User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Reinvention

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Default Reinvention

On the topic of personal reinvention, what are your thoughts? Are you someone who wants to keep evolving and changing? Do you prefer to remain more or less constant? Do you ever have the feeling of being stagnant?

The Queen of Reinvention: Madonna

If you are a believer in reinvention, how often do you feel the need to do it?
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    On the topic of personal reinvention, what are your thoughts? Are you someone who wants to keep evolving and changing? Do you prefer to remain more or less constant? Do you ever have the feeling of being stagnant?

If you are a believer in reinvention, how often do you feel the need to do it?
    They say Americans are constantly reinventing themselves. But on the other hand they say that in America there is no second act.

No wonder Americans are obsessed with sincerity and phoniness.

But they do say that if you can fake sincerity in America, you've got it made.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Victor, are you familiar with the phrase "fake it till you make it"? I think there is a curious connection between our dreams and our realities. The most successful way to change is to live as though we have the life we want. Much more effective to be a catalyst of change, as compared to just thinking about it.

Faking it until it becomes truth is an art.

In my view, growth and personal evolution are my most important goals. If I feel stagnate, it may mean I need to look at myself from a different perspective.

I don't dictate a time line for growth, as it tends to happen as life plays out. We are a collection of our experiences.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    Faking it until it becomes truth is an art.
    It's called the American Dream. But for so many it is a nightmare.

Thank heavens we are awake to you.

ThatGirl

Those are a lot of noses you've got there.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's called the American Dream. But for so many it is a nightmare.

Thank heavens we are awake to you.
    Good thing I'm not American then :P

Why would it be a nightmare?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Those are a lot of noses you've got there.
    Thanks, I collect them! I usually keep it next to my dust collection.

Phantonym

I wake up every morning, thinking that "This is the first day of the rest of my life!" and go to bed, thinking that "Tomorrow will be the first day of the rest my life!".

No, I really don't but it often feels that way. I find myself both stagnant and wanting to break free from it all and also constantly moving towards something. I definitely want to keep evolving and changing and I guess I do but since I don't really do anything drastic every day, it's more difficult to notice the changes and more often than not, at the end of the day, it feels that there hasn't been any kind of movement. The realization that actually there has been only comes later on because the wheels started moving a while ago.

I guess the feeling of wanting to reinvent oneself can be linked to the seasons changing as well. For me it's often like "out with the old, in with the new" as the seasons change.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

I think growth is essential to living. I think the evolution metaphor is apropos as it is simply necessary for survival. I've always admired people who can rise from the ashes. Is there anything more human than a hero who emerges having overcome a difficult circumstance? Reinvention helps overcome these difficult circumstances. I don't want to become a living relic.

Then again, it's not really reinvention that is necessary to triumph in the process of living. It's a slow continuing through the process of evolution. Ideally, I'd like a balance. I'd like to learn and adapt and change - all symbols of being youthful. Yet, I like the basic imprint or genetic makeup I have. It's uniquely mine. I don't want to completely reinvent at every step because that would be exhausting and take away from the beauty and efficacy of the process. Better to rely on the natural incremental learning that's built in. Evolve slowly over time, keeping the basic imprint and yet grow stronger by becoming a little more adaptable with age than less...