

Though, most of what she hit on is not a new concept at all, haven't people always shot the messenger?