User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Affirmations

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    ...the human mind naturally rejects the condition of cognitive dissonance.
    Yes, cognitive dissonance is rejected by the uneducated because it is emotionally painful.

However the educated learn that cognitive dissonance is part of the Socratic Dialog and leads to discovery.

It's interesting that the uneducated want to feel good and not discover anything new. So they just keep on repeating the same old affirmations over and over again.

And so naturally to make a profit, consumer culture caters to the uneducated. And for the same reason popular culture also caters to the uneducated.

Marketeers make us feel good, they boost our self esteem, not to educate us, but to sell their product.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It seems to work for Jessica.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg"]"Jessica's Affirmation"[/YOUTUBE]

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

I don't know what the scientific validity of affirmations are either (and believe me, i am ALL about scientific validity)...but at this point i'm not sure i'm inclined to care. they work for me and i have my own ideas about how they work, but as far as i'm concerned they are effective. the brain works in ways that we cannot yet fully understand. it has SO much power and so much potential that i'm not even sure science could fully capture why affirmations are (not) effective in different people.

my theory is this: we already know that repetition is an essential part of learning for humans. by having positive affirmations repeated to me, i can allow myself to state my intention for the day, such as "i am going to have a productive day". because my brain has already decided i am going to have a productive day, i can now allow myself to practise avoiding situations that do not allow me to have a productive day. the more i practise acting out what i have decided, the more i am actually able to follow through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    ..repetition is an essential part of learning for humans.
    Rather then being an essential part of learning, repetition is an essential part of trance, for a trance can be induced by any repetition.

Trances feel good and are highly sought by humans. It doesn't matter whether you are dancing to Trance music under the influence of E, or whether you are at Mass, or watching TV, or repeating affirmations, it is all trance.

And in various trances, various cognitive faculties go to sleep and we become suggestible. So by repeating the suggestion, "I am productive", may very well lead to more productivity, and it will feel good as well.

I learnt about trance on Trance Institute Courses

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Possibly .. I like your thinking.

I think that positive affirmations are a good source of producing positive outcomes .. or even negative outcomes where you can appreciate the positives from it.
    Humans are energy, our aura's can't dispell this negativity until we change our thinking/behaviour (Ever let someone get close enough and got that vibe of negative energy?) Positive energy thus bring closer positive people towards us .. That's the idea anyway.
    Yes something like that. The energy and thinking/behaviour I have been used to most of my life is incredibly negative and you expect your family to be different and the outcome would cause a dissonance and a subdued kind of life. For then the ability to express in a comfortable way is changed to a state of anxiety.

And then once that went for me I saw the difference.

In the same way negative focused energies focus on their negatives because those are the experiences they have experienced and find it difficult to see positives when their life has been littered with negatives.

And positive focused energies focus on their positives because those are the experiences most encountered in their life and then its easy to focus on positive experiences in their life and can't imagine otherwise.

Takes effort for a person to recreate this image map in their mind to self belief. We are if I am to use a strong word, assaulted, by negative imagery through not only our upbringing but society, work, friends, the media and writing in kind because it generates an emotional and critical response. It also reinforces negative experiences by association to your own and you look for them more often subconsciously to affirm that that is what happens, see its like validating those negative experiences further in the loop that happened for those ideas to manifest.

In that sense while positive and negative events happen continually, the balance between them is towards negative encounters more than positive and then its easier to self doubt than self believe.

The right frame work, infrastructure, internal as it were needs be in place to have those affirmative beliefs to enjoy a fuller life and accept those events that bring us down and bounce back to those events that lift us up rather than dwell on them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Josephized_Joe View Post
    And I thought Shakespeare was difficult to decipher. I'd hate to mark your essay questions.
    haha thanks, when I let my self speak, really speak I can have curious ideas.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Yes something like that. The energy and thinking/behaviour I have been used to most of my life is incredibly negative and you expect your family to be different and the outcome would cause a dissonance and a subdued kind of life. For then the ability to express in a comfortable way is changed to a state of anxiety.

And then once that went for me I saw the difference.

In the same way negative focused energies focus on their negatives because those are the experiences they have experienced and find it difficult to see positives when their life has been littered with negatives.

And positive focused energies focus on their positives because those are the experiences most encountered in their life and then its easy to focus on positive experiences in their life and can't imagine otherwise.

