User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default stigma of mental illness, discuss

I hate that just because i don't fit a sterotype i can't possibly have a mental illness, the fact that i take meds must mean i'm not trying hard enough, that I'm weak. When in reality no matter what I did I still had symptoms its just frustrating that strangers assume that I'm a certain way because I choose to be that way that I can change at the snap of a finger.

feel free too add own experiences or to ask questions.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

hello delightful chicken,

The trick with any mental illness is that:
    1) they are poorly understood to begin with, poorly categorized, poorly explained
    2) They all function on an equilibrium from perfectly normal to completely unable to function in society. You can have a diagnosis, yet be anywhere on that spectrum given how little they understand the root cause.

The benefits to having a label is that it gives you access to medication which can help you regain balance or enhance your life short or long term. It'd be great to say that a certain medication fits a certain illness, but in reality mental illness totally fucks up the Ti world of logical consistency.

There are about ten major family of meds and deciding which med will work is pretty much a crapshoot and gamble.

So dont feel too bad.

As for people who try an tell you what you are? Fuck them. Build your own solution and tell them to fuck off. I think you are pretty awesome myself and you make me smile when I am having a crappy day as you are so funny. Hugs to you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

its about learning why the body is reacting that way. changing doesn't imply it'll happen. besides i see the patterns so many times of what i went through for decades that its hard for me to resist the urge to say something. mental illness is an inappropriate terminology in my opinion. it does denote a break down in discussion. people do get blinded by their lack of serotonin for a better word. and you can come to a point of assuming that's all it is, thats the way to go, why dig when covered by a blanket across the mind. the functionality might be there but the capacity to understand to why its happening forgotten. i suppose in many ways mental illness is still a stigma in society and very few truly open up in talking about it. but i don't think its just a mental illness in very many instances.

MBTI
    yupp

I keep notes of what situations make it worst, and i know to be prepared for such situations, but its more complex for me than just being like oh I'm sad I need to do this and this which is true to an extent, but those things have never fully helped me even looking what have going for me doesn't help.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

One of the greatest sufferings of the mentally ill is social exclusion because of stigmatising.

So one of the best things we can do is befriend a person suffering a mental illness.

Teenagers are particularly cruel to the mentally ill because they are only concerned with conforming to their peer group.

So it takes a truly mature person to befriend a sufferer of mental illness.

Ronald Laing was such a person who befriended his schizophrenic patients. And he was much loved, not only by his patients, but by us all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I hate that just because i don't fit a sterotype i can't possibly have a mental illness, the fact that i take meds must mean i'm not trying hard enough, that I'm weak. When in reality no matter what I did I still had symptoms its just frustrating that strangers assume that I'm a certain way because I choose to be that way that I can change at the snap of a finger.

feel free too add own experiences or to ask questions.
    I feel this way with my mom sometimes, especially the not trying hard enough bit. It's like she thinks that just because I'm on two perscription drugs that my mental problems should just magically disappear. She says, 'You're on your pills, this shouldn't be happening.'
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    yupp

my mom's actually very supportive, believe it or not, I'm lucky in that regard.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Forget about labels. Notice your breath for 4 seconds, in and out, twice. If you're trying to figure something out of it, you are missing the point. If you do notice something [missing, e.g. mental noise] then you're on the right track, just start from there.

Repeat abundantly.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah- I'm aware of the public image attached to bipolar disorder- especially by ignorant people, so I just don't tell anyone about it!

I have enough trouble without getting slapped with a "crazy" label as well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    yeah- I'm aware of the public image attached to bipolar disorder- especially by ignorant people, so I just don't tell anyone about it!

I have enough trouble without getting slapped with a "crazy" label as well
    do you find that when you've told people in the past that they treated you differently, or made a comment because you didn't fit the sterotype?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all