User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The opposite is also possible. The child develops a rebellious personality to combat the oppression.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The opposite is also possible. The child develops a rebellious personality to combat the oppression.
    yep.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Smile

An authoritarian upbringing is a distinct improvement over an abusive upbringing.

For instance, an authoritarian upbringing will compel us to go to school by law to learn to read and write.

So the authoritarian upbringing has given us universal literacy at the relatively mild cost of the projecting personality.

And I think a cost/benefit analysis will show that literacy far outweighs projection.

However the helping mode of child rearing, where we help our children attain their goals, gives us the empathic and creative personality.

And the empathic and creative personality can understand the authoritarian personality. But tragically the authoritarian personality can't understand the empathic and creative personality.

And we see this dynamic acting itself out on these pages.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Thanks OP, that article was fascinating! Some say that romantic love also mimics mental illness (see Dr Frank Tallis, Love Sick: Love as a Mental Illness). Oh well, I don't mind if I'm mad.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Hmm... That was quite interesting. I have a sort of a block against the info, though... I see creativity as a sign of mental health, so how does that work out? Oh, I am not talking about the most creative-looking people, they are usually phonies just trying to think outside the box because it is fashionable. And I am not talking about the crazies, either. The truly creative people I've met were the sanest people I know. Maybe they once went on the border of insanity, but they came back as good as new.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I'm unconvinced and disagree to some extent, but it is an interesting read nonetheless.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Hmm... That was quite interesting. I have a sort of a block against the info, though... I see creativity as a sign of mental health, so how does that work out? Oh, I am not talking about the most creative-looking people, they are usually phonies just trying to think outside the box because it is fashionable. And I am not talking about the crazies, either. The truly creative people I've met were the sanest people I know. Maybe they once went on the border of insanity, but they came back as good as new.
    Longitudinal studies have shown that creative personalities are successful and well balanced. In particular, creative personalities are more successful and well balanced than authoritarian personalities.

However the authoritarian just don't understand the creative and so think they are crazy. Or they think something implausible such as they went to the border of insanity and came back creative.

I think that authoritarian personalities, particularly when they act in a group, are a danger to creative personalities.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Longitudinal studies have shown that creative personalities are successful and well balanced. In particular, creative personalities are more successful and well balanced than authoritarian personalities.

However the authoritarian just don't understand the creative and so think they are crazy. Or they think something implausible such as they went to the border of insanity and came back creative.

I think that authoritarian personalities, particularly when they act in a group, are a danger to creative personalities.
    Do you have a link or a title or a reference (journal name, volume, date, page#) of these longitudinal studies?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Oh my god. I hope the "creative" people I know never come upon this.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Oh my god. I hope the "creative" people I know never come upon this.
    Creative personalities already know this, but authoritarian personalities don't.

I hope the authoritarian personalities learn that they can't tell the difference between chaos and creativity.

And I hope the creative personalities realise they can't work with the authoritarian personalities and they should be left behind to clean up the chaotic.