User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default "It's only people's games you got to dodge" -Dylan

I've been thinking this lyric over (from dylan's It's alright Ma) and it continues to interest me because i can't quite get my mind around it. I've found info online about so called social games like guilt trips, reject and retreat, and pretend confusion games, but everyone i talk to thinks its creepy or doesn't understand me . So i figured i'd throw it up here. your thoughts are appreciated

ReflecTcelfeR

I imagine it's warning you to avoid others manipulative tendencies.

MBTI
    INTP

i figured that much. i guess i was looking for examples. however counter productive these games may be there existence is interesting

MBTI
    XXFP

Don't get involved in playing games (manipulative dynamics), Dylan is warning you. And by "having to dodge", he's indicating that you actively have to keep an eye out for what's going on. It's easy to get into a game with someone without realizing it, if you don't know what to look out for.

Nothing replaces experience in terms of identifying what's going on.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

ReflecTcelfeR

Most people that I know use a guilting approach. The ole' "-sigh- I guess you don't have to come, but your grandparents miss you and they'd really like to see you" phrase. I have become immune to it, but I find that guilt is usually the first choice for most people.

MBTI
    INTP

makes sense. i guess in the end its better to identify and avoid rather than coerce others. but i know Dylan must have had his own games

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Most people that I know use a guilting approach. The ole' "-sigh- I guess you don't have to come, but your grandparents miss you and they'd really like to see you" phrase. I have become immune to it, but I find that guilt is usually the first choice for most people.
    My mother. That woman is a freakin' expert on guilt trips, I swear. Sometimes it really annoys me, but most of the time it's more like 'meh, alright, whatever'.

Anyway, to the original poster (because I can't be bothered right now to go and check who it is, or god forbid, quote): it could be that you're overthinking it. Imagine that.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    XXFP

There's what I'll call the 'damsel in distress game', where a woman (or man) acts in such a way where there are real or imagined issues she is having blocking her from realizing some goal. Or she is "stuck" in a bad situation.

Well meaning individuals might try to step in and help her get past this block, only to find that she won't take the steps necessary to do so, even with much time and effort.

After a while, it becomes apparent that what the 'damsel' really wants is attention. She wants someone to pay attention to her (low self esteem is common among the damsel's), but she doesn't really want to be "saved." This is especially apparent if the damsel fails to show appreciation for the steps other's may take to help her.

At some point, with the damsel's, you have to walk away and realize that they are manipulating you for attention, and if they really want to overcome their issues, they need to put in the effort on their own, and if they need help doing so, they should show the people who are trying to help them respect and courtesy.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

I love Dylan!! What a genius! He's a recluse. It's a wonderful line. To me, it explains social games that people will play can destroy you faster than anything else in the world. He's saying that you can truley live if you can do this one thing...dodge people's games. I think it's also implying that you can't avoid them, you have to wait, then dodge. Fight back with your readiness.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    There's what I'll call the 'damsel in distress game', where a woman (or man) acts in such a way where there are real or imagined issues she is having blocking her from realizing some goal. Or she is "stuck" in a bad situation.

Well meaning individuals might try to step in and help her get past this block, only to find that she won't take the steps necessary to do so, even with much time and effort.

After a while, it becomes apparent that what the 'damsel' really wants is attention. She wants someone to pay attention to her (low self esteem is common among the damsel's), but she doesn't really want to be "saved." This is especially apparent if the damsel fails to show appreciation for the steps other's may take to help her.

At some point, with the damsel's, you have to walk away and realize that they are manipulating you for attention, and if they really want to overcome their issues, they need to put in the effort on their own, and if they need help doing so, they should show the people who are trying to help them respect and courtesy.

This mentality is exactly why I hate men....You people think you have everything figured out.