• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is depression a benefit in disguise?

VerilyVinx

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w2
So I think I have some interesting things to add here (unless they've already been covered) as someone with a condition that needs to be medicated.

I'm all for medication if they're deemed necessary by a mental health expert and a doctor. I myself need medication or else I have my "unwanted funhouse effect" as I call it. And I don't just suffer from hallucinations and delusions, but also mood issues like severe anxiety and rapid fire manic episodes.

I think people being prescribed medication at the first sign of depression and having nothing else done for them is a huge issue, and this is something that in my life I touch on a lot, both as someone in the mental health community and as a Pagan. I see a lot of people turn to unproven holistic methods intended for spiritual enlightenment only (crystals, herbs, rituals, etc.) because they aren't being helped by doctors because of the messed up system and are willing to cling to anything. Similarly, a lot of people are put on medication because they're having sever depression issues and the system fails them by not giving them deeper care to see what the actual problem is, whether it's a hormonal imbalance and requires medication or if it's trauma or situation-related. And so these people remain depressed, remain on medication, continue to self-medicate (substances), and are treated like it's their fault for not seeking better help despite being worn out.

Depression tells us something is wrong, but I'd hardly call it beneficial when the system supposed to help us leaves us to figure things out on our own. Until the system decides to do their job, whether out of kindness or out of utter fear of being overthrown by the people, depression is crippling. Looking at it as beneficial has a lot of the same feel as a rich person saying "Money can't buy everything" while passing by someone on the street who can't afford to eat that day. It's the debate of someone from the outside of depression, looking in and telling someone "You should feel happy you're depressed. Now you can change."

Alice Unchained

So I think I have some interesting things to add here (unless they've already been covered) as someone with a condition that needs to be medicated.

I'm all for medication if they're deemed necessary by a mental health expert and a doctor. I myself need medication or else I have my "unwanted funhouse effect" as I call it. And I don't just suffer from hallucinations and delusions, but also mood issues like severe anxiety and rapid fire manic episodes.

I think people being prescribed medication at the first sign of depression and having nothing else done for them is a huge issue, and this is something that in my life I touch on a lot, both as someone in the mental health community and as a Pagan. I see a lot of people turn to unproven holistic methods intended for spiritual enlightenment only (crystals, herbs, rituals, etc.) because they aren't being helped by doctors because of the messed up system and are willing to cling to anything. Similarly, a lot of people are put on medication because they're having sever depression issues and the system fails them by not giving them deeper care to see what the actual problem is, whether it's a hormonal imbalance and requires medication or if it's trauma or situation-related. And so these people remain depressed, remain on medication, continue to self-medicate (substances), and are treated like it's their fault for not seeking better help despite being worn out.

Depression tells us something is wrong, but I'd hardly call it beneficial when the system supposed to help us leaves us to figure things out on our own. Until the system decides to do their job, whether out of kindness or out of utter fear of being overthrown by the people, depression is crippling. Looking at it as beneficial has a lot of the same feel as a rich person saying "Money can't buy everything" while passing by someone on the street who can't afford to eat that day. It's the debate of someone from the outside of depression, looking in and telling someone "You should feel happy you're depressed. Now you can change."
Do you know about the Hearing Voices network? They treat the whole psychosis thing in a new way by communicating with their hallucinations to find solutions to their problems because hallucinations are part of oneself. I do not know how efficient this is at large but it seems to be working quite well for some. Just wanted to mention it in case it is of any value to you.

VerilyVinx

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w2
Do you know about the Hearing Voices network? They treat the whole psychosis thing in a new way by communicating with their hallucinations to find solutions to their problems because hallucinations are part of oneself. I do not know how efficient this is at large but it seems to be working quite well for some. Just wanted to mention it in case it is of any value to you.

I've never heard of it, and while I don't think it would be of help to me, I do appreciate hearing about it because I can store that away if I meet others that I think might benefit from it. Never know who might need that. I definitely have a different way that I think of that part of my mind, but it's cool to know that's how some people deal with what's going on. Thanks!