Takes effort for a person to recreate this image map in their mind to self belief. We are if I am to use a strong word, assaulted, by negative imagery through not only our upbringing but society, work, friends, the media and writing in kind because it generates an emotional and critical response. It also reinforces negative experiences by association to your own and you look for them more often subconsciously to affirm that that is what happens, see its like validating those negative experiences further in the loop that happened for those ideas to manifest.

In that sense while positive and negative events happen continually, the balance between them is towards negative encounters more than positive and then its easier to self doubt than self believe.

The right frame work, infrastructure, internal as it were needs be in place to have those affirmative beliefs to enjoy a fuller life and accept those events that bring us down and bounce back to those events that lift us up rather than dwell on them.
    Makes sense .. It was only in my teenage years that i was surrounded by negative factors that had a major influence on my thinking thus i turned into a passive and insecure individual .. I never thought i was in control of my own perception of myself afterall people love/care for you know what they are talking about .. Or not as the case was.

It has only been recently that i have changed my thinking for the better .. Humans make mistakes, me included. No harm in admitting that, lol.

I get up in the morning and tell myself 'Today is going to be a good and productive day' and even when something bad happens .. I try and laugh it off. It is all about choices and what we choose to focus on. I can't do this all the time and there are days where anxiety overwhelms me but i always come back and find my place where i need to be.

We always bounce back and learn valuable lessons in the meantime.

I have a post it note at the side of my bed .. It says Ask, Believe and Receive.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Makes sense .. It was only in my teenage years that i was surrounded by negative factors that had a major influence on my thinking thus i turned into a passive and insecure individual .. I never thought i was in control of my own perception of myself afterall people love/care for you know what they are talking about .. Or not as the case was.

It has only been recently that i have changed my thinking for the better .. Humans make mistakes, me included. No harm in admitting that, lol.

I get up in the morning and tell myself 'Today is going to be a good and productive day' and even when something bad happens .. I try and laugh it off. It is all about choices and what we choose to focus on. I can't do this all the time and there are days where anxiety overwhelms me but i always come back and find my place where i need to be.

We always bounce back and learn valuable lessons in the meantime.

I have a post it note at the side of my bed .. It says Ask, Believe and Receive.
    Mmm yes affirmations are the most binding aspects in our psyche. Its from that point when our sub personalities are created to deal with the drama, splintered, in life like a fragmented spirit that has been watered down from itself into believing limited beliefs about personal attributes.

As children we are affirmed in our curiosity to achieve the unthinkable with ease, to be authentic in fact, it is pretty common to be able to have a soaring self belief in our achievements. Then this aspect is doused somewhat when the transformational ability to affirm our existence is altered. Then our lower register takes center stage instead of our higher register.

What I mean by that is that when we grow up, the expression in how we interact changes because there is a defensive conflict from the hurt experiences that bind to our projections and reactions in this world. in so doing we bind our affirmations as self enclosed, trying whole life times to find affirmative beliefs in something. And then we cling to them rather than our own self belief. Then it seems too vulnerable to expose that which is most needed, to recreate our affirmations and self belief to a state of maturation in which would also change the reflections of the kind of relationships that manifest in our life experience.

Affirmations are deeply psychological on a subconscious level just like negative and positive environments that foster the conclusions we have. The more you believe something the more it'll happen because it is the intentions that are being spoken of into the subconscious and ends up being expressed in our life time as validating and invalidating markers. Which are false because they aren't our own but generated by society, people, places that have a high effect on our growth state in what we are capable of achieving. The signals and intentions are inherently in conflict and then the spirit would be in conflict without achieving much because the affirmations aren't there to believe it.

The why many influences change the intentions accordingly to how much self belief we have in the way we carry our affirmations in what we do to ourselves and to others.

Its strange like that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Bullshit, just like astrology. However, sometimes Bullshit might be interesting - some people have written books on it (Harry Frankfurt).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Bullshit, just like astrology. However, sometimes Bullshit might be interesting - some people have written books on it (Harry Frankfurt).
    It isn't. Its similar to writing down a plan.

You write down what you want to achieve in 10 years. Your subconscious mind would work towards achieving them and enact parts of what you intended in situations. When blocked from your affirmations this takes longer, the plans, the intentions change. I've observed this process real time and from documentaries like the 7up series. Those plans that were uttered into the subconscious did take shape...40 years later. The affirmations spoken are strong.