User Tag List

12 Last

Lightbulb Influence of video games

1.Do you think that there would not be large chuncks of your personality in the case that video games do not exist ?

If nothing they can effect you through someone who is close to you if he/she plays them regulary.

2. Some people say that they got alot of wisdom from The Bible. While some people claim that they go the same thing from Star Trek. So I am wondering does anyone thinks that they got any wisdom from a video games?
    Or that video games greatly influenced their political and social views?

3. I am interested in what you have played and do you think that this has largely effected your personality? So feel free to post pictures , videos, and comments about it.

Discuss.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I don't really think my personality has been affected by video games. Like other media, I think my personality is what attunes me to certain types and genres of games in the first place, and my personality directs my video game consumption to a degree, and not the other way around.

I tend to think of video games as any other kind of storytelling and experience medium, just one that is more interactive than say, books and movies. Some people have books that change their social perspectives, movies that change outlooks, for me I have certain games. I'd say the game that had the biggest impact on my political and social views was Deus Ex. Specifically, the conversation with an AI locked inside some guy's closet. I always think about that conversation, and it remains one of the best ones I've ever had, if that makes any sense.

I like to play more western games: sandbox style of games where I'm given the freedom to roam and dictate my interaction with the game, although I do love games with a more linear pace and good storytelling experience, puzzle solving experience [OMG Portal], adventure/collecting experience, etc.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

1. I think that if there weren't any videogames, I would have gotten inspiration elsewhere. In that sense things could be different, but it wouldn't be in the sense of missing personality. There is also no arguement to measure which course would have been better or worse. There simply is no comparison.

2. Definatly, in the sense that people that made videogames put wisdom into them, and as a player, you are sampling that. Just like there is wisdom to gain from the bible, and also from Mein Kampf. My point, wisdom can be aquired everywhere.

3. I started with games like Xenon, Space Invaders, Depthbomber, Hotel, etc. Moved on to more graphical games of all kinds. Defender of the Crown, Street Rod, Lotus, Wolfenstein, Castle of the Winds :p, etc, etc.
    When things went 3d I focused mainly on first person shooters, in particular the Quake 2 mod called Action Quake. It was the first 'real' internet multiplayer game I played and I played it together with many people in our school. After that scene died down, I lost the taste for first person shooters and went into the RPG scene. Fallout (1 and 2), Arcanum, Diablo (1 and 2), Nox. As well as strategy games like command and conquer serier up to Generals I've owned all of them. And also all of the dune games, from dune 2 up to Emperor: Battle for Dune.

When World of Warcraft came out I went there, and there isn't a game I've played as much as this game since. When I stopped playing WoW a little over a year ago, I started playing some multiplayer games that didn't require constant attendance. A good example of late is Heroes of Newerth. And I've also went back to single player rpg's, like Dragon's Age and Fallout. Basicly games I can put away for a week without falling behind to others like in MMO's.

I think what has affected my personality the most, are probably the multiplayer games. Where you play and interact with other people directly. So in that sense, it wasn't the games but the people that had most effect. Other influences are gained from inspiration like stories, rpg's, etc. Sampling the creativity of the developpers.

Long story short, my personality is unaffected by games in a direct sense. But rather indirectly through other peoples ideas, creations and interactions.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Games that made the greatest impact on me no particular order:

Grand Theft Auto series
    Soul Caliber
    KOTOR
    Mass Effect
    Fallout 3
    C/o Riddick: Butcher Bay
    Rock Band
    Bioshock
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Games that made the greatest impact on me no particular order:

Grand Theft Auto series
    Soul Caliber
    KOTOR
    Mass Effect
    Fallout 3
    C/o Riddick: Butcher Bay
    Rock Band
    Bioshock
    Any particular reason? Some of these are favorites myself [KotOR, Soul Caliber, Fallout 3] but for very different reasons. I wonder what you got out of them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Any particular reason? Some of these are favorites myself [KotOR, Soul Caliber, Fallout 3] but for very different reasons. I wonder what you got out of them.
    Admittedly this sounds nerdy and cornball but its true, at least to some extent, of the magical ways video games have effected my life.

GTA - enjoyed the sense of freedom/sandbox game play. It transcended to irl and found myself taking more risks, being bolder as well and incorporating its style of humor in my dialog.

Soul Caliber - Got a good deal of camaraderie when matched up against another person playing this game.

KOTOR - The good and evil choices had a much stronger impact on my psyche than I expected got me considering ethics irl more.

Rock Band: Playing that game with my nephew and niece when they visited was a coolio experience. It one cool feel the camaraderie which I believe would be similar to what real band mates feel.

Fallout 3 - Similar to KOTOR and the music became part of the mental soundtrack to my life.

Mass Effect: The romance gimmick actually worked well on me. Also what I said about KOTOR but to a lesser extent.

Butcher Bay: Made think about how flawed the prison system can be in our own world not to mention outer space. Inspired me to write a letter to a incarcerated bank robber friend.

Bioshock: Simply one of the most beautiful and artistic games I have ever scene. Made me think about the philosophies and critiques thereof of Frederick Nietzsche and Ayn Rand.

Just imagining about upcoming games and the future possibilities as to games or gaming technology applied to other areas of life fascinates me.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't feel like I've been "impacted" or inspired by video games, though I play them often (computer games, almost never console games). They reflect my personality, not the other way around.

I enjoy:

real time strategy (warcraft 3, starcraft, age of empires, etc)
    city building/managing (sim city, pharaoh)
    RPG (diablo 2, warhammer online)
    turn based strategy (heroes of might and magic 3, civilization 3, masters of orion!) my favourite!
    and similar things.

I really, really hate shooting games and puzzle/"mystery" games.
    -end of thread-

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I don't think any games have influenced my personality, in any way, but I do know that a rare few have inspired me, and influenced my emotions. I prefer those games that invoke within me a feeling of awe, and it is these games or moments within games that stick closely to me. Games are like stories to me, at least, some games are - FPS, fighters, some RPG's, etc., are not so maginificent and I don't consider them stories, but "games"/generic and mindless thrill objects, instead.

Games that have influenced me:

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2): This is my all-time favorite game. The story, while it left unanswered questions, was still beautifully dark and inviting; I've yet to play a game in which the story felt so amazing. The scenery was beautiful, the music superb, and the enemies felt like enemies. Climbing to the top of a giant Colossi and stabbing it until it dies is extremely fun, as well. The Wanderer, the protagonist, was a great character even though he was silent, and Dormin, the antagonist, was a great antagonist even though he never made a real appearance in the game.

An exellent game. I want to play the other titles released by Team Ico, but my ps2 went and died on me.

Final Fantasy 3?4? - can't rememer - It was the one with Celeste and Kefka. My favorite FF title thus far. Also, Alan Wake - TLoZ: OoT - Bioshock 1&2 - Metroid Prime 2 - That's all I can think of right now - Are notable games as well. Various scenes in those games, not the entire game, influenced me.

/Nerd.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post

An exellent game. I want to play the other titles released by Team Ico, but my ps2 went and died on me.

Final Fantasy 3?4? - can't rememer - It was the one with Celeste and Kefka. My favorite FF title thus far.

Final fantasy 6 I guess. Kefka is mad.

HD versions of both ICO and SotC are supposed to come out on the ps3 :=)

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ryb View Post
    Final fantasy 6 I guess. Kefka is mad.
    He was an interesting lunatic.

HD versions of both ICO and SotC are supposed to come out on the ps3 :=)
    I don't have a PS3
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...