Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

All the time -to question 8.

I enjoyed the article short as it was. I have always believed there to be a link between genuis and madness, extreme creativity and (some) mental health disorders. Begging the question of weather it is so unhealthy to have madness or mental health disorders. I think within the confines of society, like so many other things, the gifts are often blighted by the opinions and actions of others.
    Of course, as always, there are exceptions.
    Last edited by Betty Blue; 05-30-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: making it clearer (at least for myself)
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I am Russell Crowe; my mind is beautiful.

Psych Central - Schizophrenia Screening Quiz
    "Results: -You scored a total of 8.

*mock astonishment* Oh my.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    I do notice some similarities between the two. Most people consider me extremely creative. However, most of the things that they pin on me as being "creative behavior" are used to screen for schizphrenia. Check the questions at the link. Psych Central - Schizophrenia Screening Quiz

Sounds close to the same beliefs that are found in Enneagram type 4, don't they? I've also felt like I could be schizotypal at times.
    I'm not in that category. I scored a 2. The only times I actually flipped out were with substance abuse. Otherwise, I have some of the symptoms of bi-polar, if anything. Unfortunately, when I did screw up, the psychological "community (i.e. doctors) wanted to think I was schizo-affective, and made me take medications (one was Haldol, meant for schizophrenia...funnily though, it combats psychosis from drug abuse too), which fucked me up a bit. I should not have been taking it long. I was lucky to find a doctor who actually listened to my story and got me off.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I am a storyteller and a creative designer with crochet and with my sewing machine... but, apparently, not schizophrenic. I scored a one. The only thing that I could relate to was that people don't see or hear the things that I do. That's just because, according to audiological testing, I've got super-keen hearing and I hear much more than most people do. I am told regularly that I have a "feverish imagination."
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I have always believed there to be a link between genuis and madness...
    This is a belief of 19th Century Romanticism and has no basis in fact.

And when longitudinal studies were done to test this belief, it was found there is no link between creativity and madness, but there is a link between creativity and mental health.

Who's judging what amounts to creativity though? :confused:

I mean, I can see where the completely mad aren't going to create anything coherent, but in other cases, the lines are blurred, and it's not always easy to judge. Criticism can be so subjective, especially, I imagine, if it's coming from a bunch of geezer psychologists.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Who's judging what amounts to creativity though? :confused:

I mean, I can see where the completely mad aren't going to create anything coherent, but in other cases, the lines are blurred, and it's not always easy to judge. Criticism can be so subjective, especially, I imagine, if it's coming from a bunch of geezer psychologists.
    A mental illness is a psychosis. And the mentally ill are psychotics. And the psychotic are out of touch with reality.

Whereas the creative are in touch with reality. They are so well in touch with reality that they are able to create something new.

So the gulf between the creative and the psychotic is huge and it is called reality.

So you're saying sensors are in fact better artists than intuitives?

Finally! The Lord has spoken. Victor has settled it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

People already know this. All of those great painters, writers, and musicians from centuries prior were often eccentric or had a substance abuse problem or went mad at some point. I guess they've just finally decided that it's "scientifically proven"?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    Thanks OP, that article was fascinating! Some say that romantic love also mimics mental illness (see Dr Frank Tallis, Love Sick: Love as a Mental Illness). Oh well, I don't mind if I'm mad.
    I've read about that too...not that particular book, but another psychology book which stated that there's a very necessary stage of love which requires us to lose our own stable sense of identity ...and that if love weren't such a vital part of the human experience it would be considered a mental illness.

Just like if sleep weren't so familiar it would be scary (oh my god I'm going to lose consciousness!!!)

I agree with Victor to some degree, though. I think we live in a culture where an awful lot of human behavior is viewed as sickness or illness or deviance, and that the range of what is "normal" has become increasingly narrow.