User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Does this mean that all the normal people in the real world, are actually fuckt up?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

*didnt read many posts*

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Does this mean that all the normal people in the real world, are actually fuckt up?
    No, they're the vast majority. Because of that, us creative people are fsck't up, or at least considered weird.

I believe it. On my bad days I can't think. My thoughts splinter while I read them, so I just hold onto what few thoughts are solid. Even if they're bad ones that just ruin my mood. I read an anecdote from a schizophrenic and it clicked in my head, like, 'I GET it!'

Good days I'm more like Se ADD, but I need to check out more on schizophrenia. Hnn, maybe that's why I'm so interested in mental disorders?

-Victor is the bad aftertaste of a good thread. It adds depth. I just prefer Diogenes.

EDIT: Huh, the part that says creativity leads to an increased rick of bipolar disorder seems interesting, since I think I have a minor form of it. (Yes you're right Victor, but hey, humans are humans.)
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    FREE

I'm pretty crazy, but I'm not sure quite how creative I am.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    In my opinion schizophrenia, more than other mental illnesses, all of which the psychiatric community tend to regard as mostly chemical in nature, is an illness induced and fostered by cultural/communicative factors. I think, as you kind of do raga, that schizophrenics and people who suffer from some other mental illnesses, do share some of the same characteristics (biological and personal) that highly-creative people do - namely, that they are extremely sensitive and receptive to their environment, and qualify it differently from how the majority of people do. I talk about this in one of my posts maybe one or two pages back.
    Respectfully, I am not taking away from this article any conclusion stating that schizophrenics are extremely sensitive and receptive to their environment. It seems to be saying that the signals the thalamus are less filtered in schizophrenics, as are those of creative people. I'm not sure if schizophrenics actually are so sensitive and receptive, if only because they may be frequently distracted from their environment by their hallucinations.

You know whose case is instructive and fascinating to me personally? The case of January Schofield, schizophrenic, Age 7. Its hard to argue that her case was induced by cultural/communicative factors since there is so much compelling evidence that she was born schizophrenic. From what I know about her case, she shows a very high IQ. But back to the context of the article, for me, its interesting to think about a schizophrenic like Jani with her childhood imagination but so enormously amplified and made real. It makes it a little easier for me to fathom what their world is like. My heart goes out to the children like Jani and their families.

Jani's Journey
    Jani's at the mercy of her mind article
    Inside the World of Childhood Schizophrenia Video
    Young schizophrenic at her mind's mercy video
    Hushing the intruders in her mind video
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Its interesting to think about a schizophrenic like Jani with her childhood imagination but so enormously amplified and made real. It makes it a little easier for me to fathom what their world is like.
    Watching schizophrenics is saddening to me. Especially when their medicine is ruining them. Saddening.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

^ I know, its really diabolical that the family's choices are to give her the hardcore anti-psychotic drugs, that are admittedly toxic and have harsh side effects or pretty much institutionalize her where they might just do the same.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Respectfully, I am not taking away from this article any conclusion stating that schizophrenics are extremely sensitive and receptive to their environment. It seems to be saying that the signals the thalamus are less filtered in schizophrenics, as are those of creative people.
    That's why it's my opinion.
    I wasn't talking about the article specifically. As you know, topics tend to change as more posts get added to them. But on that note, I would think a tendency to receive unfiltered signals to the thalamus would make it more likely that you would be sensitive to stimuli around you, i.e. the environment. And I include culture with environment. Perhaps "receptive" was not a good word choice, since that implies a conscious taking-in of information. By sensitive, I don't mean being in tune with your environment. I mean being "aware" and not necessarily consciously. You become so viscerally "aware" that it's almost difficult to control and that manifests itself in strange behavior/illness and creative, artistic masterpieces.

Of course, mental illnesses are complicated, with schizophrenia being one of the most complex. And there are obviously different types of schizophrenia. I don't claim that what I think explains all bouts of schizophrenia. Nor do I think that any one theory should be exclusively used to explain schizophrenia, as many people are wont to do, which leads to the same prescriptions for mostly everybody, regardless of the context surrounding the patient's case. But if this is true for even some of the cases, then that means that some people can be helped without drugs, and that schizophrenia could be prevented in some instances. That seems like a good scenario to me. Whether it can be applied is another question...

In any event, I do believe that it's somewhat of a negotiation between the psychological approach and others (I'm an anthropology major) . Some of the context for where my opinion was formed can be found on pg. 3 of this thread, which is turning out to be a very informative one. Haven't yet, due to sleepiness, but I'll be sure to check out Jani's story.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Also, I'm not saying that all schizos and artists have this characteristic predisposition. I just assume, and I have no "scientific" backing for this, that these characteristics are more common among these individuals.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

^ I know, its really diabolical that the family's choices are to give her the hardcore anti-psychotic drugs, that are admittedly toxic and have harsh side effects or pretty much institutionalize her where they might just do the same.
    This is also a problem I think. While I do agree that there are plenty of individuals, doctors and companies doing work for the greater good, people tend to forget that the drug industry isn't necessarily a medical/health-oriented one. I know that statement might sound stupid, but it's a business first and foremost. Alternative medicine and approaches tend to get thrown to the wayside, either because they are "too labor-intensive" (counseling, etc.) or they don't make enough money.

Or they're illegal, partly because of the reason above. Psychedelics, anyone? Once again, not claiming a cure or an answer simply an alternative approach.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I have friends who have schizophrenia. Their behavior is unpredictable. They push people away from them with that unpredictable behavior. Their medication doesn't always work and it has terrible side effects. Sometimes it seems to me as if the doctors are clueless about how to treat their illness.To me, it seems as if they are treating their patients like lab rats. One of my friends, though, seems to have been given the right medication and she is functional, though with many health problems. She is very bright but limited in what she can do. It is very sad.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.