• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting rid of baggage.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Anyone have any helpful hints of moving on from things of the past?

Yes!
Not really!
Maybe!
Possibly no!
Probably could think of something but your not gonna like it!
Do I want to spend the energy thinking about a machine that could shear baggage into compost, hot tube time machine fore teh girls. :D it might work. but we are talking psychic residue here that has one of those lasting emotional tag arcs, this could need a plunger.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

some things you'll never fully be able to get rid of... without resorting to a lobotomy, which isn't highly suggested... certain fears are hard to shake, certain experiences will always be remembered, some people you won't forget- it's unfortunate (or fortunate in some cases!) but true :hug:

the best you can do is to keep moving on and find someone who IS a positive influence and who you DO enjoy... nobody can make everything better, but having someone good can make things feel alright. You'll eventually grow to trust them and love them and though the past will never be erased, it will be the past... and the present will be better than the past was :)

Chloe

dialogue between dominant and non-dominant hand is extremely helpful. "The power of your other hand" is book that can guide you through this, i have it in pdf so if you want me to email it send me your email in pm

Chloe

some things you'll never fully be able to get rid of... without resorting to a lobotomy, which isn't highly suggested... certain fears are hard to shake, certain experiences will always be remembered, some people you won't forget- it's unfortunate (or fortunate in some cases!) but true :hug::)

I agree with this but it's different to *remember* than to have your life be under control of your past and traumas.
Remembering isnt bad thing, but if you're constantly triggered by past expiriences ... that you can and need to get rid of.

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram

Focus on the positive. Focus on what you do have.
Get a therapist or someone you trust to go through the grieving process.
Keep yourself busy. When you're busy, you are less likely to think. Stop visiting places that remind you of that past situation. Stop listening to songs that remind you of that past situation.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see three options.

Relocation, memory loss, acceptance.

Relocation: Move away, don't look back, start anew.

Memory loss: Keep hitting yourself on the head real hard, eventually you will start to wonder why you are holding a hammer in your hand.

Acceptance: The past is the past. The baggage has your name on it and it is yours. Don't carry it anymore, just let it float around, unhampering your ability to move forward.

Tradewind

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was browsing and this thread made me want to post. It reminds me a lot of the conversation Yoda has with Anakin about loss. Whether its grieving for someone who has gone away or someone who has perished. Basically, he says to learn to let go of all you fear to lose.

He is not very specific as to how but its probably best if you find a way that works for you.

Yoda is a pretty wise guy.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
i believe you are mistaking your experience of love for what love is. i think that we (you and i--Fe-Ti) feel love at moments of death and change because we see the whole story in a new light that is too distant and too overarching to stay dialed into in an everyday life moment-by-moment kind of way. i don't know if there's that much consciousness to go around.

others (Fi) dwell on their feelings to come to terms with a truth for themselves that is necessary in order for them to navigate the world and make their decisions. and i also am under the assumption that that activity produces a kind of subjectively tinged love that provides a kind of affirmation and validation and truth that is if not permanent far beyond our transitory acting out/performance/decision of love. it is stored in a more enduring memory than our Fe love-grammar.

my aspiration is to recognize this kind of love, to know it, and allow it to transform my vision of the world beyond how i see love and its leaking colors.

It's true at least for me in that the concept of loss as described by Synarch doesn't figure prominently in my experience of love at all.

I'd say don't force yourself to move on. Grieve, assess, learn (I don't think this has to follow a linear pattern)...learn about yourself and relationships. Don't be afraid to be critical about yourself. Accept that there will be tiny relapses and days when you feel like shit. Try to occupy your mind with things that provide you with positive feedback and work on centering yourself that way. I don't think running far away and hunting for rebounds is always the best option. Often the key to bouncing back lies in yourself as well, in coming to terms with your feelings yourself and gaining deeper understanding so you can balance yourself out (/= spending days wallowing in self-pity...part of learning how to handle Fi is learning how not to drown in it). I suppose in a way that may be part of the Fe-Fi perspective on abandonment...I try to think of it as rebuilding or balancing myself more than as leaving something behind (esp. after initial grieving).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for all of your responses. They help a little bit- I'm not sure if I can internalize them yet. (Except for Whatever: She wins the most practical response award.) I came out of a bad relationship a year ago. The "grieving" process seems to be over. (At least in regards to losing the relationship and the future and stuff.) I don't love him at all anymore, but still seem to be pretty messed up from everything that happened with him. This is really unusual for me, but I am just having a difficult time letting go of these bad experiences.

My current relationship still manages to be healthy- and he treats my baggage with great love and care, that is helpful.