User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 74

  1. #51
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    A very good point, mental illness, any sort of illness in fact, shouldnt be a free pass.
    I agree with this, that's why I've only told strangers online and maybe 3 people about mine. Online no one cares or don't believe you, and the 3 people i told i had to.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #52
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    But then again, maybe my ignorance will blind me from the truth.
    Do you think that you could convince someone with severe Alzheimers to wake up to reality and remember who they and their loved ones are? That you could do a better job than their loved ones who are desperately trying to "bring them back" already?

    Why or why not? If not, why do you presume that mental illness broadly defined is any different?

    You are ignorant. That's not always an insult. I'm ignorant about a lot of things, but like a lot of people in this thread, the daily consequences of mental illness is not one of them.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  3. #53
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I hate that just because i don't fit a sterotype i can't possibly have a mental illness, the fact that i take meds must mean i'm not trying hard enough, that I'm weak. When in reality no matter what I did I still had symptoms its just frustrating that strangers assume that I'm a certain way because I choose to be that way that I can change at the snap of a finger.

    feel free too add own experiences or to ask questions.
    You're talking about a very common and ignorant attitude some people have about the mentally ill. For example, I mentioned to a customer of mine that a friend of mine's schizophrenic son was doing a lot better these days. She replied that he must have decided to straighten himself up. I told her it was the new medication. (A schizophrenic can't just "straighten up.")

    That's at least excusable, in that this woman is a hick who doesn't have a clue anyway. But doctors and nurses, especially doctors, should know better. On the contrary, doctors treat mental patients differently, almost as if they are holding back the urge to ridicule. They know everything there is to know about the body but are completely brain-dead about the mind. Hospital nurses commonly refer to mental health care nurses as "babysitters." And psychiatric students in medical school are treated with a certain disdain by students in other fields.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #54
    Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I hate when people dismiss mental illness, but I also hate those people who claim they're bi-polar to excuse their assholery.
    + 100.

    I also think bipolar disorder is frequently over-diagnosed. I'm not sure why, but many therapists administer a survey called the MDQ (Mood Disorder Questionnaire) without taking the time to explore any other potential psychological symptoms/issues at play. The thing is, if you're so much as having a bad day and a new therapist makes you take that thing, you'll score as bipolar. It's ridiculous. Maybe some of them consider it an easy out - to just prescribe some drugs and hopefully watch the magic happen. I don't honestly know, but it feels like lazy care to me.

    Maybe I'm just embittered. I was misdiagnosed bipolar, and for a while I knew very little - so I just accepted that. When my long-term problems weren't going away, I went back to this woman and asked her if maybe we got it wrong and should try some other approach. She vehemently shook her head and declared that I couldn't be anything else, because I'm "too nice." I thought, holy crap - there are a ton of things wrong with that statement. After realizing that her personal biases were getting in the way of my health, I stood up and left her office on the spot. I have since found a therapist who is much better suited to me, but it was hard work finding one.

    So, while many of these cases are genuine, you also end up with a ton of people on medication they don't need. Or you'll meet others, who, perhaps out of a desire to feel unique, cutely claim they're bipolar because they can go from down one minute to obnoxiously hyper the next (which, really, is something many of us are capable of). The term gets thrown around too loosely, like those who say (with some measure of seriousness) that they're obsessive-compulsive because they like to organize their M&Ms by color before eating them.

    I agree that one's diagnosis shouldn't necessarily be a "get out of jail free" card, especially if it's more manageable than Alzheimer's (for example). I have a friend who wears her disordered label like a badge of honor. I mean, I love her to death, just...not when she's doing that crap. I think she has kind of romanticized the idea of being fragile and dangerous. When she fights with her significant other over extremely ridiculous things, she shrugs it off and says, "Well, I suffer from X and he should know better." Drives. Me. Insane.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

    ~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~

  5. #55
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I hate when people dismiss mental illness, but I also hate those people who claim they're bi-polar to excuse their assholery.
    But isn't 'hate' a pretty strong word to describe that?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #56
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    But isn't 'hate' a pretty strong word to describe that?
    I HATE when people say 'hate' is a strong word. :p

  7. #57
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I HATE when people say 'hate' is a strong word. :p
    i hate when people say they hate that people say hate is a strong word :P
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  8. #58
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Are you btw an outsider in the States if you claim to have no mental-illness ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #59
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Are you btw an outsider in the States if you claim to have no mental-illness ?
    good question
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  10. #60
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Are you btw an outsider in the States if you claim to have no mental-illness ?
    I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years thinking you have no mental illness becomes a mental illness.

    "Delusional derealization disorder"

Similar Threads

  1. Is Ideological Bias a Form of Mental Illness?
    By Mal12345 in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-05-2017, 10:42 PM
  2. Tattoos are a form of mental illness
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 01-14-2017, 10:49 PM
  3. "Dr. Thomas Szasz: The Myth Of Mental Illness" and other articles
    By Olm the Water King in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2017, 05:58 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM
  5. The Americanization of Mental Illness
    By Showbread in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO