• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

bad event, what you really are

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
What's your thoughts about this quote?
It's in one of the best tv show ever, OZ

Augustus Hill: (narrating) If you listen to the poets, they'll tell you that a big, bad event in someone's life changes them. If you lose the woman you love or your legs, you suddenly find a kind of beauty inside yourself. That's what they say, the poets. Truth is, you don't. After a big, bad event, you only become more of the person you already were. It's after a big, bad event that you find out the real person you always were inside

I think it's absolutely the truth.

P

Phantonym

It's true when that big, bad event made you introspect more and it made you discover, explore and basically develop what you already possessed within yourself.

But...if the event made you try to escape the emotions that were associated with it and everything you've done after that event is to suppress all of that, you're more lost than ever.

H

Hate

I partially agree... But it's easy to read a quote like this and agree with it.. And there are far worse things in life than losing the woman you love or your legs.. So I'm curious as to what kind of traumatic events you have endured in your life for you to come up with a definitive conclusion about this?? Some events change people for the worse, but that doesn't mean that they were necessarily bad people to begin with.

It's true when that big, bad event made you introspect more and it made you discover, explore and basically develop what you already possessed within yourself. But...if the event made you try to escape the emotions that were associated with it and everything you've done after that event is to suppress all of that, you're more lost than ever.

I agree.. The event itself can make a person find strength in themselves that they never knew they had... but the aftermath is something different.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't necissarily agree... it can crush a person and nearly break them... it can drive them to be the burnt remains of who they once were... it depends on the event and such really :)

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Yes, I would say that the potential for growth centers around chaos. However as others have said, it is all situational. A horrible occurrence has great potential in either direction.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Thanks to all for answers.

So I'm curious as to what kind of traumatic events you have endured in your life for you to come up with a definitive conclusion about this?? Some events change people for the worse, but that doesn't mean that they were necessarily bad people to begin with.

Many many years of familiar problems (several health issues expecially of my parents) but I don't want to talk about this. And however a lot of people can have problems higher than mine.

Btw, the quote doesn't say that you change for the worse, even if it could be a possibility. It says that you become more the person you really were inside.
And for me I think it's true. Maybe I'm wrong in generalizing.
Bye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Augustus Hill: (narrating) If you listen to the poets, they'll tell you that a big, bad event in someone's life changes them. If you lose the woman you love or your legs, you suddenly find a kind of beauty inside yourself. That's what they say, the poets. Truth is, you don't. After a big, bad event, you only become more of the person you already were. It's after a big, bad event that you find out the real person you always were inside

Nice .. I'd like to believe there is truth in that.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ

It's not necessarily one or the other. Maybe the real person you always were inside is beautiful and you just never realized it until the traumatic event.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I perform best when things are at their worst. =)

Little_Sticks

This makes sense if you think about it in terms of Jungian Complexes. Bad events force one to deal with complexes and come to terms with aspects of themselves that they previously looked down upon - losing one's innocence, so to speak.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There is truth to the idea that difficult experiences can bring out certain traits in ourselves more strongly. But I'm not sure I agree with the statement, "you become more the person you really are". That implies that if you fall apart after a certain event, you were "truly" a weak person to begin with, and if you cope with it admirably and even discover new strengths in yourself then you were "truly" a strong person.

We're all a mixture of strengths and weaknesses, and adversity can bring out either, or both. It depends on a number of factors, such as the amount of support and positive influences in your life, how motivated you are to push through pain or discomfort rather than avoid it, and what else is going on in your life at the time.

H

Hate

Many many years of familiar problems (several health issues expecially of my parents) but I don't want to talk about this.

I can respect that, but on the other hand, why make such a bold statement in your OP if you’re not willing to back up your argument?

Btw, the quote doesn't say that you change for the worse, even if it could be a possibility. It says that you become more the person you really were inside.

Oh I know what the quote says, trust me. So I guess I’ll rephrase my point. You’re claiming that a “big bad event” makes you become more of the person you really were inside. When in fact a "big bad event" can actually make you become less of the person you once were. So your implication means that if a bad event made you become “weaker,” then the person you were truly inside was “weak” to begin with. Sorry… I don’t think so. Its like Whatever said in her earlier post. You can just end up being the burnt remains of who you once were. Not everything that doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Some things just leave you beat up and damaged.

And for me I think it's true.

Bye.

Btw, that’s the second time you’ve made a statement like that with absolutely nothing to back it up with.

Bye.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I thought it was money that made you more of the person you already were, not trauma.

I guess I'm a fundamentally weak person.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
damn... and I thought that it was alcohol! :devil:

Lark

In a crisis your shadow might assert itself and you could grow overall from that or you could become ill and traumatised and your reptilian brain/lower brain just takes over and you get stuck repeating trauma.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

I had a good friend who was quite a partier, and turned into an asshole when he got to college. He was in a really bad auto accident that left him paralyzed. He changed a lot from that. He became an advocate for disabled people and a lawyer. He says that it was the best thing that happened to him. Is he glad that he lost the use of his limbs? No, but he gained an altered awareness that he used to his benefit.
So IMO life is too complex and too various for such statements as the quote above to be true in a global sense.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
damn... and I thought that it was alcohol! :devil:

No, alcohol just makes you think everything's a good idea. Money gives you the means to do more of what you want to do -- so, you can help people with it, or you can be an asshole and hide behind it. The money doesn't corrupt, it just makes you more of what you were already.

H

Hate

No, alcohol just makes you think everything's a good idea.

Haha... that's a good point

Money gives you the means to do more of what you want to do -- so, you can help people with it, or you can be an asshole and hide behind it. The money doesn't corrupt, it just makes you more of what you were already.

You bring up a good point about the money thing.. You do find out who people are when they come into a little bit of money.. I wish I had some.. Then maybe I can find out who I really am. :laugh: But no money seems to be coming my way though... only trauma.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
... Truth is, you don't. After a big, bad event, you only become more of the person you already were. It's after a big, bad event that you find out the real person you always were inside

I think the bolded concept is flawed and it nullifies everything else. What is the "real you?"