User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How you handle STRESS!!!

Senior Member Array logan235711's Avatar

hmm, well different amounts of stress make me respond different ways, but I guess overall I try to notice these moments and try to put myself into a different perspective on viewing things as usually these moments are just because I or others and hyperfocusing on just one way of looking at things : ) Also, distancing myself from others during the initial moments of this is good so I can reflect and gain some bearings, as, for example, if I am constanting being bombarded by new information then trying to gain bearings can become a lot harder--so minimizing new input for a time and re-evaluating what you have in a new light : )

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    May I recommend VMWare?

It's great for learning and playing with new operating systems.
    Thanks...maybe I will. *grumbles*

Maybe I should just send the stupid thing's still under warranty.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Long course triathlon.

The only satisfactory tools I have for coping with stress are geographical exploration and playing music. Going outside and discovering things helps me put things back into perspective whereas music helps me zone out entirely and concentrate on something else. There are other tools:

1. running, aerobic exercise: transforming stress into exhaustion
    2. video games: transforming stress into frustration
    3. masturbation: taking a few minutes recess. Occasionally transforms stress into existential angst
    4. meditation: transforms stress into sluggishness/inertia and even lower productivity (at least in my case)
    5. bodybuilding: transforms stress into physical pain

6. Playing with Optimus Prime: transforming stress into red and blue semi-truck*

* and back again

I carry the stress in my lower back and occasionally out of nowhere my back with just tighten up and I didn't even realize I was stressed. So I started taking up rock climbing at a local place, and I gotta say it's perfect for my type of stress. Doing something physical seems to make us forget about what worried us in the first place.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." J. Krishnamurti

4 so/sp

Yes, physical activities are good distractions and it's a good way to get the endorphins going. Also can help clear the head and help me to keep the big picture in mind. Hiking and being out in nature always helps.

Stress tends to make me feel physically ill - so I'll start feeling like I'm coming down with a cold. Headache, feel the need to lay down, just feel overwhelmed in general. Worry and anxiety. So the symptoms make it difficult for me to motivate myself to do what I need to do -- get out and be active and move around.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Self sustaining supernova Array Zoom's Avatar

Well, I didn't really know this until today, but apparently extreme emotional stress makes me nauseous enough to throw up.

Normally I handle stress by doing something about it. When I can't, and feel helpless or not in control of my own situation... bad.

Casual walks around the neighborhood, soft gentle music, quiet time for reflection and meditation.

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I get away from people and detach/recharge, mainly.

Take long baths and get lost in science fiction/fantasy stories, dim lights, maybe have the radio on the classical music station to block out external sounds. The cat usually hangs out with me, playing with the water. So.. laughter's a good stress-reducer, as well..

Drive in my car at night and listen to music/sing.. I get an energized, optimistic vibe from this.. letting my thoughts wander and just engaging a little in a passion [singing] which is connected to a longterm goal/dream [broadway].

Walk around downtown at night when everything's closed and empty. Think. Write. Wander over to the park and swing on the swings and look at the stars. Wander over to the elementary school near my house and peek in the classroom windows and try to guess which grade the classroom is, based on the construction paper/finger paint projects on the walls. Keep trying to find a way to get on the roof, to no avail. Sit on the jungle-gym there, or up in a tree by the ballfield. Write, or wish I had something to write random thoughts down. Look at the stars some more.
    I come home feeling open, and sort of reborn.

Push myself to learn how to do something new, like, how to use a sewing machine, or assemble/repair something, etc.

Go on a secret, random adventure at 2am, like to the mountains, or the beach, or Canada. [dragging a friend along sometimes (covert operations!)]

When I'm under an enormous amt of stress and these activites are not quite at my disposal.. Sleep. A lot.

[sharing my bed with kitty always makes me happy, needless to say.]
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.