Thread: Affirmations

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Affirmations

My mom got me into them recently. Just a quick wiki tidbit for those that don't know. Affirmations (New Age) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are kind of new-agey as the article implies. Not sure about the current scientific validity of these. I've always believed that the universe will give you what you ask for, or respond to positive and negative thoughts. (Perhaps this was my upbringing.)

What do you guys think?
    Quacky? Out there? A ploy to make money from the vulnerable? Or amazing up and coming discovery?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I saw some lady who was big on daily affirmations on Wife Swap a while back (don't tell anyone I was watching it ) and something about repeating things like that was really creepy... it reminded me of Bob on What About Bob?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't know how to react to that.

Everyday of my life I have woken up with the following mindset:

"Today's going to be great. I am going to kick ass, take names, and make shit happen. YeeeeeeHah!!!"

So, I don't know if affirmations would do me any good.

They might do other people good though, so I won't hate on them.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Riva

Affirmations are mind strengthening techniques. They could be interpreted as self hypnosis. Mind strengthening is something that is believable. I am sure we have all done it in our lives at least once without knowing it. And I am even more sure that we have made more negative remarks about our selves and carried it in our minds and believed those feelings which have about ourselves are true and cannot change.

So if negative affirmations are true, the positive once should also be true is that not?

--

And there are differences between visualizations and affirmations. To understand visualizations watch the Secret. Affirmations you could read Napoleon Hill's Think and grow rich.

But affirmations are a daily part of our lives even though not all of us have noticed it.

Riva

Today's going to be great.
    This is not an affirmation it is actually a visualization. To visualize that the day is going to be great is something we want to happen and believe it is going to happen for sure.

I am going to kick ass, take names, and make shit happen. YeeeeeeHah!!!
    Now this is a affirmation. It is a thought that you carry around about yourself.

Riva

Affirmation - Belief about self
    Visualization - Belief about life

Ps - Watch The Secret.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

A positive attitude is empowering, as anyone who feels good can tell you, but I don't find affirmations to be a good way to achieve one. If you have to affirm something, then you don't believe it; and if you believe something, you have no need to affirm it. At best, affirmations might serve as a kind of crutch; more often, they lead to cognitive dissonance.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFP

I don't like affirmations because it's clinging to an ideal in order to find inner peace.

You cannot realise true inner peace if it is dependent upon clinging to an ideal.

The relaxing calm derived from inner peace comes from not clinging, not fearing. Affirmations are used to combat fear (the fear of the negative, thus being essentially positive). Inner peace comes from not fearing by having lived. Having made it through many a struggle and coming out alright. The fear was naturally destroyed.

There is never a short-cut to inner peace.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Affirmation - Belief about self
    Visualization - Belief about life

Ps - Watch The Secret.
    Good stuff, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    A positive attitude is empowering, as anyone who feels good can tell you, but I don't find affirmations to be a good way to achieve one. If you have to affirm something, then you don't believe it; and if you believe something, you have no need to affirm it. At best, affirmations might serve as a kind of crutch; more often, they lead to cognitive dissonance.
    Bad ass response to this, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I don't like affirmations because it's clinging to an ideal in order to find inner peace.

You cannot realise true inner peace if it is dependent upon clinging to an ideal.

The relaxing calm derived from inner peace comes from not clinging, not fearing. Affirmations are used to combat fear (the fear of the negative, thus being essentially positive). Inner peace comes from not fearing by having lived. Having made it through many a struggle and coming out alright. The fear was naturally destroyed.

There is never a short-cut to inner peace.
    Beautifully stated.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    And I should mention that the main part of Affirmations is to believe the positive trait you want to be actually true. This is what people who believe in themselves do, they Believe in themselves. Affirmation is not simply a statement we affirm but a statement we have to believe is true.