User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    I am Russell Crowe; my mind is beautiful.

"Results: -You scored a total of 8.

*mock astonishment* Oh my.
    Hahaha, I lol'd. John Nash is an interesting example, though. One that kind of refutes schizophrenia as being totally chemical/biolgical. First of all, I don't think that Nash actually hallucinated (not sure though). But the movie definitely exaggerated his illness. Anyways, didn't he just become "unschizophrenic" with time, possibly after a working out of his "confusion"?

His son is also schizo so there is something to be said about that.

Smile Ten Thousand Hours of Practice

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    People already know this. All of those great painters, writers, and musicians from centuries prior were often eccentric or had a substance abuse problem or went mad at some point.
    This is a myth of Romanticism. In particular it is the myth of the Romantic Individual, realised in the myth of the genius.

Today we know better and we know that most can be a genius after ten thousand hours of practice.

But of course most do not want to do ten thousand hours of practice, and so we look for the easy way out and say individual genius is result of derangement or, as we used to say, "Touched by God".

And of course, 'touched' means mad.

But all it takes is ten thousand hours of practice. Even Mozart, the divine composer musician, did ten thousand hours of practice.

But guess what - they never tell us that even Mozart had to practice for ten thousand hours before he was, "touched by God".

Just as we would have to practise for ten thousand hours before we were 'touched'. But we prefer to fantasize about madness and drugs rather than do the practice.

practice is good, i'll agree with you there. at the very least, you need to be inclined to be an artist first.

on the flipside, certain manic states, for example, could make you VERY productive (i think jack kerouac is a solid example of a manic artist). as for schizoid or altered states, it's possible someone already inclined to art will start seeing things in a new way, and create something beautiful out of it. lets just hope they come back down to earth otherwise.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is a myth of Romanticism. In particular it is the myth of the Romantic Individual, realised in the myth of the genius.

Today we know better and we know that most can be a genius after ten thousand hours of practice.

But of course most do not want to do ten thousand hours of practice, and so we look for the easy way out and say individual genius is result of derangement or, as we used to say, "Touched by God".

And of course, 'touched' means mad.

But all it takes is ten thousand hours of practice. Even Mozart, the divine composer musician, had ten thousand hours of practice.

But guess what - they never tell us that even Mozart had to practice for ten thousand hours before he was, "touched by God".

And so would we have to practise. But we prefer to fantasize about madness and drugs.
    But aren't there also cases of having thresholds or creative limits that can't be breached? I'm sure plenty of people know musicians/artists/writers who practice their craft for a lifetime and still end up producing, to most people, complete and utter sh1t.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    ...what is "normal" has become increasingly narrow.
    And what is normal is simply narcissistic.

We would far prefer to boost our children's self esteem than to tell them they must do ten thousand hours of practice.

And the result is narrow, narcissistic children.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    But aren't there also cases of having thresholds or creative limits that can't be breached? I'm sure plenty of people know musicians/artists/writers who practice their craft for a lifetime and still end up producing, to most people, complete and utter sh1t.
    "Practising their craft", is different from practising.

Just as playing the piano is different from practising the piano. And it is only practising the piano for ten thousand hours that will turn you into a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And what is normal is simply narcissistic.

We would far prefer to boost our children's self esteem than to tell them they must do ten thousand hours of practice.

And the result is narrow, narcissistic children.
    Tripe.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I hope Victor doesn't have children :rolli:
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    practice is good, i'll agree with you there. at the very least, you need to be inclined to be an artist first.

on the flipside, certain manic states, for example, could make you VERY productive (i think jack kerouac is a solid example of a manic artist). as for schizoid or altered states, it's possible someone already inclined to art will start seeing things in a new way, and create something beautiful out of it. lets just hope they come back down to earth otherwise.
    Ten thousand hours is a very long time to practise. So it takes excellent reality contact and personal discipline.

Mania, of course, only lasts for a short time and is out of contact with reality.

I would pay attention more to Victor, if he didn't come off so "narcissistic" himself. I mean, he speaks of himself in a declarative "we" tone a lot. Wtf is up with that? :confused: Secondly, he rides on authoritarians' asses, but yet, he wants to say how everyone is raising their children wrong...and how he has the right view on the matter. And worse, it's probably real close right now to him making this yet another thread about America vs Australia... pulling some selfcentered political point into the mix. And he knows all... And why? Because he has ascended to some non-tranced state...or something. Please. Don't even mention the word narcissistic, Vic. Unless you're willing to describe yourself in those terms.