User Tag List

First 12

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    a small proportion are just people trying to excape their personal responsibility.
    ...and this was one of the reasons I chose not to continue - I found that I have a very low tolerance of attention seeking people with personality disorders when there are so many needing real assistance.

The other two reasons were that I was too young to be able to have the presence to be able to fix the "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" culture of how mental illness was treated, and saddened by the realisation that noone was ever cured, just managed with medication so long as they took it, and most of those with psychoses were progressively worse with each admission.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    ...and this was one of the reasons I chose not to continue - I found that I have a very low tolerance of attention seeking people with personality disorders when there are so many needing real assistance.

The other two reasons were that I was too young to be able to have the presence to be able to fix the "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" culture of how mental illness was treated, and saddened by the realisation that noone was ever cured, just managed with medication so long as they took it, and most of those with psychoses were progressively worse with each admission.

Yea I can emapthise with all of the above, but then western medicine doens't cure physical health either, it's all about management of symptoms. Easter medicine is about promotion of wellness, again no cures there. Antibiotics are one of the fure cures to have been invented as they treat infeaction.

I left because I was nackered, I was working from 7am till 11 pm 6 days a week in a care in the community and had enough, but it took my 5 years there after (I nursed during Uni) to really leave.

Mental health is tricky because there are such a range of issues but the treatments are possitively antiquated and rather scary.

You seemed to have been trained in good faith and then walked into the wall of ethical dilema medicine is plagued with. Good for you to be trained though.

I really do apperciate that the real sick ones are genuinelly sick (even folks with full blown personality issues like BPD rather than just stone heads who camp it up a bit). The one thing that used to scare me though was the properly sick ones when they would go off on an agressive phase - you had no power to rationalise or reason with them, because they could imagine you into a monster or all sorts, so you couldn't deal with agressive beahviours in the same way as my primary discipline.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't work in mental health but I have been in a hospital for a month in highschool, never again. I do have an illness but i try to stay on top of it to avoid going to the hospital because i do not want to ever be locked up again.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't work in mental health but I have been in a hospital for a month in highschool, never again. I do have an illness but i try to stay on top of it to avoid going to the hospital because i do not want to ever be locked up again.
    You are very brave and smart to stay on top of this and I tip my hat to you.

Maintaining enough insight to recognise and undertake the necessary steps to prevent readmission can be a very difficult thing to do and needs a lot of strength of character and self-discipline
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown