User Tag List

First 6141516

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    If the true source is yourself, then you would have it right now. We would all have it. Right?
    What makes you think I don't have peace and happiness, is it because I don't have a halo around my head? I have it in moments, and those moments are amazing, but they're not trophies, they're landmarks. We all *can* have it, and by 'it' I mean a meaningful life, but it needs to be cultivated. And as everything in life, it's not something that can be won once and had for eternity. It has to be continually fought for.

I've never seen a Christian that is more happy or more at peace than happy and at peace people that are not Christians. I have seen plenty attempting to look happier and peacefuller, in many different denominations.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Whether I have true peace or not, whether it's God giving it to me or not. We both possess it. That's the other thing you cannot unsee, there is no single holder of the truth, or exclusive dispensary of happiness. But, there are an unlimited amount of people who want to convince you that there is. The only ones that are right are the ones that tell you that the true source is yourself.
    What makes you think I don't have peace and happiness, is it because I don't have a halo around my head? I have it in moments, and those moments are amazing, but they're not trophies, they're landmarks. We all *can* have it, and by 'it' I mean a meaningful life, but it needs to be cultivated. And as everything in life, it's not something that can be won once and had for eternity. It has to be continually fought for.

I've never seen a Christian that is more happy or more at peace than happy and at peace people that are not Christians. I have seen plenty attempting to look happier and peacefuller, in many different denominations.
    Just going by what you didn't say. If someone has peace, they usually want to proclaim it to others, so they can share in the good feelings. That is what proselytizing is all about.

I, on the contrary, have seen the best people who have the truest smiling faces, and who emit love from their body and aura, be true Christians. I noticed this even when I was an atheist.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Just going by what you didn't say. If someone has peace, they usually want to proclaim it to others, so they can share in the good feelings. That is what proselytizing is all about.

I, on the contrary, have seen the best people who have the truest smiling faces, and who emit love from their body and aura, be true Christians. I noticed this even when I was an atheist.
    Ugh, the toll it takes to affect this is only paid in self-satisfaction. The most smiley beautiful person I know is a non-Christian and worships at the altar of Pharrell Williams. She's an obvious E7.

If I would preach anything, it's not peace and happiness, those are pretty, but fleeting. What I would preach is a meaningful existence, where even your sorrows *count* for something. But I don't preach, but maybe I should?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Ugh, the toll it takes to affect this is only paid in self-satisfaction. The most smiley beautiful person I know is a non-Christian and worships at the altar of Pharrell Williams. She's an obvious E7.

If I would preach anything, it's not peace and happiness, those are pretty, but fleeting. What I would preach is a meaningful existence, where even your sorrows *count* for something. But I don't preach, but maybe I should?
    But you can only have true peace and happiness if you have a meaningful existence in obedience to God.

And I don't just mean smiley, silly. I mean that genuine smile of love, that never ends, and comes quickly to the eyes, and seeps into your heart. Haven't you seen it?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

But you can only have[I] true[/I] peace and happiness if you have a meaningful existence in obedience to God.

And I don't just mean smiley, silly. I mean that genuine smile of love, that never ends, and comes quickly to the eyes, and seeps into your heart. Haven't you seen it?
    As far as true peace an happiness, I disagree about the idea that you can only have it in obedience to God, and I've never seen or felt evidence to the contrary. If there is a God, he gave me my senses and my reasoning, so I must honor that.

I met a girl at a bar yesterday, she smiled at me like that, it was beautiful... it wasn't Godly, though, at least not by Christian reckoning. She did for a moment try to suspend her Atheism to express that she felt we met for a reason, fate. It was a moment, due to circumstances, that was meaningful by its humanity, but would have been denied it's beauty, because you would withhold the word 'true' from it.

Anyway, I know these arguments and how they go. I've seen people read Bible verses to each other for hours at a time for years worth of Mondays and have seen nobody change their minds. Good day AGA.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

But you can only have true peace and happiness if you have a meaningful existence in obedience to God.

Then why aren't the religious statistically less likely to be depressed than anyone else?

Spiritual and religious beliefs as risk factors for the onset of major depression: an international cohort study

If you don't want to click:

Results The analyses included 8318 attendees. Of participants reporting a spiritual understanding of life at baseline, 10.5% had an episode of depression in the following year compared to 10.3% of religious participants and 7.0% of the secular group (p < 0.001). However, the findings varied significantly across countries, with the difference being significant only in the UK, where spiritual participants were nearly three times more likely to experience an episode of depression than the secular group [OR 2.73, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.59–4.68]. The strength of belief also had an effect, with participants with strong belief having twice the risk of participants with weak belief. There was no evidence of religion acting as a buffer to prevent depression after a serious life event.

Conclusions These results do not support the notion that religious and spiritual life views enhance psychological well-being.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think I read somewhere (sorry don't have the source) that depressive people better assess their own abilities and shortcomings than non-depressive people. There is a tendency for most people to think they are above average in most things and depressives are less likely to make this error. I also think they are more aware that reality can be harsh sometimes and less likely to just take things for granted.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne