User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Possibly the greatest suffering of those with a mental illness is social exclusion and loneliness.

Good for you for trying to bring light in regardless. I think it will take a few decades, but we'll make dramatic changes to people's interpretations much like sexism/racism have made dramatic changes in the past few decades. We can never get rid of it because humans all have their dark sides, but we've seen more light brought to the surface and a reduction in fear. The time for the stigma of mental health to dramatically shift is coming and it's coming nearer because of people like you.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

While I agree that the stigma of mental illness is a concern, there's another great ignorance about psychology that I feel is worth mentioning.

I think sometimes people are far too eager to label each other (and themselves) with mental disorders, because it's an easy way of explaining away problems without dealing with the underlying causes. They become excuses for not dealing with your kids, or to not take responsibility for your own life, or whatever. People treat mental disorders like viruses, as if some quantifiable entity has invaded their system and made them dysfunctional.

While genuine psychological research is important, some people can treat it as a convenient web of excuses. I feel that a lot of people on this site do that everyday.
    Hello

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I think sometimes people are far too eager to label each other (and themselves)
    But we come to this site specifically to label ourselves with four magic letters from MBTI.

Here we revel in labelling ourselves. We argue about which label is appropriate. And we worry we may be mislabelled.

And we label ourselves to turn us into things so that we will not have to feel our own feelings. Labelling is a form of armour against our own feelings.

Our own feelings are such a threat, we cower together here to protect ourselves from what are simply our ongoing feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But we come to this site specifically to label ourselves with four magic letters from MBTI.

Here we revel in labelling ourselves. We argue about which label is appropriate. And we worry we may be mislabelled.

And we label ourselves to turn us into things so that we will not have to feel our own feelings. Labelling is a form of armour against our own feelings.

Our own feelings are such a threat, we cower together here to protect ourselves from what are simply our ongoing feelings.
    Hello