Thread: Getting rid of baggage.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Getting rid of baggage.

Anyone have any helpful hints of moving on from things of the past?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENTP

I presume you're talking about Romance, in which case, a new love extinguishes an old love.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I presume you're talking about Romance, in which case, a new love extinguishes an old love.
    BINGO.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTP

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

LCD monitor broken. The weak shall perish, life goes on.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    LCD monitor broken. The weak shall perish, life goes on.
    Yeah!

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Smile Intoxication and Ecstasy

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Anyone have any helpful hints of moving on from things of the past?
    I keep everything from my past as though it were a precious jewel. As indeed it is. It is the jewel of understanding, for at the time of experience, I often don't understand what is happening. It is only when I can recollect in tranquillity, that I can collect my understanding. And then interestingly I can start to integrate one understanding into another.

If I discarded my baggage, I would be discarding the clues to my life. I would be left blind, emotionless, dumb and alone.

But I am surprised many don't feel the same as I do and merrily discard their baggage at the first opportunity. Who travels light, I tell them, travels alone. But their baggage is weighing them down so much, they feel they are drowning.

No, they want a new life. It changed my life, they say, when they meet something new. They want a new life; they want new relationships; they even want new furniture; they want to reinvent themselves. And they do.

They epitomise the whirlwind of creative destruction that offers intoxication but denies ecstasy.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    They epitomise the whirlwind of creative destruction that offers intoxication but denies ecstasy.
    I agree in general. But, we also have to learn to let go when it is time to let go. Many people scourge themselves bloody with the memory of the past. A memory that is clouded with masochism and regret. Memory is not reliable. We are predisposed to feel loss, even over things we should be glad to let go of. It is the same quirk in the human mind that makes it hard for people to throw out old clothing.

What is your definition of ecstasy and how does it differ from intoxication?

Kraken down on piracy Array Lux's Avatar

With moving on from the past I tend to look at it as - it all made me who I am today. In that if anything had changed I would be different in some way, so I don't see the past as something to regret but something to spring from. And what Synarch mentioned about memory not being reliable is very true. Every time you replay a memory your current environment and feelings alter it in some way. So every time it is a bit a different than the last time you replayed it. So it is not worth beating yourself up over the past, it may not even honestly be an accurate memory. Take what you can from it, grow and learn, respect the past, but don't live there.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Smile Orientation

I agree in general. But, we also have to learn to let go when it is time to let go. Many people scourge themselves bloody with the memory of the past. A memory that is clouded with masochism and regret. Memory is not reliable. We are predisposed to feel loss, even over things we should be glad to let go of. It is the same quirk in the human mind that makes it hard for people to throw out old clothing.
    Forgive me but there are two bits of baggage I want to throw out.

I want to throw out agreement or disagreement. And I want to throw out definitions.

For I don't care whether you agree or disagree with me. I presume you will do one or the other or somewhere in between. But it is irrelevant. It is existentially irrelevant.

Whether you agree or disagree doesn't change what I have said. So your only appropriate response is to say something of your own. In other words you can only add to the bonfire, you can't take anything away. What has been writ stays writ and the writing finger moves on.

I also want to throw out definitions because they are redundant, reductive and defensive. Definitions presuppose a teleology - a beginning, a middle and an end. But here we are engaged in the never-ending-conversation, free of any teleology at all.

So instead of asking for a definition, we would do better to ask for the relationship, the recurse or the gestalt.

I realise that throwing out the baggage of agreement or disagreement and the baggage of definitions leaves us disorientated. But it also leaves us free to orientate ourselves to the never-ending-conversation.