User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Default Logic and Problem Solving

Des anyone have any tips?

It seems to me like you either have it or you don't. My guess is that some people adapt to be logical, to think logically, or perhaps it's partly genetic.

This could of course be related to the thinking cognitive functions... but I'm certain I'm an NT, and I'm not exactly the most logical person around. I have plenty of intuitivity, and many Ti traits, just not logic and focus. Are there any XNTPs like this?

It kinda sucks, I really like my maths, physics and chemistry, but as soon as they ask me to solve a problem, everything I know becomes useless, I can only solve it, if someone explains how to do it. advice?
    5 3 9

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    It kinda sucks, I really like my maths, physics and chemistry, but as soon as they ask me to solve a problem, everything I know becomes useless, I can only solve it, if someone explains how to do it. advice?
    I don't like problems or puzzles even crossword puzzles. I prefer to experience a problem, and experience the frustration, and then sit back and let it all come together. Often I don't solve the problem, rather I see it from a new perspective. But really what happens is that in mulling over a problem, I change myself. I find that it is not the problem that is the problem, but me. So if I let myself change, the problem changes.

Of course once I let a problem change me, I am faced with new problems.

So my approach to problems is to be constantly changing myself. But each change must be integrated into past changes. And so I keep my integrity.

Riva

^ Nice post (I must admit), especially on the point regarding changing yourself.

But heck you think way too much. Seriously you think too much Vic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I don't like problems or puzzles even crossword puzzles. I prefer to experience a problem, and experience the frustration, and then sit back and let it all come together. Often I don't solve the problem, rather I see it from a new perspective. But really what happens is that in mulling over a problem, I change myself. I find that it is not the problem that is the problem, but me. So if I let myself change, the problem changes.

Of course once I let a problem change me, I am faced with new problems.

So my approach to problems is to be constantly changing myself. But each change must be integrated into past changes. And so I keep my integrity.
    I actually read about something very similar to this approach. I can definitely see where it comes from, I might give it a test run this weekend I think I'll just practice all day, trying different techniques, until I find one that fits.
    5 3 9

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    ^ Nice post (I must admit), especially on the point regarding changing yourself.

But heck you think way too much. Seriously you think too much Vic.
    You are quite right, I think too much.

I remember as a little boy driving past the University of Sydney with my father, and I asked him, what do they do there?

He paused for a moment and said, "They think".

And then I remember working on the Leyland assembly line putting together P76 engines, and how it stopped me thinking altogether.

So I quit the assembly line and went to University and discovered a whole world of thinking.

I was very ambitious for at the entrance of Fisher Library was an updated collection of learned periodicals from around the world, and I decided in my hubris to learn enough to read and understand every one.

But out of the hundreds there I learnt to understand about five or six. But still, I love going to the library and read about the small part of the thinking world I understand.

But you're right, thinking is addictive, but what an adventure.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Des anyone have any tips?

It seems to me like you either have it or you don't. My guess is that some people adapt to be logical, to think logically, or perhaps it's partly genetic.

This could of course be related to the thinking cognitive functions... but I'm certain I'm an NT, and I'm not exactly the most logical person around. I have plenty of intuitivity, and many Ti traits, just not logic and focus. Are there any XNTPs like this?

Find the activities that you enjoy and are naturally good at, and then focus on those. Don't worry too much about the activities that don't suit you. If you still have courses that you have to take that deal with these subjects, then put enough effort into passing them and then move on. Put more focus on the activities that naturally do suit you, and always devote your absolute best to these activities.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com