User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'

Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'

Creativity is akin to insanity, say scientists who have been studying how the mind works.
    Chartered psychologist Gary Fitzgibbon says an ability to "suspend disbelief" is one way of looking at creativity.

"When you suspend disbelief you are prepared to believe anything and this opens up the scope for seeing more possibilities.

"Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as 'mentally ill'."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

really interesting read thanks for posting.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Thank you - this is fascinating and I have bookmarked the link it for future reference
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I always suspected this. A couple members of my family and myself were creative. But some of them had mental illness that interfered with normal functioning. I like to believe my mental illness is this side of sanity, but at times I wonder.
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

Interesting article, especially considering two close family members of mine both have schizophrenia. Thanks for sharing.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i have a crazy aunt and my dad was completely nuts he was just so funny and charming that i think most people just assumed he was joking...but i suspect he wasn't.

but...besides that...lots of artists in my family as well so the connection makes sense yep.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

i'd be happy being crazy if i met someone else who was crazy (especially for me. heh). not sure if the creativity is worth it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

what a crazy thing to say
    -Jim Morrison

Smile

An authoritarian upbringing leads to an authoritarian personality. And the authoritarian personality is concerned with bringing order out of chaos.

And although it is admirable to bring order out of chaos, it does have its limitations.

And the limitation of the authoritarian personality is that they can't tell the difference between chaos and creativity. And they tragically try to bring an external order to creativity, and in the process destroy the internal order of creativity.

Yes, the authoritarian personality imposes an external order, while the creative personality discovers the internal order.

And so the authoritarian personality makes the same mistake by not being able to tell the difference between the schizophrenic psychotic and the creative personality.

Yes, with the best intentions in the world, the authoritarian personality is relentlessly destructive of the creative personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    An authoritarian upbringing leads to an authoritarian personality.
    The opposite is also possible. The child develops a rebellious personality to combat the oppression.