User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    abcd

Default bad event, what you really are

What's your thoughts about this quote?
    It's in one of the best tv show ever, OZ

Augustus Hill: (narrating) If you listen to the poets, they'll tell you that a big, bad event in someone's life changes them. If you lose the woman you love or your legs, you suddenly find a kind of beauty inside yourself. That's what they say, the poets. Truth is, you don't. After a big, bad event, you only become more of the person you already were. It's after a big, bad event that you find out the real person you always were inside

I think it's absolutely the truth.

Phantonym

It's true when that big, bad event made you introspect more and it made you discover, explore and basically develop what you already possessed within yourself.

But...if the event made you try to escape the emotions that were associated with it and everything you've done after that event is to suppress all of that, you're more lost than ever.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    I partially agree... But it's easy to read a quote like this and agree with it.. And there are far worse things in life than losing the woman you love or your legs.. So I'm curious as to what kind of traumatic events you have endured in your life for you to come up with a definitive conclusion about this?? Some events change people for the worse, but that doesn't mean that they were necessarily bad people to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    It's true when that big, bad event made you introspect more and it made you discover, explore and basically develop what you already possessed within yourself. But...if the event made you try to escape the emotions that were associated with it and everything you've done after that event is to suppress all of that, you're more lost than ever.
    I agree.. The event itself can make a person find strength in themselves that they never knew they had... but the aftermath is something different.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't necissarily agree... it can crush a person and nearly break them... it can drive them to be the burnt remains of who they once were... it depends on the event and such really
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Yes, I would say that the potential for growth centers around chaos. However as others have said, it is all situational. A horrible occurrence has great potential in either direction.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    abcd

Thanks to all for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    So I'm curious as to what kind of traumatic events you have endured in your life for you to come up with a definitive conclusion about this?? Some events change people for the worse, but that doesn't mean that they were necessarily bad people to begin with.
    Many many years of familiar problems (several health issues expecially of my parents) but I don't want to talk about this. And however a lot of people can have problems higher than mine.

Btw, the quote doesn't say that you change for the worse, even if it could be a possibility. It says that you become more the person you really were inside.
    And for me I think it's true. Maybe I'm wrong in generalizing.
    Bye.
    Last edited by Lady_X; 12-23-2013 at 09:07 PM.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Augustus Hill: (narrating) If you listen to the poets, they'll tell you that a big, bad event in someone's life changes them. If you lose the woman you love or your legs, you suddenly find a kind of beauty inside yourself. That's what they say, the poets. Truth is, you don't. After a big, bad event, you only become more of the person you already were. It's after a big, bad event that you find out the real person you always were inside
    Nice .. I'd like to believe there is truth in that.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ

It's not necessarily one or the other. Maybe the real person you always were inside is beautiful and you just never realized it until the traumatic event.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTP

I perform best when things are at their worst. =)

What's your thoughts about this quote?
    It's in one of the best tv show ever, OZ

This makes sense if you think about it in terms of Jungian Complexes. Bad events force one to deal with complexes and come to terms with aspects of themselves that they previously looked down upon - losing one's innocence, so to speak.